Nervous about waiting to neuter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous about waiting to neuter

This is probably going to sound kind of strange to some people, but although I understand why a Dane shouldent be neuterd until around 18-24 months it makes me nervous with potential behaviour issues.

Every animal I've owned has been spayed or neuterd between 4-9 months of age (with males being fixed sooner than females), and I've had some all around great and very healthy animals.

But when we got our first 'family dog' when I was about really young we had no idea about fixing our dog since all of my parents previous animals came fixed from shelters and the vet never mentioned it... It was the animal control officer that was constantly getting cornered by him when he woul escape our yard that suggested it and we took his advice. Before getting neutered he marked a lot, tried his best to run but always came home, was a bit agressive to anyone who was not family, and he humped a lot.
    Most of the issues were mostly resolved within a few months of the neuter, and he never left the yard again.

So although maybe it was a fluke and his personality, it did seem to change for the better after his neuter so it does make me nervous on waiting so long to get my dane fixed. Granted hes barely a week old so it's pretty irrelevant right now lol, but I wanted to put this out there and see what people have to say. I understand more than most that every dog will have its own personality, so nothing is exact. But some reasurance would be nice lol.
    Jessika

Mommy to Pixie (White/blue) and Chief (blue/white) the Pit Bulls, Mojo-Jojo the one eyed Siamese, Rebel the Maine Coin and Jinx the silver tabby. Soon to be mommy to a male harlequin Great Dane, born on 6/7/2015 💗sigpic

You don't have to wait until 18 to 24 months to neuter. That pendulum swings both ways with pros and cons. Ideally, you want the bulk of the growth done but before they 'come into their own' so to speak. Neutering at 9-12 months is fine for a dane and if you plan on doing a gastropexy, it can be done at that time too. Unless you have a breeder contract stating a time frame, you can make that choice for yourself.

If you do have a breeder contract stating the 18-24 months, I would suggest you speak to the breeder about this. Most are happy to discuss and perhaps even amend this contract with you. Nothing is set in stone until you've signed the bottom line. They have more knowledge about their dogs and their line. You concerns and nervousness should be addressed with the breeder.

Phineas was neutered and had a gastropexy at nine months. We considered our options, risks vs reward and took into account the other male dog in our home. We felt waiting any longer was not a good option for us and since it is fine to neuter a dane between 9-12 months, we did just that.

There are pros to waiting and cons to waiting. Pick your happy medium, but do NOT neuter prior to 9 months. Everyone has their own idea and reasons, but I highly suggest you do your research and choose what you think is best for YOU and YOUR dog.
    Last edited by Angel7292; 06-15-2015, 04:15 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I neutered Mouse when I got him at 14 months--he's stocky and very much male looking. He tried to hump everything before the snip and that all stopped right after.

I would have no problem neutering a male dane any time after ten months.
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Thank you guys, that makes me feel much better! The breeder is not putting me on a contract- she said only because after our discussions she has no doubt that he will be neutered. I work with too many animal rescue groups to ever think it's ok to breed a dog "just because", and as you guys ready I'm paranoid about waiting to do it.

But that makes me very relieved that if there seem to be any issues beginning that may be due to still being intact that I can neuter him at 9 months. Though if everything goes as smooth as it can (not really something that happens in my life but we'll see lol), I would like to wait until at least 18 months but it will depend on him and how he behaves. Granted I know no matter how well you train your dog they will always have their own personality, and they all go through their teenage stages and what not, and I know all too well those stubborn/testing stages they go through are different than real behavior issues.. I just want to stay away aggression/running/humping issues that are more likely with the intact males. But I'm probably just over thinking things- my current dogs are so well behaved I have nothing to keep myself occupied other than work until I get the puppy lol
        Jessika

Mommy to Pixie (White/blue) and Chief (blue/white) the Pit Bulls, Mojo-Jojo the one eyed Siamese, Rebel the Maine Coin and Jinx the silver tabby. Soon to be mommy to a male harlequin Great Dane, born on 6/7/2015 💗sigpic

Comment

My guys are 10 months and still squatting when they pee - I have decided to have them Zeuterized instead of Neutered. They go in on the 14th for the procedure and since they will be keeping their equipment I feel pretty good about having it done a little early. I felt like it was a safer procedure and a more healthy option down the road. Should they start to exhibit hormone related behavior that is uncontrollable I will still have the option to remove the trouble maker - lol

Comment

Finn is 13 months. He's never humped a thing, rarely bothers to lift his leg, and has never tried to leave the yard. He'll be neutered at 18 months. If there are no problem behaviors, why neuter earlier than you need to? Training will help with good behavior, and if he starts any behaviors that aren't acceptable to you, then you can schedule the neuter. I wouldn't worry about it until you actually have the dog and have a good idea of his behavior.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I was the opposite of you actually I didn't want to get Titan Neutered at least not yet but I compromised with Chris and we just got it done this past Friday 6/12/15

Titan is 17 months and shows no behavioral issues AT ALL dog parks, public places, great Dane gatherings and etc.... no hiking his leg and no humping.... hes just a well balanced young man.

anyhow we got it done and all it going well for him. good luck on making your choice but if you can wait then it is recommended.
              sigpic
              Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
              Titan - GD
              Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
              Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
              Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Thank you guys, I definitely feel a lot better about it! Especially after today, I met my pups father and he was such a good, sweet dog! I didn't see mom today (though she didn't sound happy to hear me there lol), but I actually met her before she had her pups and she was pretty great too. The two of them having such great personalities and good behaviour are definitely not a guarantee on what my pup will be like, but that plus all of the input from you guys really makes me feel better! Thanks again!
                Jessika

Comment

Working...
                X