Best toys for a Dane pup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best toys for a Dane pup?

Aside from Kongs & tug o war ropes, I'm not seeing much at our local pet stores that will last more than 5 minutes with our Dane puppy. She disembowels stuff toys in an instant, then shreds them. The toys that you fit an empty water bottle in were a complete disaster. The all plastic squeak toys get shredded too. i though our Lab was tough on toys as a pup, but Willow takes it to a whole new level!

What is your dog's favorite toy?
    Sara

w/ Penny Bella & Willow Jayne
    sigpic

Plastic soda bottles with the top removed.

Comment

My Dane loves the destuffed toys. She destroys regular stuffed toys in minutes but the flat ones with squeakers have lasted about 6 months so far.
      Another thing that has lasted is a thick wool sock with a soda bottle inside and a knot tied at the top.

Comment

These...
        http://www.tuffietoys.com/

And, Nylabones and antlers.

Comment

If you have a Petsmart nearby, I recommend getting the durable squeaky toys. Rufus has done his level best to shake the living daylights out of them, chomp on them in ways that they make very sick sounds, and abuses them mercilessly. Eventually the squeaky parts give out, but the toys are still intact. They are shaped like snakes or dragons usually with multiple squeakers in them.

Comment

Mine both love their Wubba. The Kong with octopus legs. They have a blast with it. It is their number one.

Betty enjoys the Jolly Ball and Kuz with feet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
            sigpic

Comment

Absolutely the durable squeaky toys. I think Petsmart carries the large, heavy duty rubber balls. I don't know the brand but they are super strong and pretty indestructible. He has a blue one. He LOVES the squeaky toys, especially the balls and he enjoys just walking around, squeezing and squeaking away. I also vote for the Wubba Kong and the Jolly Ball. Moose won't fetch so we tire him out by tossing alternating Jolly balls. He has a red one and a blue one. We don't do stuffed toys as he loves to destuff. We bought one of those "indestructible" stuffed toys...while he had to work at it a little harder, he managed to get a nice little hole in it and begin the destuffing routine. Lol!

Comment

Ours has done well with the black Kongs, a basketball in the backyard, any one liter bottles that are empty with wrapper removed and lid/ring thing removed, she loves empty peanut butter jars. Those are the only ones that have lived very long. With the plastic bottles we just keep an eye on her and when they are all flattened out and she is starting to really chew on them we will take them away and get her a different one. I know Kong now makes a sleeve thing to put them in but somebody above me posted they had bad luck with the sleeve so maybe that isn't a good idea. Ours is big into destuffing anything she can find as well...

Comment

We just bought the Wubba Kong today and were giving that a try! He destroys all stuffies and bottles last literally 2 minutes here. I have some of Zeus's old bones he likes. I plan to search the Internet. He did destroy one regular kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                  sigpic
                  Paula
                  Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
                  Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Great ideas all! I've put out a request for soda bottles among my close friends (I try not to keep it in the house) and placed an Amazon order for several of the other items mentioned and some West Paw toys that got great reviews for being tough (Bumi, Tux, Tizzi). Hopefully that will distract her from my shoes & the kids' toys.
                    Sara

sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to throw in that Lola Kate went to the local pet store this afternoon and picket out one of the Kong Wubbas. So far so good and she seems to love it!

Comment

For outside fun we finally bought Klaus a varsity ball.

http://www.varsitypetsonline.com/products/Varsity-Ball

I think it annoys the crap out of him because he can't get his mouth around it, but he absolutely loves it.

Klaus likes to tug so the braided rope tug toys and rubber rings have worked well for us. We've also had good luck with the tuff stuffed Kong toys (football shaped) and the Tuffie Toys for stuffies, but we only get a couple months out of them tops.

Comment

Brutus LOVES cow hoves, will chew then to death. They stink to holy hell but they keep him occupied for a good long time. He actually doesn't destuff which I find odd but will walk about just squaking the damn stuffed toys insistently so I don't buy them:lol: Also a good thickly breaded rope toy. Those are his go to toys that he chooses first.
                          Brutus~ 12-8-12
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.loveandpaws.com/2012/10/d...d-tug-toy.html

The one toy both my dogs love to share, and I made it myself! If you ever box braided those plastic lanyards keychains, this is the same concept, just with 4" wide, 4' long strips of fleece. The tighter you pull the knots the tougher it is.
                            Sara

sigpic

Comment

Best toy out there!

I work at a petsmart and I have people coming in day after day looking for a toy that wont be torn apart in seconds and the only one that I have not had a single person return is the durable dragons. I was so happy when they came out with more now. They have a monkey and alligator as well now..i think. I have 3 now for my great dane puppy who chews through EVERYTHING! But he can't even make a hole in it! The squeaker is gone but he still loves it. My favorite part is the price. It is ToyShoppe brand which normally sells crap toys but this is a winner. Sadly brands like kong, you are paying for the brand name. Also I don't know about other petsmart but my store manager is all about making the pet parents happy so we will gladly return a chewed up toy, no questions asked. If you paid for something that should be durable, it should last more than a week in my opinion. Here is a link of what they look like. I know at my store they are on petperks for 6.99 for the smaller ones and I think 9.99 for the large ones.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Comment

Working...
                              X