Thundershirt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thundershirt

My trainer feels that we have hit a point in Belle's training where we have delt with most of the puppy sillies and now we are dealing with her 'core' fears. She has made AMAZING progress and I am so proud of her! She is a different dog! The trainer has suggested that we look into a thundershirt to assist with increasing her confidence in many situations. She is actually not afraid of thunder but she is nervous when she encounters anything out of the ordinary (and her definition of ordinary is a very short list!). My trainer is moving to another city and although he is going to introduce us to another trainer he trusts, it won't be the same for Belle. My questions are...does the thundershirt ( with continued training of course) help with nervousness and stress in social and training situations? I am finding them online for $30-40, is this a good price and are there any good deals out there? I have read in the archives about using a tight t-shirt but,while looks aren't everything, I'd prefer something "nice" to wear in public. We fight off enough unwanted attention from crowds as it is! Oh, and how is the fit? I am going to measure her around the deepest part of her chest like the guide shows, do the shirts fit true to size? Any personal experiences would be welcome. I am excited about this and the science behind the technique is fascinating to me! Thanks!

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

I don't have firsthand experience, but am intrigued as my bully is afraid of storms. Getting worse each year. They are advertised here in Chicago. I understand there is a money back guarantee? If so, sounds like it's worth a try. Would also like to hear from someone that has one.
    sigpic
    Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

They are not only used for thunder but for fears in general. There is a good video out there of a dog terrified of car rides (just looked, its on their website: http://www.thundershirt.com/). They showed a before and after video and if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would not believe it.

It is certainly worth a try. There is a similiar product out there, I forget what its called (anxiety wrap, maybe?). I do know that for one of the products, people say that it stops working over time........but I don't remember if its the thundershirt or the other one.
      sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Our goal is to phase it out over time anyway. I have watched several videos on it and read the archives here on DOL. It just seems like such an interesting idea. plus, if my trainer is behind it, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming!

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

I love love love the thundershirt! I have one for my Jazz and she wears it when we go to crowded places like pet stores (I have a thread here if you search the archives) We have successfully weaned out of it most of the time. There are phases that she will need it for a week or so and then she is good to go again. I just recently purchased one for my yorkie/maltese mix as he was licking non-stop and several here thought it was anxiety. So it arrived yesterday. I threw it on him and he decreased the licking significantly within minutes! It wasn't totally gone so I added a couple of drops of lavender oil to the shirt and he totally quit licking all of the way (relaxed enough to fall off of the back of the couch......oops!)

I do like the design of the thundershirt better than the anxiety wrap adn they are only 1$ diffence.

Size: Jazz is 35" and 90-97# The XL fits her well. She'd have to gain a good amount to go up to the next size. I had the larger one originally and finally decided she'd ever grow into it so we donated it on. Oh and if you dry it in the dryer, it does shrink length wise---- oops!

STL42 will get you free shipping!

Em
          sigpic
          Emily
          Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
          Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
          Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Thanks! Off to order one now!

Comment

Just ordered one - I've heard great things about them. My trainer has a few of them for her dogs (Boston Terriers) and she said it is amazing what they do!

PS - Thanks Jazzandcompany for the coupon code!!

Comment

I would love to hear about people's experiences with the shirts. I am a COTA/L and work with children many of whom have issues with sensory integration. S.I. was really what made me want to be an OT. The principles behind the shirt have been around for years ( weighted vests, weighted blankets, deep pressure for calming) so it is great to see carry over to help our canines with S.I. issues.

Comment

Kathy - I will tell you once I get it!

Comment

Hi!

I'm a little late to post here ..

However, Hoss loves his Thundershirt!

We use it to help ease his anxieties about being left alone at home. I can't tell you how much it has helped him!

I will put it on him anytime we are entering into a "stressful" situation! I believe it eases his tensions and allows me to work with him and helps him to concentrate on me and not on being scared. Hoss isn't afraid of thunderstorms or fireworks ... I just think he likes that "safe" feeling the shirt provides.

I also like to add that Hoss will bring me his shirt in the morning when he knows it's a "work" day. He gets excited for me to put it on.

Now, it's not a cure all. He has still chewed 2 hangers, 2 remote controls, shredded multiple pieces of paper ... BUT ... no more howling, drooling & panting when we aren't home.

The XL fits him well, even might be a little big, but I think the L would be too small. He is 95lbs and 30"Chest. I bought the XXL at first ... it's HUGE!

I LOVE my thundershirt! I have two of them so I can wash/air-dry one and still have one to put on Hoss ... Thx to Jazz for the heads up on not drying it!

Good Luck! I hope it works!
                    sigpic
                    One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why. ~Author Unknown

Melissa & Hoss!
                    Gracie, Having a ball at the Rainbow Bridge 2/17/16.

Comment

It's been ordered and is on it's way! I can't wait for it to arrive so we can work with it before class. Belle can handle the commands of intermediate obedience well, she just can't handle the distractions and stressors of the class environment. A little calming influence may help her gain a little confidence and be the edge we need to see results when proofing the commands near people. I'm very excited to try it!
                      ETA: I measured her chest with a fabric tape and she was about 33.5". We ordered the XL. She's only 95# so I hope it fits snugly on her slimmer body.

Comment

Cooking supper so this is a quick update but.... Drumroll please... Belle is laying calmly and peacefully on her bed while my brother and law passes through the room, walking right past her!! This is a major milestone for my sweet fearful girl who is the first to run and hide when any type of company is near. She is NOT pacing frantically, panting, or drooling so we don't have to isolate her in a quiet room for her to be calm and comfortable!! I'm so very proud and thrilled that this shirt is calming her and opening a crack in her fearful wall so that we can teach her that people are not scary. Taking it slow tonight, he is not petting her, talking to her, or even looking directly at her. They are just peacefully and calmly sharing the same room!!

Comment

Yay! Good for her, and you!
                          sigpic

Willow says: Can I have my apple, please?

Comment

That great news.

Comment

Yay, that's a wonderful change!
                              sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Working...
                              X