Pictures of Zeus' Oral Melanoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of Zeus' Oral Melanoma

I took some pictures of Zeus' oral melanoma. It camouflaged well with his dark gums. What you can see from the outside is just a 3rd of the entire mass, which continues on into the roof of his mouth. Please, check your senior Danes' mouths! It is an area where tumors are so hard to spot until it's too late. The only clue we had was a little bit of blood on his bed sometimes. We thought that was from him gnawing on his big knuckle bone and hurting his mouth. And now that I think about it, his breath has been a little foul lately.

Here are the pictures for you to reference. I'm posting them so that maybe another Dane can be saved before it's too late.

Here are pics of the mass on the roof of his mouth. It was hard to get clear ones here, but the mass is quite large.

sigpic
    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Wow, that sure looks large! It looks like it is definitely intruding on the space where his tongue is. Poor baby. Give Zeus a scratchie and kissie!
    June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
    RIP Dakota Blue Moon
    Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
    sigpic

Comment

wow it is big. i see how you are shocked it didn't interfere with his appetite. thanks for sharing.
      sigpic
      xena and her dane friend duchess
      Heather
      and Xena the Warrior Dane
      find us on FB
      http://www.facebook.com/XenaWarriorDane
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xena-t...51824241520044

Comment

Oh my goodness, that is very large! Poor Zeus, and poor you!
        sigpic
        Cara, Wife to Tony, Mom to...
        2 great kids, Anthony Jr. (12) and Olivia (5)
        Molly, my first Dane (2)
        Aspen, my deafie rescue girl (4)
        Crosby, my wobbly rescue boy *RIP* at 20 months.

Comment

It is so important to check your dog everywhere! Tumors are easier to spot on the outside, and I spent years worrying over the slightest little lump or bump that showed up on him. Look what was forming in his mouth while I was oblivious! I mean, really...how often do we do a full mouth exam on our dogs? Apparently not often enough in my case.
          sigpic
          RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
          Levi...born June 29th, 2011
          Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
          Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
          https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

I hate that Goliath has the merle coloring in his mouth also. so nice pink gums and two big black spots. They are flat and I am certain just spots. But this will make it much harder to tell what is a spot and what is a "spot".
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you for sharing this info, in the midst of feeling so much sadness over what is happening. That is the great thing about this forum; members share such important information as they learn thru experience. Now I am going to add mouth-check to my other full body checks I do daily on my 2 'middle aged' danes, 6 and almost-8. Keep on spoiling that sweet boy!
              sigpic
              Barbara
              Mom to Skye, fawn (8) & Shane, black (7)
              RIP Trisket, chi/pom mix, 1997-2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mommy to Zeus View Post
                It is so important to check your dog everywhere! Tumors are easier to spot on the outside, and I spent years worrying over the slightest little lump or bump that showed up on him. Look what was forming in his mouth while I was oblivious! I mean, really...how often do we do a full mouth exam on our dogs? Apparently not often enough in my case.

Please don't down on yourself or feel responsible for this. Zeus sounds like he's been so very loved. happens and it's not your fault in the least. That said... poor Zeus and poor you. I cannot even imagine how your heart is breaking. Give him lots of love and ear scratches from all of us DOLers.
                Wife to Brian
                Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
                <3

sigpic

Comment

Melanomas are NASTY cancers - please don't think that any of this is your fault or that there is something better that you could have done.
                  sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

You are an angel for sharing this with us at such a rough time for you. How were you to know, though, you can not blame yourself!! Ayla has dark pigment in her mouth, and I will know to check for such a thing as she ages. Thank you.
                    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Kendra,

You are so sweet to post this warning for us all. You are right - I look at Briar and do a hands on and all over all the time, but I don't check her mouth all that often. I will now. Hugs to you and the family, and of course to the big boy.

Andi

Comment

Thank you for posting the pics, Kendra and reminding us all to be a little more thorough when checking over our furbabes.

Martha
                        sigpic

Comment

There not must you can do even if you was doing a mouth check. Zeus had a good life with you .

Comment

My mom's golden was recently diagnosed with oral melanoma.
                            they removed it, got clean margins, and now are just hoping for the best...
                            hugs to you and your big man, thanks for sharing the pics..
                            DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP.. it goes nowhere.
                            xoxoxo
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us. It is really helpful to have references for what to look for. I know this is a difficult time for you and it was kind of you to share.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X