Should I Neuter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
    No worries I wouldn't sell you one anyway!
    I have a very long line of past buyers who buy my pups....its why you have never, nor will you ever, see me advertising for homes for my pups. They are sold before they are born.
    That alone tells you a little something about my Danes, my breeding program AND their temperaments. My breeding program, which includes more CHIC champions than anyone in the country, BOB Westminster, National awards, therapy, and yes, those cherished couch companions (that I require to be neutered by 12 months) are bred to be gorgeous, healthy, temperamentally sounds Danes.
    So yeah, that's it in a nut shell Hiraeth.
    I never questioned the history of your program. I know exactly who you are, and I know the dogs you've produced. I think you give buyers advice that works for your dogs, and you clearly produce very healthy dogs. I wish more programs were like yours. Seriously. None of this is written with wrath, or with the intent of arguing. I wish that everyone's lines were so cancer free that a neuter at 12 months wouldn't be a problem for them.

If you left an online forum because people disagree with you... *shrug* I dunno. Plenty of people disagree with me. And say so. And I don't say 'well, this is why I'm leaving, clearly things around here are terrible because not everyone shares my opinion'. I also don't really view you saying something, me disagreeing, you disagreeing and me responding to that once and then beginning to interact with other people as 'badgering'.

Your opinion is valuable, and your experience is valuable. Leaving, and losing the chance to educate people, and losing the chance to talk about the breed that you're actively improving with your lines... Well, obviously no one can stop you, but I hope you reconsider. There's a block button if you really dislike a certain user so much that you'd rather never hear from them again, and I'd certainly rather that you block me than the community lose your presence and experience because of one small disagreement on one thread.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
      I never questioned the history of your program. I know exactly who you are, and I know the dogs you've produced. I think you give buyers advice that works for your dogs, and you clearly produce very healthy dogs. I wish more programs were like yours. Seriously. None of this is written with wrath, or with the intent of arguing. I wish that everyone's lines were so cancer free that a neuter at 12 months wouldn't be a problem for them.

If you left an online forum because people disagree with you... *shrug* I dunno. Plenty of people disagree with me. And say so. And I don't say 'well, this is why I'm leaving, clearly things around here are terrible because not everyone shares my opinion'. I also don't really view you saying something, me disagreeing, you disagreeing and me responding to that once and then beginning to interact with other people as 'badgering'.

Your opinion is valuable, and your experience is valuable. Leaving, and losing the chance to educate people, and losing the chance to talk about the breed that you're actively improving with your lines... Well, obviously no one can stop you, but I hope you reconsider. There's a block button if you really dislike a certain user so much that you'd rather never hear from them again, and I'd certainly rather that you block me than the community lose your presence and experience because of one small disagreement on one thread.
      Let me clarify something:
      1) My lines are not cancer free. I have had Danes that carry the DA name die of the 3 most common cancers in Danes. Lymphoma, osteosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma (only 2 from Hemagio). What I am saying is that I do not see a high occurrence in those neutered (or diagnosed at a younger age) than those left intact.
      2) Being very involved in this breed for many years, knowing many lines of Danes, some that are very long established, I believe that these cancers, especially osteosarcoma is WAY more about genetics than hormones. I also believe that GIANT breeds are FAR more disposed to have this cancer because of their high rate of growth. I also believe that severe concussions to the front legs during the rapid growth stage sets that area up for osteosarcoma lesions down the road. Hormones inducing a higher risk of developing osteosarcoma is far down *my* list. I think having the hardships that a testosterone charged male has is more to worry about than the slight risk of cancer.
      3) People disagreeing with me isn't the problem. You stated your opinion, I stated mine, you than have to come back to my post, and give your opinion again to mine post......you already gave your opinion. Than your implications directed specifically to me and my Danes was uncalled for. You want to take it personal, and I do not.
      How old are your two males? How many male intact Great Danes have you owned? How many Danes have you owned? I could get personal too, ask for your qualifications, but really I don't care.
      Just give your opinion, no need to agree or disagree with me....pretty sure the public and figure it out.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

People disagreeing with me isn't the problem. You stated your opinion, I stated mine, you than have to come back to my post, and give your opinion again to mine post......you already gave your opinion. Than your implications directed specifically to me and my Danes was uncalled for. You want to take it personal, and I do not.
        Definitely not taking it personally. Forums are for back and forth conversation. If we limit ourselves to disagreeing once and then not responding again when the person we disagreed with comes back with something different to say... That really halts conversation (and the chance for education, and for potentially the changing of opinions).

How old are your two males? How many male intact Great Danes have you owned? How many Danes have you owned? I could get personal too, ask for your qualifications, but really I don't care.
        Just give your opinion, no need to agree or disagree with me....pretty sure the public and figure it out.
        If you don't care, then let's just let it lie.

I did not mean what I said before facetiously at all, may I add. I really do hope you remain in the community, even if you block or pointedly avoid me. The forum has been lacking in life lately, so the loss of even one knowledgeable participant is very significant.
        sigpic

Comment

Pros and Cons

Here is an article I found that gives a lot of great points for and against getting your dog fixed. I learned a lot about the decision making process regarding the procedure from this page and hopefully you can too.
          https://www.petdoors.com/blog/the-tr...and-neutering/

Comment

I believe that the *average* pet owner is not set up to handle two intact male Danes. There may be benefits to keeping a dog intact, and there may be benefits to neutering. I have read many very convincing articles coming from both sides.

