Allergic reaction to our Dane, Human Allergies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic reaction to our Dane, Human Allergies

We recently got a puppy "Kona" a little over a month ago. While we didn't experience any allergies from him up until a couple weeks ago my wife has just started to show signs of being allergic to him now.

When playing with the dog she shows signs of bumps and red areas on her arm or neck that are itchy. These bumps almost look like bites or scratches where the skin is inflamed. We have started giving Kona baths once a week but this still happens.

Does something change in the puppies coat chemistry when growing up? He could be playing in the yard and bringing in something.

Anyone else been through this? How did you go about facing this battle?

Originally posted by sdtaco View Post
    We recently got a puppy "Kona" a little over a month ago. While we didn't experience any allergies from him up until a couple weeks ago my wife has just started to show signs of being allergic to him now.

When playing with the dog she shows signs of bumps and red areas on her arm or neck that are itchy. These bumps almost look like bites or scratches where the skin is inflamed. We have started giving Kona baths once a week but this still happens.

Does something change in the puppies coat chemistry when growing up? He could be playing in the yard and bringing in something.

Anyone else been through this? How did you go about facing this battle?
    My hubby has been sneezing lately when around the dog.. and if I pet him.. on some days, i get these red bumps and I itch where I have touched him. its there for a few minutes and it goes away. Im dealing with it.. i love my dog WAY to much... haha.. i mean im not having breathing troubles! I hope you get some answers on here... maybe a daily antihistamine... zyrtec, clartin... it might help her
    Nicole

Comment

I have similar problems. I know I am allergic to dogs but I have one anyway. I have seen an allergist and I am getting weekly allergy shots. I have learned that the slobber will cause reactions. I get the red bumps on my arms where he has drooled/slobbered. It does itch, but it goes away. I have not had my shots long enough yet for me to see any results yet. Duke lives inside and sleeps with me. I take benedryl sometimes at night if I feel like I am having allergic reactions from him.

Comment

Yes!! And the best I have found for it is to wash the area with soap & water and then put on a little cortizone cream. The red itchy little bumps will go away but I doubt that it will ever stop. You just learn to live with it. Keep the floors & furniture dander free (hair free) & make your bedroom your space(if this is causing any breathing issues).
        sigpic
        Roxy & Ace

Comment

My sister inlaw is allergic to dogs and cats, but theres a special shampoo that my vet gave me the recipe for. They use is and shes completely fine. Its made of regular Dawn dishsoap, betadine, and bleach(yes I know, but its what vets use at alot of clinics)....I can get the recipe specifics if you need.

Comment

I couldn't even imagine being allergic to dogs!

Just know that it may not always be the dog one is allergic to. If the dog plays outside in the grass, or as mine, run through the weeds on open range, they could have something on their fur that is causing a reaction.

Comment

I'm allergic to dogs, but have always had dogs. I take allergy meds.
              Mom to Leonardo and Titus

Comment

[QUOTE=mistified247;610583]Keep the floors & furniture dander free (hair free) & make your bedroom your space... QUOTE]

Zyrtec/claritin... these will probably help. Mistified247 is right about keeping the dog out of your bedroom (also, off your sofa and places you lounge)..... showering before you go to bed will help remove animal hair and dander.
                If you're still miserable after trying over the counter meds, see your primary care physician as there are some additional meds that may give you better results (ie Singulair, or a nasal spray, etc.)
                If you (or someone in the household) have reactive airway disease/ asthma, and the dog is provoking wheezing, you really need to see your PCP ASAP as you may need an inhaler.
                Hope you get your symptoms under control soon....I know it sucks!.
                sigpicDanemommd
                Dante and Louis

Comment

My husband is allergic to dogs. He use to get the red bumps & rash after petting the dog. Now he takes Zyrtec & is getting weekly desensitizing injections. He rarely breaks out now. Good luck.
                  sigpic Brenda
                  RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                  Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Wow, Thanks for all the responses. When I did my original search only dog allergies came up and no results about human allergies.

We are trying to clean more to keep the hair and dander down. Odd that is just started happening and not right when we got Kona.

We will try and post pics so it can be documented...

Comment

Dogs are not bad enough to bother anyone's breathing like cats do, but if my husband gets scratched by a dogs nails, or puppy bites from when Reilly was little, he gets welts. It is easy to deal with because it is only when his skin is broken, so it is a minor issue.
                      Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                      Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                      RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Lifetime sufferer of asthma and allergies to almost everything here:

Get your wife to go to the allergist to get tested. Because like reynosa_k9's said, if your wife is without a history of allergies to dogs it might be that your baby got into something (mildew, ragweed, dust) and that she's reacting to the allergen trapped in the fur. Allergies are also cumulative -- you may find that stepping up the vacuuming and washing will alleviate her symptoms (there will be fewer irritants for her to react against); carpeting exacerbates symptoms because allergens get trapped in the fibers and pad, never to depart.

If it IS the dog, shots work much of the time but are expensive unless insurance covers them and may have to be reinstituted every few years, and like others are saying steroids are very helpful but can create dependency (in my own and anecdotal experience at least). Best of luck!

Comment

The reason you didn't originally have symptoms was it takes time for your immune system to develop an allergy. You have to first be exposed to the allergen (dog hair and dander in this case). Now that your body has seen the allergen and decided that it doesn't like it, it has all of the cells and defenses in place to attack the allergen when it "sees" it, just like your body would do if it encountered bacteria.

The best bang for your buck is Zyrtec (cetirizine). You can buy it in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco for next to nothing. The bottle says to take 10mg (one tablet) daily. Try that for a week or two and if you have no improvement, it is fine to up the dose to 10mg, twice daily. Be careful when doubling the dose as, although it doesn't make you as drowsy as benadryl will, it can still cause you to be a little sleepy at first. Also be aware that it takes almost a week of regularly taking the medication for the drug to get to a constant therapeutic dose.

I take 10mg of Zyrtec twice daily for my seasonal allergies and I am pretty much symptom free now.
                          sigpic

Comment

Now that you know the weekly baths aren't making a difference, hopefully you will cut back on those. Too many baths will dry out your pup's skin.

Martha
                            sigpic

Comment

If you can, I would get allergy tested. That will give you a "for sure" answer as to what is causing the reaction. I am allergic to all my animals as well as many environmental things and have been getting shots for nearly two years. The difference has been amazing.
                              Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X