Marking before/after neuter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking before/after neuter

So does this get much better after neutering? Finn is intact at 17 months, and we really have had no issues because of it, but I'm getting a little tired of him stopping to leave a yellow calling card on every vertical surface we pass on walks. We walked 2 miles tonight and he peed 10 times! I feel like all I do is tell him to leave it Someone please tell me he'll be over this once he's neutered.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Ummmm - good luck? 😉 I think it really depends on the dog.
    My neighbor's hunting dog marked just as frequently post-neuter as before. Our female Aussie mix (who was fairly territorial) would try to mark at least ten times in a twenty minute walk. And she was spayed from the get-go as we got her as a pup from the pound.
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I think marking has little to nothing to do with neutering and everything to do with the individual dog.

All three of my neutered males mark(ed) heavily. I know a few unaltered males who don't mark at all.

I wouldn't count on neutering to remove any "bad" habits, really.
      sigpic

Comment

Rupert was neutered at 10 months and still marks like a madman. Hogarth was neutered at 6 months and never marks a thing (well, when he was healthy he didn't). Also, he never lifted his leg, he always "boy dog squatted". Riley is a female and was spayed at 1 yr., still marks all over. I guess I agree with the "depends on the individual dog" theory. Good luck!
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Aww, nuts. At least he has a pretty decent leave it, and he doesn't mark in the house...guess I'll count my blessings!
          sigpic
          Chaucey

Comment

Ferg was neutered at 19 months, but was never really into marking. Now he'd rather die than potty in public. He looks at me like, "OMG mom are you SERIOUS?! Somebody could see!!!"
            sigpic
            Fergus
            SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
            Eisen Shark
            C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
              Ferg was neutered at 19 months, but was never really into marking. Now he'd rather die than potty in public. He looks at me like, "OMG mom are you SERIOUS?! Somebody could see!!!"
              Asaah wont go on leash. She hasn't even once the entire almost-a-year that we've had her. Even the 17 hour car trip here from Florida she didn't pee once. If you take the leash off, then she'll pee. So weird Finn obviously doesn't have that problem.
              sigpic
              Chaucey

Comment

Do you turn around for Assah, lol? That's what my boys make me do now! 😄
                -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                  Do you turn around for Assah, lol? That's what my boys make me do now! 😄
                  I tried that, it didn't work! Luckily she just holds it when we go somewhere and doesn't pee every 10 minutes like Finn, and if we're out all day she's trustworthy off leash.
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                    Asaah wont go on leash. She hasn't even once the entire almost-a-year that we've had her. Even the 17 hour car trip here from Florida she didn't pee once. If you take the leash off, then she'll pee. So weird Finn obviously doesn't have that problem.
                    When we were on vacation this summer Ferg pooped like once every 3 days lol. But then we took them for a hike so they could be off leash, and very first thing both days he ran like hell for a tree and took a poop hahaha.

With Asaah being completely opposed to going on leash, I hope you don't ever take her somewhere for an extended period of time haha. Friends of ours took their dog to some swanky hotel in San Antonio for a long weekend. She won't go on leash, and she "exploded" in the elevator...at the nice hotel. Oops.
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                      When we were on vacation this summer Ferg pooped like once every 3 days lol. But then we took them for a hike so they could be off leash, and very first thing both days he ran like hell for a tree and took a poop hahaha.

With Asaah being completely opposed to going on leash, I hope you don't ever take her somewhere for an extended period of time haha. Friends of ours took their dog to some swanky hotel in San Antonio for a long weekend. She won't go on leash, and she "exploded" in the elevator...at the nice hotel. Oops.
                      I sincerely hope that doesn't happen...but I wouldn't be shocked if it did! So far we haven't gone anywhere longer than a day trip because my husband isn't done with school yet.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey

Comment

Working...
                      X