Growth Spurt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth Spurt

Are there any signs of puppies having a growth spurt in a great danes? Lizzie is sleeping a lot and I was just curious if it could be her getting taller?

When Festus is about to hit a big growth spurt, he sleeps quite a bit more than normal (for him) and he also gets the hiccups as well. When he gets the hiccups he looks all sad and we tell him it's ok you are just growing..... He is too cute for words.
    sigpic

Comment

Yep, I was gonna say hiccups too.
      *~Molly and Oakley~*

sigpic

Comment

Gotta love those hiccups! I can't help but giggle when Jax gets them.

"...none of us know what private hell or hardships the next person may have endured or faces even now. We should never aim even the tiniest arrow at a heart that may be more fragile than we know..." Janice

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhh Gawd!!!!!!!!! THE HICCUPS!!!!!!!! Bambi gets them semi regularly.....The first time witnessed them I nearly had a heart attack and was ready to rush her to the E-vet......LOL!!!!!
          Teresa n
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't heard the hiccups out of Lizzie in a long time. She is about a year and 4 months old. She had the hiccups all the time for the first 6 months of her time with us. I was wondering if we were maybe hitting the before 2 growth spurt I have heard that danes go through.

Comment

Really, hiccups? Samson gets them every couple days.....hmmmm. I wonder why the hiccups?

Comment

TMI, I know but.....

My vet told me with dogs that have big growth spurts, the vagal nerve in their sternum area gets stretched too tight. Hiccups are caused by a convulsion of that nerve as it stretches and gets snapped back.

On a somewhat related topic, anyone have an adult dog that reverse-sneezes? One of mine does it, and he'll do it for a good 5 minutes straight, head hung low and elbows pointed out. I found out it's from an irritation in the soft palate that can be stopped by massaging the throat or closing the nostrils so the dog has to breathe through it's mouth.

Who knew?
                Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                sigpic
                Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Working...
                X