How long after neutering should swelling last ??GRAPHIC PICS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after neutering should swelling last ??GRAPHIC PICS

I am new to this forum, but we are starting to get a little worried about our Dane, Jameis. He was neutered on 7/13 the attached pictures are of how swollen he still was on 7/19. He has been created the whole time, only goes out on a leash.( He is chomping on the bit to go run) and he has a voracious appetite. The swelling has not gone away,the color of surgical area is not red or appears filled with blood. Should I be worried or is this normal ??
    Last edited by Nolephan; 07-29-2016, 10:12 PM. Reason: Adding pics

The photo link is an "invalid attachment".
    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, how old is he? I wouldn't be super concerned, some dogs just swell more than others. And as long as it's not oozing anything or red, or hot to the touch he should be ok. You can try putting cold compresses on it if he'll let you. Maybe wrap a bag of frozen peas in a dishtowel and hold them on there for 10 minutes a few times a day and see if that helps. Also, I couldn't see the picture either. Maybe it looks worse that what you're describing and he should visit the vet for a follow up.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I can't see the photo either. You are almost 3 weeks post surgery. Have you returned to the vet? I have neutered many male dogs in my life time and within a week of surgery, it's pretty much all healed up and a non-issue. I would be greatly concerned if at almost 3 weeks there is still enough swelling that you are concerned about his welfare. I would say that you need to return to the vet for a recheck because by 3 weeks, it should be a thing of the past. As in healed, sutures removed and just a saggy bag of skin back there. If there is persistent swelling at this stage, he needs a vet check.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow, yeah, three weeks is to long. I don't know why but I wasn't even thinking about the date, I just saw that the swelling was 6 days post neuter and it didn't seem to horrible.
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I did see OPs original pic and it looked pretty swollen to me, but I didn't comment as I have no basis for comparison. To me it looked sort of like an egg-shaped grapefruit-sized area of swelling. Did you go to the vet for a follow up yet? Hope he's ok.
            -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

swelling after neuter

I am trying to find anyone that had to deal with a scrotal hematoma after their baby was neutered. My boy was neutered 10 days ago at the age of 14 months.There is still so much swelling. When I picked him up last Monday they told me he developed a hematoma and to ice it. It was a size of a small grapefruit. I took him back 2 days later cause it was oozing blood and looked terrible. They put him on antibiotics and told me it could take up to a month to heal or he may need a scrotal ablation. It has gotten alittle smaller but not as quickly as I was hoping for. It is the size of a soft ball. I just cant see this actually going away on its own. I am praying it will because now Im so scared of him going through another surgery. Please let me know if anyone has experienced this complication after a neuter.

Comment

I would say that since the swelling is going down, whatever you are doing is technically working. Just not as fast as you would like, I'm sure. I think sometimes, because the testicles are bigger in an adult Dane, the hematoma is bigger and uglier and honestly, scarier looking, but isn't as huge a deal as it seems. As long as it's not hot to the touch or oozing pus I would keep doing what you're doing. Can you take his temperature? Normal temp for dogs is around 101.5.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                X