Richmond, VA microchip clinic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond, VA microchip clinic

Richmond, VA is offering $20 microchipping for our pets. I was surprised at how many of us are in this area, so I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone is interested.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...210604/286796/
    *~Molly and Oakley~*

sigpic

Thanks! I saw this in the paper this morning as well! I'm going to take Zeus to get him chipped :-)

Comment

Wow. Great deal. It cost me somewhere around $75 each to get my Danes 'chipped. Sadly, HomeAgain has now moved to a subscription-based service. I really need to reconfirm that my dogs were grandfathered under the old system.
      -- Mike

sigpic
      Owned by
      Sydney 11 Jan 2005 - 20 July 2011
      Sawyer (avatar) 07 Apr 2005 - 23 Sept 2009

Comment

We have Home Again....isn't just a one time fee??

Comment

HomeAgain had sent me an email over a year ago and certainly made it seem like the service was no longer a one-time fee. I'm on their site now trying to figure all of that out-- and get logged into my account which I haven't used since I moved.

EDIT: It appears that my dogs have a "limited" service level. In the past emails they were suggesting upgrading to "full" service, whatever that is.
          Last edited by My2Danes; 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM.
          -- Mike

sigpic
          Owned by

Comment

Originally posted by My2Danes View Post
            Wow. Great deal. It cost me somewhere around $75 each to get my Danes 'chipped. Sadly, HomeAgain has now moved to a subscription-based service. I really need to reconfirm that my dogs were grandfathered under the old system.
            What, what? Valor was microchipped around two years ago with HomeAgain and Leo was just microchipped with them in February (when we got him - it's required if you have your dog on a military base), but I haven't heard a darn thing about a subscription fee??? How did you hear about this?
            Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
            Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

I just looked. Appears that my lab is covered under the basic recovery for life (grandfather clause I guess), but Chaucer's chip is $14.95 a year. I can add the proactive recovery, etc. to Willow's for $14.95 a year as well. I didn't realize that was the deal--I thought when I enrolled Chaucer that I had the same thing for both.

My2Danes, you mentioned paying $75 EACH for chips?? Did that include the registration of the chip?

Comment

HomeAgain had sent me an email over a year ago and certainly made it seem like the service was no longer a one-time fee. I'm on their site now trying to figure all of that out-- and get logged into my account which I haven't used since I moved.
                Sorry, you posted while I was typing, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
                  What, what? Valor was microchipped around two years ago with HomeAgain and Leo was just microchipped with them in February (when we got him - it's required if you have your dog on a military base), but I haven't heard a darn thing about a subscription fee??? How did you hear about this?
                  Misty, when you have your dog chipped, you have to "register" the chip with the HomeAgain. It used to be a one time fee to register, but now it's a $14.95 annual fee. I don't know how I missed that fine print when I registered Chaucer's chip!!

Comment

Originally posted by MistyLyn View Post
                    Misty, when you have your dog chipped, you have to "register" the chip with the HomeAgain. It used to be a one time fee to register, but now it's a $14.95 annual fee. I don't know how I missed that fine print when I registered Chaucer's chip!!
                    Okay, so I did some research and from what I can tell the $14.95 fee is just for their recovery services? Once the dog is microchiped, the chip still works and, when scanned, still lists the same id number. If I want it listed with Homeagain, I have to pay 14.95/year/month or whatever. BUT the number is still there, implanted in the dog. We have our dogs' id numbers on file with the U.S. Army, for instance. You can also put it on file with the AKC here:

http://www.akccar.org/

I believe the AKC is a database that would be routinely checked by shelters, etc. if a dog is found. You probably also have to list the number with the county if you use it as a permanent license.

So you don't HAVE to pay homeagain to keep your dog in their database.

Comment

That's not the way I understood it to work. I thought that once the scanner scanned the number, the only way to cross reference it was with the chip company. Wow, if you're right, I could save a little cash!

Comment

Yeah, back when I paid $75 each that included the (at the time) one-time fee. Now it appears they've moved to an annual subscription. Hopefully, they won't get me for that when I fix the contact information for Sawyer -- he's not showing up under my account.

Wow, two Mistys in the same thread. Now that's confusing
                        -- Mike

sigpic
                        Owned by

Comment

OK, I looked at the AKC site, and they have their OWN chipping registration--CAR. That appears to be the only ID searchable database based on a chip number--and the HomeAgain number would NOT be searchable there unless you paid the fee.
                          Last edited by MistyLyn; 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, back when I paid $75 each that included the (at the time) one-time fee. Now it appears they've moved to an annual subscription. Hopefully, they won't get me for that when I fix the contact information for Sawyer -- he's not showing up under my account.

Wow, two Mistys in the same thread. Now that's confusing
                            LOL...yes, it is confusing, even for me! That seemed like a lot, but I guess I paid $35 or so for Chaucer's chip and that did NOT include the registration, so I guess it's a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyLyn View Post
                              That's not the way I understood it to work. I thought that once the scanner scanned the number, the only way to cross reference it was with the chip company. Wow, if you're right, I could save a little cash!
                              The AKC registry is a one time on-line fee of $17.95 (19.95 for paper enrollments), but at least it's not every year!

Two Mistys IS confusing - I've read a few threads addressed to the other Misty and I had to re-read to make sure they weren't to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X