Richmond, VA microchip clinic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MistyLyn View Post
    OK, I looked at the AKC site, and they have their OWN chipping--CAR. That appears to be the only ID searchable database based on a chip number--and the HomeAgain number would NOT be searchable there.
    If you go to the link I provided and click on "enroll today" you can see where it asks for the number of the chip and the brand of the chip (including home again). They will send you a tag of their own with the number on it so that people will know to look in the AKC database if the dog is still wearing its collar. Not making this up I swear, check the link I already posted.
    Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
    Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
      If you go to the link I provided and click on "enroll today" you can see where it asks for the number of the chip and the brand of the chip (including home again). They will send you a tag of their own with the number on it so that people will know to look in the AKC database if the dog is still wearing its collar. Not making this up I swear, check the link I already posted.
      LOL..no, I believe you! I was just making the point that the number is useless unless it's registered SOMEWHERE with a searchable database. I misunderstood your initial post.

Comment

Now I get the feeling I really need to go home and check on Sawyer's registration. It really concerns me that he's not list on my account.
        -- Mike

sigpic
        Owned by
        Sydney 11 Jan 2005 - 20 July 2011
        Sawyer (avatar) 07 Apr 2005 - 23 Sept 2009

Comment

LOL..no, I believe you! I was just making the point that the number is useless unless it's registered SOMEWHERE with a searchable database. I misunderstood your initial post.
          I agree that in general it's only useful if it's registered somewhere (I really like the idea of registering it with the county as a permanent license). I guess the only exception I could think of would be if someone had/stole your dog and you had to prove it was yours? If you could provide the HomeAgain paperwork that matches the microchip number in your dog then you'd be golden, even if your subscription wasn't active with them. But I don't think that situation comes up very often :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
            I agree that in general it's only useful if it's registered somewhere (I really like the idea of registering it with the county as a permanent license). I guess the only exception I could think of would be if someone had/stole your dog and you had to prove it was yours? If you could provide the HomeAgain paperwork that matches the microchip number in your dog then you'd be golden, even if your subscription wasn't active with them. But I don't think that situation comes up very often :-/
            But how would they know the chip number belonged on YOUR dog who belonged to YOU? I thought when the vet put the chip in, they just kinda pulled one out of a box of chips, but they didn't do the paperwork to make sure your dog was linked to that number. Does that make sense?? I think I"m babbling now...lolol.

Edited to add: I guess if you found out WHO had your dog, then did a reverse thing and petitioned to have the dog scanned, then could provide the paperwork.... Wouldn't do you much good, however, if the dog was found somewhere. The scan would find the chip but no way to find out who BOUGHT the chip, right? Hmmm.

Comment

Whoa, whoa....I'm sorry to be so stupid about all of this, but now ya'll have me really confused. So Sam is also chipped with HomeAgain, but when I got all their mail about paying an annual fee, I assumed that was just for their additional services of helping you with lost flyers, the extra coupons, etc, blah, blah, blah. I just assumed that once she was chipped, that that would be it. If she's found with no collar and someone scans her, then I get found........so is this now wrong?

Is the info on the chip only a number? and if you don't pay, then they won't tell who the dog belongs to????? What if they went out of business or something??? (I guess I was thinking there was a national data base or something.)
              sigpic
              Hank 02/07/2010
              Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Originally posted by My2Danes View Post
                Now I get the feeling I really need to go home and check on Sawyer's registration. It really concerns me that he's not list on my account.
                Mike, can't you just call them? That would concern me too, but maybe "grandfathered" dogs aren't listed on the account page??

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelchick View Post
                  Whoa, whoa....I'm sorry to be so stupid about all of this, but now ya'll have me really confused. So Sam is also chipped with HomeAgain, but when I got all their mail about paying an annual fee, I assumed that was just for their additional services of helping you with lost flyers, the extra coupons, etc, blah, blah, blah. I just assumed that once she was chipped, that that would be it. If she's found with no collar and someone scans her, then I get found........so is this now wrong?

Is the info on the chip only a number? and if you don't pay, then they won't tell who the dog belongs to????? What if they went out of business or something??? (I guess I was thinking there was a national data base or something.)
                  The way I understand it is that the number needs to be registered in one of the available searchable databases--unless your vet provides that service. Ours didn't, so we registered with Home Again. Now that I have been educated here today (thanks Misty!!), I might just register both with the AKC database and forget about the yearly fees!

I could be totally wrong, and often am, so I'm anxious to get more feedback here.

Comment

You'd need to call HomeAgain and be sure how it works. Did you send in registration info when you first had the chip done? If so, it's in their database, as for the annual fee, I'm still not sure what that gets you. I'll be calling them in an hour or two and post my findings here.

Mike, can't you just call them? That would concern me too, but maybe "grandfathered" dogs aren't listed on the account page??
                    Yeah Misty, I'll have to give them a call. Sawyer should be listed, he and Sydney would both be grandfathered and Sydney shows up. I don't have his chip number, so I'll have to wait until I go home for lunch to read it off of the tag on his collar.
                    -- Mike

sigpic
                    Owned by
                    Sydney 11 Jan 2005 - 20 July 2011
                    Sawyer (avatar) 07 Apr 2005 - 23 Sept 2009

Comment

Thanks, and I'm gonna call my vet today and see what they say since they are the ones who put the chip in her.

(why do I feel like we are getting ripped off here???) I can't remember what I paid for the chip to begin with, but it wasn't cheap.
                      sigpic
                      Hank 02/07/2010
                      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Thanks, and I'm gonna call my vet today and see what they say since they are the ones who put the chip in her.

(why do I feel like we are getting ripped off here???) I can't remember what I paid for the chip to begin with, but it wasn't cheap.
                        If it wasn't cheap and some kind of registration wasn't included, then you probably did get ripped off from what I'm reading. HomeAgain id chips only run about $20, and any extra costs would be for inserting the chip and registration.

Comment

Richmond, VA microchip clinic

I know that every now and then our local animal shelter will have a $20 microchipping day.

Also, about 2 months ago, the low cost vaccianation doctor that goes to Petco, was offering a special rate on his microchipping also.
                          sigpic "To err is human, to forgive, canine." – Unknown

Susan & Gibson

Comment

Working...
                          X