Uncontrolled Bowel Movements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncontrolled Bowel Movements

My 10 year old puppy seems to be in great health except for two things. She is a bit slow getting up, sometimes her hinds are a bit shakey. Her real problem is that for the past four months she can't seem to control here bowels.

Sometimes she is constipated and her stools just seem to pop out while she sleeps, and other times the stools are soft and well formed but she is not aware that she has to go out until she poops as she is walking. Also, when she does poop outside, she can't seem to squat and poop, she has to walk it out.

I've added psyllium (aka Metamusil) to her diet twice a day for the past ten days. It seems to help but she is still not regular.

Is there anything more I can do for her? Please help.

RE: Uncontrolled Bowel Movements

This is a typical old dog problem. Like older humans they have bowel problems as they get older. I've had some go on their blankets and they don't even know they did it. Not sure anything can be done about it.

Comment

My first Dane started that about age 10 also. He didn't realize he was doing it either, and the few times he would realize, he was very embarassed. Other than that and mild arthritis, he was quite healthy and happy, so I just coped.

mp

Comment

I pet sit for two old Pugs and they do the same thing. I have a 13yr old Schnauzer and she pees in her bed each night. I just change the puppy pads and blankets daily.

Comment

This is the regime I follow to avoid this, it's been working in my case for some time:

1/ increase fiber - I use nature's recipe senior L/R, you might compare what you are feeding. (I also did this as she seemed to not be able to tolerate the 'normal' dog food everyone else was on)

2/feed on schedule and relieve on schedule, she's fed twice a day morning and evening.
          She goes #2 usually 3 times a day:
          first thing in morning
          in the afternoon
          last thing at night

part of the reason for the accidents I think is a loss of nerve
          sensation, so I employ a handlers trick of inserting paper matches (1 or 2) about half way up the match.
          to get back in the house...the match has to be gone.

only accidents she has is when I fail to pay attention to the timing schedule, and she doesn't always need the match, but it helps give them the sensation they have to go.

sandy
          http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy. Thanks for advise!

Are these paper or wooden stick matches?

AlanS

Comment

paper, like the ones that come in the little books

Comment

Sandy, I'm feeling really ignorant. Do you insert them headfirst? Does the sulfur in the head act as an active ingredient to irritate and stimulate the desire to push it out?

Comment

yes head first. I've heard that the sulfur acts in that way, but I am not sure if it does or just the match physically being there triggers it.

Comment

Working...
                  X