I have two intact males, and at this point I have no problems with them. However, they are both young. One is 10 months, and the other 18 months. I lord over them, and I make it clear that I control all situations. Any play that gets too rough, I intercept. Any side-eye is corrected. Any toy or food guarding is corrected. You have to watch them so closely...the subtleties of body language are huge and often missed by the average owner. What starts out as innocent play can escalate quickly. I also never leave them at home alone together unsupervised. One goes in a kennel and the other is trusted to be free in the same room, but they can't be alone where they could possibly hurt each other. Once the trust between them is broken, it will never be able to be gotten back.

Dogs at shows are held in tight control by handlers, and a dog that may normally show dog-aggressive tendencies are kept in check. I learned long ago that it's not wise to allow my dog to look too long at another male or get too close. It's asking for trouble. Handlers keep tight rein and direct eye contact is curtailed. So, saying that all dogs at shows aren't aggressive isn't always accurate.

In a pet home, these dogs are big enough to kill each other or their owner if things got out of control. In most cases, I think it's reasonable to say that it is vital that the pet home understand this. This in itself is a risk that is every bit as large as cancer in a neutered pet.

My 18 month old is very laid back and dog friendly. I am waiting to see how he grows out, and if he doesn't look like he'll succeed in the ring, I will probably neuter him by the time he's 3. Even though he's a big mush, he goes crazy when he smells a bitch in heat and it's hard to see him anxious, pacing, whining, and not eating. It increases his risk for bloat due to stress and it's miserable for him and for me. If we were a one dog household I might not do it but with all of the factors added up, it is the most logical choice for us.
            Last edited by Michelle L; 02-25-2017, 11:18 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle L View Post
              I believe that the *average* pet owner is not set up to handle two intact male Danes. There may be benefits to keeping a dog intact, and there may be benefits to neutering. I have read many very convincing articles coming from both sides.

I have two intact males, and at this point I have no problems with them. However, they are both young. One is 10 months, and the other 18 months. I lord over them, and I make it clear that I control all situations. Any play that gets too rough, I intercept. Any side-eye is corrected. Any toy or food guarding is corrected. You have to watch them so closely...the subtleties of body language are huge and often missed by the average owner. What starts out as innocent play can escalate quickly. I also never leave them at home alone together unsupervised. One goes in a kennel and the other is trusted to be free in the same room, but they can't be alone where they could possibly hurt each other. Once the trust between them is broken, it will never be able to be gotten back.

Dogs at shows are held in tight control by handlers, and a dog that may normally show dog-aggressive tendencies are kept in check. I learned long ago that it's not wise to allow my dog to look too long at another male or get too close. It's asking for trouble. Handlers keep tight rein and direct eye contact is curtailed. So, saying that all dogs at shows aren't aggressive isn't always accurate.

In a pet home, these dogs are big enough to kill each other or their owner if things got out of control. In most cases, I think it's reasonable to say that it is vital that the pet home understand this. This in itself is a risk that is every bit as large as cancer in a neutered pet.

My 18 month old is very laid back and dog friendly. I am waiting to see how he grows out, and if he doesn't look like he'll succeed in the ring, I will probably neuter him by the time he's 3. Even though he's a big mush, he goes crazy when he smells a bitch in heat and it's hard to see him anxious, pacing, whining, and not eating. It increases his risk for bloat due to stress and it's miserable for him and for me. If we were a one dog household I might not do it but with all of the factors added up, it is the most logical choice for us.
              and that's it in a nutshell folks!
              Been there and done that for 25yrs......
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
              sigpic

Comment

Late last year my pup was killed by a pit while boarded. Poor guy never fought back. Supposedly, the other dog busted out of a "double locked" crate to get to my dog. The only thing I can imagine is the fact that my dog was intact and the other wasn't. It has basically traumatized me. I did plan to neuter him after his second birthday. He was killed 1 day after he turned two. I can't help but wonder if neutering him sooner would have prevented this tragedy from happening. Not only did I lose a family member, but also my service dog. He was a big part of my "fresh start" in Hawaii, but the start wasn't so fresh, afterall.

I will be getting another dane in the future. It is a very hard task living in Hawaii due to their quarantine laws and finding a breeder here is next to impossible. One thing for sure, I will not be boarding another dog. This thread is definitely helpful in furthering my research into the to fix or not to fix, and how soon. I personally had no issues with my intact male.

Comment

Originally posted by eonosmom View Post
                  I can't help but wonder if neutering him sooner would have prevented this tragedy from happening.
                  It wasn't you or your dog's fault. Nothing will stop a dog aggressive Pit Bull except hyper diligence, which it would seem the kennel lacked. That is a tragedy and I am so sorry you lost your baby in such a terrible way. You'll probably second guess yourself for a while no matter what anyone says, but there really was nothing you could have or should have done (besides be psychic).

~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                  X