Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apoquel - new drug

Hello everyone.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the new anti itch allergy non steroid drug called Apoquel? It's being release this month and is supposed to be a safe, non steroidal daily drug to shut off the "itch" in horribly allergic dogs, like mine and can supposedly be safely taken long term with no side effects.

Link: https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Prod....ttxd6N0y.dpbs
    sigpic
    Chloe

RIP Chaos! July 25, 2009 - Sep 4, 2015. Your sister and I miss you deeply, but will see you again some day!

I don't know much yet, but my vet mentioned it to me a couple weeks ago. He says there is great promise for it and it will be a decent replacement for drugs like Atopica. Supposedly, it's going to be very wallet friendly too.

I'm excited to see a new drug come out that might be more beneficial for our danes. I do know that my vet has a couple of non-danes that he plans on using it on immediately upon release. We currently have all itching under control with immunotherapy, but it's in our sights.

If you end up using it, please let me know how it works out.
    Last edited by Angel7292; 01-03-2014, 05:47 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

My vet is wanting me to put Festus on this. I've looked into it and it is supposed to be much better than the cyclosporine/atopica treatment as it doesn't completely suppress their immune system. As with all medications it does have some side effects but not as bad as the atopica and it isn't supposed to be as hard on their liver or kidneys.

Hopefully my vet can bring it in this month as I'll be needing a refill of something end of January. I'll have to look at pricing and see if it is more cost effective than the cyclosporine that I am using now as for me cost is a factor as currently I'm spending roughly $125/month on the cyclosporine. I'll keep you posted though as I know more.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by will View Post
        Hello everyone.
        Does anyone have any knowledge of the new anti itch allergy non steroid drug called Apoquel? It's being release this month and is supposed to be a safe, non steroidal daily drug to shut off the "itch" in horribly allergic dogs, like mine and can supposedly be safely taken long term with no side effects.

Link: https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Prod....ttxd6N0y.dpbs
        We're all waiting with baited breath for this one. Boarded Dermatologists have had it for a few months now. It's amazing. Effective, very safe. Brand new class of drug. We're getting 'oriented' on it later this week.
        This could be a home-run for Zoetis...
        Warren Briggs, DVM
        www.ocvh.com
        www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Originally posted by briggsdvm View Post
          We're all waiting with baited breath for this one. Boarded Dermatologists have had it for a few months now. It's amazing. Effective, very safe. Brand new class of drug. We're getting 'oriented' on it later this week.
          Counting the days here too...
          "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Originally posted by briggsdvm View Post

I'm hoping my vet gets this in soon. Being that I am several hours away from a board dermatologist in the US I've been so impatiently waiting for it to be avaliable to him. Hopefully fingers crossed that this will work for Festus and that it is more cost effective than the cyclosporine has been. From what I've seen the boarded derms have been scripting it out for $1.60/pill so it should be interesting to see what the price becomes when it is avaliable to the masses. I plan on calling my vet next week to see if he's heard anything further on the avaliability of it for his clinic at least.
            sigpic

Comment

I should add, I looked on Zoetis' site today and found this:

https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/News...ItchyDogs.aspx
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                I'm hoping my vet gets this in soon... I plan on calling my vet next week to see if he's heard anything further on the avaliability of it for his clinic at least.
                Today our Zoetis rep brought the proverbial "lunch-and-learn" pizza party for the staff along with the drug so we now have it! http://www.dolforum.com/forum/images/smilies/.gif
                FWIW, I asked the rep if she bought stock in her own company and she said "yes". In my 22 year career there have been a few significant jumps in companion animal health (3 come to mind so far) and this could be #4 if it works as advertised and the early data suggests it does.
                Best of luck with your pet-
                Warren Briggs, DVM
                www.ocvh.com
                www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Thanks!!

This is something that I'm quite excited about. While the cyclo that he is on helps tremendously, it just doesn't quite fully get the job done. Talking with my vet he said if it works half as well it should be better for him than the cyclo.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks!!

This is something that I'm quite excited about. While the cyclo that he is on helps tremendously, it just doesn't quite fully get the job done. Talking with my vet he said if it works half as well it should be better for him than the cyclo.
                    I predict it will. And with no side effects. And no need for chronic drug monitoring (expensive blood tests every 6 months). Make sure to give us feedback!
                    Warren Briggs, DVM
                    www.ocvh.com
                    www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Oh the perks of being a vet tech. The drug reps did our Apoquel introduction over dinner last night. While I couldn't make the meeting the reps stopped by our clinic prior to, and we got to talking about my chihuahua who is chronically itchy and didn't handle cyclosporine well. He is even itchy while on steroids. Thyroid etc are all normal, eats good food. Short of going raw I feel like I've tried everything.

Thy gave me a sample bottle (20 pills) to try and see how it works. The dosing is twice daily for 2 weeks and then just once daily. One of the reps said that within a couple days I should notice a difference. Nacho has now had 3 doses and I am very happy to say, already noticing a difference. I know he's not a Dane, but I had to share.

sigpic
                      Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

Comment

Well just got off the phone with my vet. Hopefully they can do something about their pricing.... What I got back from them was $3.50/tablet and he would need 2 per day. Right now I'm paying $504 for 4 months of cyclosporine and Apoquel would be $840 for the same amount of time. Looks like we will be sticking with the cyclosporine if they can't do anything about the price for me. And this was supposed to be cheaper for me than the cyclosporine, guess it is too good to be true.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well just got off the phone with my vet. Hopefully they can do something about their pricing.... What I got back from them was $3.50/tablet and he would need 2 per day. Right now I'm paying $504 for 4 months of cyclosporine and Apoquel would be $840 for the same amount of time. Looks like we will be sticking with the cyclosporine if they can't do anything about the price for me. And this was supposed to be cheaper for me than the cyclosporine, guess it is too good to be true.
                          Is that price because your in Canada?
                          If so, that stinks.
                          Sure hope it's not that high here.
                          "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Nope, it isn't avaliable in Canada. I actually take Festus to a veterinarian in the USA. I live in a border town so it is just as close to take him accross the line as it is to take him somewhere local.
                            sigpic

Comment

My vet is ordering some for my Wolfie boy. I have NEVER been able to pinpoint his allergy, cyclosporin is WAY too expensive here, it would be OVER 1200 month for a dog his weight… Kate, how are you getting it so cheap?
                              Kiffor has been on pred for almost a year, and though it's a small dose, I HATE IT!
                              If and when we get it, I'll let you know how we do!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X