Vomiting and Diarrhea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vomiting and Diarrhea

We searched around a little bit and didn't find much, so I was curious if anyone had any ideas.

Paisley has thrown up 1/2 to 3/4 of her breakfast the last two mornings (yesterday and today). She does fine keeping dinner down, it's just breakfast, and it's about 10 minutes after she eats (you can still clearly tell it's food). I thought it was an isolated incident, but then this morning she had diarrhea during normal outside bathroom time. It was 1/2 solid poo and 1/2 liquid. She is not lethargic, still plays hard, doesn't seem to be warm (temp) and is sleeping and acting normally. Here are factors I know one would consider:

-her food hasn't changed (not even a new bag)
    -no vaccinations recently
    -she's up to date on shots and wormings
    -she's not eating any faster than normal
    -no ingested items that she should avoid (that we know of...we watch her pretty closely)
    -she did go to the pet store the other day, but she had already thrown up her breakfast before she did

I know it's probably just us being overly concerned, but does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or anything we should watch out for? Thanks!
    sigpic
    Paisley

Could be getting bug or could be eating too fast on empty tummy in mornings.Does she drink alot erly on and maybe getting too full?How old is she?
    sigpicLisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Sorry your little one isn't feeling too well.

I'd try boiled chicken, rice, and some pure pumpkin for a few days to see if that helps. You may want to fast her for one meal to let her tummy rest.

If it doesn't help, I agree with Lisa, she may be overly hungy in the morning, so try giving her a treat or two right before bed.

Also, have you had her checked for Giardia? It's hard to catch, may take a few samples to catch if she has it.

Good luck!

Laura
      ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

As far as the mornings go, she doesn't normally drink a ton before breakfast, and I suppose it could be the empty tummy, but she hasn't had a problem previous, and we normally feed her every 12 hours. She's 17 weeks old today. I wondered if it might be some sort of parasite or sickness, but she seems to be herself, not feeling sick or acting tired at all. She ran and romped on her walk this afternoon. It seems like her diarrhea was controlled this morning (it's not something she can't hold in) and she's not throwing up digested food, just undigested food. We're taking her to the vet Tuesday anyway, so we'll talk this over with her, but I'm hoping it's just a puppy bug that will pass in a day or so. We're going to feed her tonight and see how she does, and if she keeps it down and doesn't have more diarrhea then hopefully it was just a fluke.

As for Giardia, she hasn't had a stool sample taken in for a while, but from reading the symptoms, I don't think she has it...it seems like things would be much more severe if she did.
        sigpic
        Paisley

Comment

Do you think she ate any acorns? I know they are falling like crazy down here, and last year they made our puppy throw up. He was about Paisley's age when it happened. It gave him an upset tummy for about 4-5 days.
          sigpic

Comment

I suppose it's possible, but I try to keep a very close eye on her when we are out. An Update...I just took her out again and she had 2 bouts of squirting diarrhea, so we're going to not feed her this evening and then start with chicken or ground beef and rice.
            sigpic
            Paisley

Comment

Ronin was about impossible with acorns . . . he has tried it a few times this year. They are ridiculous again this year.
              sigpic

Comment

Does she have a temp?At her age be careful a virus can take a baby down FAST you my need to go to E Vet if yours isnt on call.
                sigpicLisa
                www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with this...I know a puppy's temp should be taken rectally, but what's normal and what's dangerous? Can you just use a human thermometer? Wouldn't I be able to tell by feeling her if she is warm?
                  sigpic
                  Paisley

Comment

You really need to measure her temp to know if she has a fever. You can use a regular thermometer like you would use for a person. Normal temp for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5.

Comment

An update on Paisley: we withheld her dinner on Sunday night and fed her chicken and rice on Monday morning (she loved that!). She kept it down and had a fully formed poo shortly thereafter. We fed her 2/3 of her normal kibble Monday night, and full kibble meals all day today, and she has done fine. It seems it was just an upset stomach. Thanks everyone who gave us advice!
                      sigpic
                      Paisley

Comment

Originally posted by danedaddy View Post
                        As far as the mornings go, she doesn't normally drink a ton before breakfast, and I suppose it could be the empty tummy, but she hasn't had a problem previous, and we normally feed her every 12 hours. She's 17 weeks old today.
                        I know Sadie did the vomiting and watery stools thing when I moved her to two meals a day, they went away as soon as I moved her back to feeding 3x a day.
                        sigpic
                        Daddy to Sadie Onyx, 4mo Great Dane

Comment

Working...
                        X