when do danes stop growing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do danes stop growing

can any one tell me when do danes quit growing and what causes them to bit themselfs

RE: when do danes stop growing

As a general rule of thumb Danes grow UP till about two years, then OUT till about 3.

Bite themselves how? Mine don't bite themselves...

Comment

I've heard some people say that their danes stopped gaining height by 7-8 months. So my question (which is a little different that the first question posted), is WHEN did your dane stop growing UP (height)?

Comment

Ours both stopped growing in height at about 18 months. They slow down at about 12 and stopped at about 18. Stan was almost 4 when he died, and I believe that he had stopped filling out at about 3. Siggy however, just turned 3 and he is absolutely still filling out.
        Cari

Comment

i have a black female and she bits her legs back and scratches her ears untill they bleed kim boyd

Comment

My 3 1/2 year old girl added almost an inch in height in the last year, she's just shy of 35" now. She's looked filled out since about 2 1/2.

Comment

Cheval is my oldest and he is 18 months and just went butt-high again, which tells me he's growing some more.

To the OP: It sounds to me like your Dane is haivng an allergic reaction to something. I would check first for things in her environment that may be bothering her, for example, household chemicals or her bedding, check for mites/crud buildup in the ears. Failing to find anything there, what are you feeding her, specifically? It may very well be (and probably is) that she is allergic or sensitive to something in her food. If you can get her onto a different food it will *probably* clear the up. Until then, I would see if your vet can get you something for itch relief, or get a cone before she hematoma's those ears. Corn is probably the single most common food allergy/sensitivty in dog food. Switch her off of any food with corn in it as quickly as you can without totally blowing her digestive system. Like, within 4 or 5 days.

Comment

>Cheval is my oldest and he is 18 months and just went
                >butt-high again, which tells me he's growing some more.

When you say butt-high, do you mean that his rear end looks higher than his front end? My dane kinda looks like that now. He's almost 9 months old, and has been at 32" for a good month to 6 weeks or so. I'm wondering if he's getting ready to grow some more. And I also wonder what causes them to go "butt-high" before a growth spurt. Interesting!

Comment

Danes often grow unevenly - rear, then front, then rear, then front, etc. Most end up even.

Comment

Lots of four-legged animals grow from the rear forward. Danes are the most noticeable dogs I've ever seen do it, and I watch the exact same thing happen with my foals. Butt goes up two inches, then a month later the withers catch up. So I know when Cheval starts looking like a ski slope he's mid-growth and I gotta figure out how to get everything in the house up a little higher

Comment

Take her to the vet, that's not normal.

Bev
                      Bev
                      Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                      sigpic

Comment

Wow, I was just wondering about their growth rate, myself. This was very helpful. I have a 16 mos old male, 113 lbs (which I think is small for a male) In the last 2 months he's filled out to where he looks nice and lean and then his back legs bulked up with all this muscle tone.

I am glad to know he wont look scrawny forever ^_^

Comment

Wow, I was just wondering about their growth rate, myself. This was very helpful. I have a 16 mos old male, 113 lbs (which I think is small for a male) In the last 2 months he's filled out to where he looks nice and lean and then his back legs bulked up with all this muscle tone.

I am glad to know he wont look scrawny forever ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X