Blood drops from penis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood drops from penis

Hi, I have a 4yr old Great Dane, River he is an intacted male. I purchased him as a show dog and did show him back in Colorado. Since moving to FL I have not been active in the shows and he has never been used for stud. Due to his size, 170lbs and breed I am paranoid to have him sedated. However, recently he has been having blood dripping from his penis, 3 episodes within the past 12mos. And it just started again today, I have taken him to the vet each time before, same "results" they check the urine sample and tell me there is no blood in it but that he has a high white blood cell count and once they told me there was semen present. This last time I took him to get an ultrasound done as they are not able to reach his prostate the "usual" way for an exam. The result was that it was slightly enlarged but not abnormal. He was on antibiotics for 6 weeks and another urinalysis was done after the meds and all looked good except still a little high on the white blood cell count. I will be taking another sample in tomorrow of course but, was wondering if anyone had experienced this, has any other ideas or suggestions other than neutering? I am so afraid to loose him in surgery but just as afraid to loose him by not having surgery. I think you all know what I mean; Rock, me & River and Hard place. I have him on Vitamin C, Saw Palmetto (for prostate health), Milk Thistle (due to antibiotics), Innova Large breed dog food and sardines.

Thank you in advance for any help.

RE: Blood drops from penis

We had a male do this at this age and was prostate and he had to have the surgery.We was scared he was too heavy at 228 lbs but had to be done and he did fine.That was several years ago and hes still great.

http://www.xceldanes.com/XCelLogoSignature.jpg
    Lisa
    www.xceldanes.com
    sigpicLisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Have you been to one of Central Florida's reproductive vets? There are several within an hour's drive of you.

As for not finding blood in the tests, the next time it happens, see if you can get the blood on a Kleenex to take to the vet to show that it really is happening.

Prostate infections can get serious really fast with a giant breed, while the risks of surgery with a Dane-savvy vet are minimal. Is there a history in the pedigree of being poor surgical risks?

Please email me if you'd like names.

mp

Comment

Kara,

Please call me or Fran and let's discuss this.

Comment

Blood Drops from Penis

I have a 6 year old male that I rescued 1 year and 3 months ago.
          He just completed Heart worm treatments about 6 months ago and now I am seeing the little blood drops on my floor. I have two other dogs and could not figure out where the blood drops were coming from. Then I noticed one day that Sampson was dripping from his penis and it was red.
          He got an antibiotic and it went away very quickly.
          He still drips from time to time but it is clear. He is still in tact. If I take him in and get him fixed will this stop this issue and prevent it from happening again?
          Thanks,
          Scot

Comment

Originally posted by ssimons1 View Post
            I have a 6 year old male that I rescued 1 year and 3 months ago.
            He just completed Heart worm treatments about 6 months ago and now I am seeing the little blood drops on my floor. I have two other dogs and could not figure out where the blood drops were coming from. Then I noticed one day that Sampson was dripping from his penis and it was red.
            He got an antibiotic and it went away very quickly.
            He still drips from time to time but it is clear. He is still in tact. If I take him in and get him fixed will this stop this issue and prevent it from happening again?
            Thanks,
            Scot
            Hi yes it will stop it.I had to fix my champion male because of constant blood from his penis.It has not happened again after nutering.

Comment

sounds like prostatitis and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Neutering will be the only thing to help correct this problem.
              sigpic
              Crystal
              Owned by:
              Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
              CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
              Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
              Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

I would speak to Leigh McBride in Wildwood, FL. She comes highly recommended by many of the show folks in Central Florida. She is about an 1-1.5 hrs north of you, straight up 75.
                sigpic
                Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                  I would speak to Leigh McBride in Wildwood, FL. She comes highly recommended by many of the show folks in Central Florida. She is about an 1-1.5 hrs north of you, straight up 75.
                  Hi logan this is not from the original post.Another member added to it today.

Comment

Just a shot in the dark, especially if it turns out NOT to be prostate.
                    I had a friend who's male Lab dripped blood, actually peed blood, it turned out to be a kidney infection from dehydration.
                    Good luck.
                    sigpic

Comment

that's a good point Lizzie. It can be a multitude of things at this point. Ultrasound would help to rule out or rule in differentials at this point. I would consult with your vet on the next best thing to do so you can get a true diagnosis.
                      sigpic
                      Crystal
                      Owned by:
                      Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                      CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                      Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                      Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

If it were me, and I wasn't happy with what I was being told, I would look for a second opinion. There are a few good vets locally, the Univ of Fl has a vet school in Gainesville, and there is a great specialty clinic in Largo. Many people have worked through prostate infections, if that is what it is, but I agree it's important to be sure you know what you are dealing with.

I always worry when my bigger dogs are put under anesthesia, but the current protocols are very safe. It's also important, when you're dealing with a heavier male, to be sure you understand how they are getting him on and off of the surgery table!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, I'm in Lakeland so I'm not that far from you.
                        sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

Woohoo!! Handsome new boy Sara!!!
                          Big Congrats on your major this past weekend! Love it!

Now.....back to topic LOL!!
                          Carolyn
                          Divine Acres Great Danes
                          Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
                            If it were me, and I wasn't happy with what I was being told, I would look for a second opinion. There are a few good vets locally, the Univ of Fl has a vet school in Gainesville, and there is a great specialty clinic in Largo. Many people have worked through prostate infections, if that is what it is, but I agree it's important to be sure you know what you are dealing with.

I always worry when my bigger dogs are put under anesthesia, but the current protocols are very safe. It's also important, when you're dealing with a heavier male, to be sure you understand how they are getting him on and off of the surgery table!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, I'm in Lakeland so I'm not that far from you.
                            Hi this post is not from the original thread!!

Comment

re

Thanks for all the help. Sammy is going in to get checked out to see what could have been the problem.
                              Scot

Comment

Working...
                              X