Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference between american danes and european danes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between american danes and european danes?

i met a girl downtown who had a great dane and she told me that there are two different kinds of danes...american, and european. she said that the european danes are stockier and "beefier" and that the american danes were more slight.

are there any other differences?

Do a thread search for Euro danes. Badly bred Euro danes are heavier set and more mastiffy in appearance, but the breed standard for danes in Europe is almost the same as in America. Backyard breeders are using the term "euro" to charge more for their pups and as a selling point. Beware of breeders using this term.
    sigpic
    -Sara-
    -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

There is alot of information in the archives about this topic. It comes up on occasion.
      In a nutshell, the standards on both side of the pond are almost identical so theoretically the danes should look similar. From the research I have done recently, alot of the show breeders in europe DO have danes that resemble the american show danes. Some have a little more bone or a little more lip, but they do NOT look more like Neos than danes.
      The "stockier" danes you see advertised as "european" danes are usually the product of a backyard breeder using that term to sell their pups.
      *usually*
      sigpic

Comment

I highly suggest you use the search function at the top of the forums for questions like this. There is tons of posts just on this exact question that have been made from people with views on this. If you simply search "Euro Dane" you will get a lot of results. This is often a "heated" discussion and if you read more you will see why.
        sigpic

Comment

FYI: you just opened a can of worms.

LOL.
          sigpic
          What Tucker's up to now: http://greatdanetucker.blogspot.com/

Comment

ummm. ummm....forget i said anything!

Comment

Aaaw - nothing wrong with asking

The term "euro" danes is overused by poor breeders as a selling point, but that doesn't mean that dogs with danes from the other side of the pond in their pedigree are lesser dogs.

Study the GDCA breed standard, and compare it to the FIC standard, and I think you'll see that they are virtually identical. Danes are not meant to be greyhound-y OR mastiff-y. Once you start recognizing a to-standard dane, you'll see that a well-bred dane is a well-bred dane regardless of the country of origin.
              Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
              - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by TuckersMomma View Post
                FYI: you just opened a can of worms.

LOL.
                LOL! So true.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Sad to say I asked this question when I first joined this forum and let's just say the response was really crazy. If you wish to check out that thread click my name and go to my thread post it will be the oldest thread that I posted. Let's just say I am over it. If u are looking for a european dane make sure that it is from a good breeder. Goodluck!
                  sigpic Little boy!

Comment

i am new and realise that this topic has probably already been done to death...but since this is something taht interests me just wanted to make one small observation...

the differences within the Euro Danes....i.e between on one hand German / German Bred and on the other hand the English and other continentals such as French and Italian...

has that been discussed...is anyone interested in taking this discussion up and where can we get this discussion going...

also interestingly, all the breed standards are conveniently loosely written...whether english, american, or german...dont understand french so cant comment on those...

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbles View Post
                      all the breed standards are conveniently loosely written...whether english, american, or german...dont understand french so cant comment on those...
                      See and from what I have read - FIC and AKC, the standards don't strike me as loosely written at all.
                      Just off the top of my head, both standards call for a square body, parallel head plains, chest must hit the elbows, withers are the highest point, rectangular muzzle, both have minimum height requirements and color requirements. I dunno... seems pretty specific to me...

Now... Can a judge or breeder interpret the standards loosely? I imagine so.
                      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                      - Anatole France

Comment

awww doesn't have to be a can of worms at all. We can discuss this in a civil manner. Right? It can be a jar of butterflies!!! LOL!

Comment

i didnt mean to upset anyone...the intention was more to discuss the sub sets within the european danes..which i find quite an interesting topic in itself

as far as the standard goes..yes has to be specific (naturally has to be otherwise there would be an issue with the breed itself)...but there is enough room in it for there to be differences depending on where the dog has been bred..

i do agree that this topic has to be a jar of butterflies..

Comment

Both have same standard but certain traits are much more pronounced or shrived for.
                            There does seem to be a difference in how refined the overall dog looks, many American judges are geared toward a more elegant yet powerful dog American judges seem to like a female who is noticeably feminine more so than European judges. American judges like height and many dogs are taller than 36 and 37 inches necks are longer and more refined. Faults I see most often are dogs with jowless muzzles and lack of substance in some females.
                            The central European nations, seem to be geared more toward a massive dog and bitch many are stouter still square but bone structure is much more shrived for and lips seem to be looser, necks not as long and to me look crested. Common faults that go along with looser lip is loose eyes seen in a lot of European dogs also cow hocks seem to pass more in the ring.
                            This is not set in stone as plenty of dogs of massive structure have been selected by American judges. judges are suppose to judge a dog on how overall balanced it is some judges will have personal opinions on what they think fits the standard, but the ideal dog is literally dawn out.
                            French and British Great danes seem to fall much closer to American traits.
                            None of the European Champions are as overdone and rectangular as some of the overdone BYB Euros. Some BYBers are pushing a dog who is so stocky and heavily boned they weight 200 pounds are short and have wrinkles like an English mastiff.
                            The biggest reason people think their is a huge difference between the two is the many poorly breed Grey hound looking danes when compared to the massive imported ones, If you compare multiple champions from America to Champions from over seas you'll only see slight differences, I see more with females. To me Champions all look very different and I see many extremes among the colors.
                            That said these are the differences I have seen after viewing multiple show videos and going to shows so this is my opinion
                            Last edited by angeldane; 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
                              Both have same standard but certain traits are much more pronounced or shrived for.
                              There does seem to be a difference in how refined the overall dog looks, many American judges are geared toward a more elegant yet powerful dog American judges seem to like a female who is noticeably feminine more so than European judges. American judges like height and many dogs are taller than 36 and 37 inches necks are longer and more refined. Faults I see most often are dogs with jowless muzzles and lack of substance in some females.
                              The central European nations, seem to be geared more toward a massive dog and bitch many are stouter still square but bone structure is much more shrived for and lips seem to be looser, necks not as long and to me look crested. Common faults that go along with looser lip is loose eyes seen in a lot of European dogs also cow hocks seem to pass more in the ring.
                              This is not set in stone as plenty of dogs of massive structure have been selected by American judges. judges are suppose to judge a dog on how overall balanced it is some judges will have personal opinions on what they think fits the standard, but the ideal dog is literally dawn out.
                              French and British Great danes seem to fall much closer to American traits.
                              None of the European Champions are as overdone and rectangular as some of the overdone BYB Euros. Some BYBers are pushing a dog who is so stocky and heavily boned they weight 200 pounds are short and have wrinkles like an English mastiff.
                              The biggest reason people think their is a huge difference between the two is the many poorly breed Grey hound looking danes when compared to the massive imported ones, If you compare multiple champions from America to Champions from over seas you'll only see slight differences, I see more with females. To me Champions all look very different and I see many extremes among the colors.
                              That said these are the differences I have seen after viewing multiple show videos and going to shows so this is my opinion
                              Ok i will try being nice.What makes you judge and jury?How long have you had danes ?How long have you been a breeder?And how long have you been judging?Yeah thats what i thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X