Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singing "I will survive" a lot, but not as bad as I anticipated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singing "I will survive" a lot, but not as bad as I anticipated!

Miss Peach is officially 2 weeks through he first heat now. I'm assuming she should be pretty much done by the 17th (21 days) but plan to keep her safe guarded for another 7 days after that to be safe.

All in all... this isn't so bad! Not gonna lie, I was pretty nervous about this all, her being my first dog to go through a heat (both of my family's goldens were spayed at 5 months- sigh), and her being a giant at that. She's actually been really good. A little extra rangy, but generally very manageable.

I've been taking her for walks twice a day as usual, taking extra care to walk in neighbourhoods where I know people don't have loose or tethered dogs, and crossing streets or sitting down to wait while dogs pass as necessary. The first day Peach tried to pull the "I'm in heat and I'm going misbehave/pull/leap/be distracted" card. I just took her back to square one and put her into command for every step and kept circling and slowing her and backing her up until she figured out we weren't putting one step forward until she behaved normally. And then we've been fine ever since! Not a foot out of line. Thank god for such a good submissive girl. It's been a life saver that she's been behaved enough to walk. If she had been a total monster out and about I would have put her much more on lock down to prevent her learning bad habits & personality changes that were heat induced. So far so good though.

The poor girl has a diaper for the house, and every time I put in on her she gives me this baleful looks that says "Mom, this diaper degrades the both of us. For reals." I'm definitely still going to have to mop when it's all done, but nothing super crazy on the mess front.

So my original plan was to let her go through one heat naturally and assess from there. If she was a total nightmare I would get her spayed fully at 18 months and be done with it (she's 14 months now). I had said if she was manageable I would strongly consider an ovary sparing spay to preserve her female hormones. I'm super protective about her, and because I don't know anything about her history (and because it's probably not good), I've always just wanted the best I can give her and what will give her the best shot at a long healthy life. As it is, I'm leaning towards getting the ovary sparing spay. If I had none of the mess to deal with and no worry of unwanted puppies, as far as I'm concerned, what I'm dealing with behaviour wise is a non issue.

When I talked to my vet 6 months ago about it she said she had never done it and always just took everything, BUT, she said if I felt strongly about it she would do what I want for my dog. That makes me nervous about the risk of stump pyo though, which she knew about and said that if she did it her incision would have to be larger than usual to make sure all of the uterus was gone. She's a very willing vet... but maybe not experienced enough to let her do my dog as her first OSS?

There is a vet clinic that does just spay/neuters an hour north of us that does OSS. I don't know them at all though. The barn where I keep my horse took their two dogs to them for laparoscopic spays and said they were great, efficient, reasonably priced, and "not a chop shop". LOL, that last line scares me though. Maybe I'll give them a call and scout them out a bit.

That was a long ramble. I guess I'm just really interested in this topic.
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

I didn't have my regular vet do Asaah's spay, I went to Finn's breeder's vet about 3 hours away. You only have to go once, barring complications. I'd personally prefer someone with experience.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I'm all for helping medical professionals get experience (eg. letting student nurses practice skills, etc. etc.) but when it comes to an actual surgery where there are significant risks involved, I personally would prefer someone with previous experience-- ESPECIALLY if there isn't going to be an experienced vet looking over her shoulder to give advice in the event of a complication.
      Of course experience doesn't guarantee that the procedure will go perfectly-- there are always risks of unexpected complications.
      If I were you I'd call the other clinic and ask to talk to one of the vets who is experienced in the procedure, then go with what your gut tells you!
      sigpic
      “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by GraciesMama View Post
        I'm all for helping medical professionals get experience (eg. letting student nurses practice skills, etc. etc.) but when it comes to an actual surgery where there are significant risks involved, I personally would prefer someone with previous experience-- ESPECIALLY if there isn't going to be an experienced vet looking over her shoulder to give advice in the event of a complication.
        Of course experience doesn't guarantee that the procedure will go perfectly-- there are always risks of unexpected complications.
        If I were you I'd call the other clinic and ask to talk to one of the vets who is experienced in the procedure, then go with what your gut tells you!
        This! My vet is very experienced with giants, but if she wasn't she wouldn't be gaining her experience on my beasties. I was a complete basket case when Fergus was neutered, and that's even with having total trust in her abilities.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

As some of you may know; my Vet backed out of Celle's spay/pexy procedure one week prior to the scheduled date. I was able to reschedule with a skilled surgical hospital for a laparoscopic spay/pexy. I will have the full spay performed. This Monday is our consult, then surgery on Tuesday. And yes, I'm nervous about it but feel much better than having my Vet try it. Celle was also the first female pet of any kind I let go into heat. It wasn't all that bad. Three months after the fact and her "false ninnies" have finally begun to look normal. She looked like she had just nursed a litter, they were so full and swollen. Celle's 14.5 months old.
          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Originally posted by hdpartsman0032 View Post
            As some of you may know; my Vet backed out of Celle's spay/pexy procedure one week prior to the scheduled date. I was able to reschedule with a skilled surgical hospital for a laparoscopic spay/pexy. I will have the full spay performed. This Monday is our consult, then surgery on Tuesday. And yes, I'm nervous about it but feel much better than having my Vet try it. Celle was also the first female pet of any kind I let go into heat. It wasn't all that bad. Three months after the fact and her "false ninnies" have finally begun to look normal. She looked like she had just nursed a litter, they were so full and swollen. Celle's 14.5 months old.
            Yeah, I guess when I say it hasn't been that bad we're not really out of the woods yet. I guess the false pregnancy thing is still kind of out there. How common is it for dogs to go through a false pregnancy after heat? Are they the rule, or more the exception?
            sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
            Born July 7 2014
            Peach & Emily!

Comment

Working...
            X