Sores on Paws (picture)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sores on Paws (picture)

For the past 3 days Ted has had horrible sores on his front paws. His whole paw is red (which is not abnormal for him) but now it looks like scabbed over blisters or something. He was doing this thing where he'd run and then slide paws first across the floor, so we are kind of wondering if it's rug burn? We are making sure he's not licking at them and they are looking better, but I still wonder if anyone else has seen this? Sorry for the poor quality cell phone picture.

sigpic
    Theodore Winston - AKA: Ted

Is it only on his Paws??? If so I'd say it's either rug burn or some kind of contact allergy to carpet powder/cleaner maybe???
    Teresa n
    sigpic

Comment

Its hard to tell from the picture, but from what you say he is doing, Im betting it is rug burns.........that or walking on very hot black top.
      Dont let him do that anymore and see if it clears up.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

You say now that you guys are making sure he is not licking them they are getting better. Is he ever stressed? My saint was boarded for a week and he licked his paws because of stress and they looked similar to what your pup has. The vet had to give bernie a chill pill to make him stop. But as soon as he left he didn't do it anymore.

Does your pup have a hard time when you leave?

I would check into the carpet and cleaner suggestion too.
        sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Sorry to see sores on his paws. I hope they clear up soon. Lola hasn't had issues in that area of her paws, but tends to wear off her paw pads depending on the texture of ground she is zooming on. Right now they are a nice green color from doing Nascar circles and crazy-8s in the backyard (so much there is a clear "track" now).

Off topic, but he's so handsome in your sig pic!
          My family:
          4 Dogs: Lola (Dane), Delilah (Dane), Howie (Beagle), and Scout (Beagle)
          2 Ferrets: Saleen and Harley
          2 Chinchillas: Keeta and Max
          3 Cats: Otis, Oscar, and Murray
          1 Husband

Comment

has he been tested for allergies? dogs can get red paws due to allergies. has he been around anything unusual for him lately? like a new rug, new carpet, new dog shampoo, etc?

Comment

Update: The sores got a little better, and he wasn't chewing them hardly at all, but my husband walked him today and he could tell they were obviously bothering him. He hasn't been exposed to anything new (carpet, cleaner, floor, fertilizer..nothing). We are taking him to the vet on Friday for his yearly shots, so hopefully they can help. Poor dude, he acts so pathetic when he's not feeling well.
              sigpic

Comment

Stephanie I have a similar situation happening with my dane Sadie like you said no enviromental changes have been made but she's licked spots raw around her paws since I've been working fulltime this summer... I think it's out of boredom in her crate because when she's exhausted before I crate her up they get better presumably because she is asleep most of that time so that's what I've been doing lately and it has been helping her sores get better.

I can't wait till school starts again when I'll be able to excercise her even more and she won't be crated but 2-3 hours a day instead of eight straight!
                Ashley and Sadie (12 months)

Comment

Those aren't rug burns, he's licking his paws. You didn't mention food? Any new treats or food recently? My boy has horrific food allergies and took me over a year to get it all figured out. That pic is no where near horrible, either. My boy would be blessed if his paws looked that good

Anyway, seems like food or contact allergic reaction. Just posting so you know someone else has paws exactly like that, but usually worse. But, the types of sores, redness in your picture are exactly what is caused by licking...

And, I've tried every product known to man to get them to stop licking areas that are open sores already, etc. Nothing works out there except tea tree oil. One tiny drop on the area once a day and he'll go no where near his foot until you stop putting the tea tree oil on.

good luck.
                  sigpic
                  Chloe

RIP Chaos! July 25, 2009 - Sep 4, 2015. Your sister and I miss you deeply, but will see you again some day!

Comment

Originally posted by will View Post
                    Those aren't rug burns, he's licking his paws. You didn't mention food? Any new treats or food recently? My boy has horrific food allergies and took me over a year to get it all figured out. That pic is no where near horrible, either. My boy would be blessed if his paws looked that good

Anyway, seems like food or contact allergic reaction. Just posting so you know someone else has paws exactly like that, but usually worse. But, the types of sores, redness in your picture are exactly what is caused by licking...

And, I've tried every product known to man to get them to stop licking areas that are open sores already, etc. Nothing works out there except tea tree oil. One tiny drop on the area once a day and he'll go no where near his foot until you stop putting the tea tree oil on.

good luck.
                    Thanks, I think it might be from licking too, after keeping an eye on him. They are much, much better now, but still definitely red. No new treats either. My guess it's just being outside in the grass more. The bugs are seeming to really bother him when he's out there. Will keep tree tea oil in mind...
                    sigpic

Comment

hi, my dogs front paws have gone like this... when they get really bad they get ulcerated and the pads on the paws go all jelly like from him licking and biting... its been happening since March this year and it flares up every 4 weeks or so, i bring him to the vets they give him a shot of antibiotics/steroids and it makes it go away for a while... they suspect a seasonal allergy and have suggested that i leave it until October until all the allergens are gone from the air before doing a biopsy as his system has to be clear of meds for 6 weeks before they can test and if i were to leave his paws at the moment they would just get really really bad and it wouldn't be fair on my dog. Vets haven't asked about diet and didn't mention food allergy, i feed him BARF and he's been on that diet since last July 09 and this has only arisen since March 10. He was in top condition, but as the months go by his coat is deteriating, it looks flea bitten, he is scratching but not enought to get worked up about and also his muzzle flares up from time to time, it gets all red and lumpy and it drives him mad and he rubs his face off the grass when its affecting him!

i had a picture of one of his paws but cannot find it at the moment but it starts out like the pic above, goes red/pinkish, then he starts licking and nipping, then the sores appear and its only on both front paws!!! weird!

Comment

Just thought i'd mention on here that my dogs feet had a small flare up again over the last week or so. I had some Thornits Canker Powder at home. It was bought for my mum, who was recommended the product by a dog groomer for ears. On looking at the instructions that came with it i noticed the section on Paws!!! thought that sounded very like what my dog was going through so i rubbed a little bit of this powered onto the affected area and within a day or two the affected area dried up and healed over!!!!!! I'm delighted to say the least to know that something like this will help other than filling him up with medication each time, but it still doesn't answer the question as to whats causing the allergy...

http://www.dogsstuff.co.uk/en/Kleen-...-Canker-Powder

Comment

Working...
                        X