Female Spaying Suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Spaying Suggestion

Hey...i've been reading a little about this, but figured I'd start a post as well.
    We have a 15 week old female dane who was at the vet today because of a rash. The question about spaying came up. The vet is recommending that we spay around 7 months. They said that the risk of mammary cancer goes up if you wait longer. Our breeder is recommending 10 months. She thinks it's the best time for the stomach to be in place for pexi and growth plates. We are trying to figure out what the best thing to do is for our dog. We do plan to do pexi as well...so they will be done at the same time. Just wondering what your recommendations are?
    Last edited by merkaba; 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM.

The increased risk for mammary cancer is minimal though many vets will exaggerate the numbers. The pros of waiting til at least 12 months outweigh any supposed con. The risk of mammary cancer is pretty low to begin with.

Since you're doing a pexy at the same time I would aim for around 15 months. 7 months is way too early. Early spay leads to taller dogs due to the lack of hormones and that isn't a good thing for any breed especially a giant breed. Pexies done before the primary growth is completed are less likely to hold as well. Does your breeder not have a spay/neuter contract?

Edit: Most of the studies promoting early spay have been proven to be heavily biased and based solely in theory. What most vets don't tell you is that an early spay increases the risk of other cancers and all sorts of other health issues. Those studies actually have solid evidence to back them up yet dogs are getting spayed earlier and earlier these days. A random number should never be used to determine when to spay.
    Last edited by Thalimar; 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

She does have a spay/neuter contract for sure. I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head. I don't have it with me. I do see plenty of other breeders who have contracts for 8 months (or so). They say if you wait the flux in hormones can alter their temperament as well. I'm just trying to gather all the information so I can make a decision best I can with what I have. Secondly...I need to go home and read the contract to see what it says.

I did talk to my breeder via text (we talk often)...and she highly recommended 10 months.

Comment

I would go with the breeder's advice over the vet. The vet may not be happy about it, but it's not his or her decision, so tough cookies. If he or she knows diddly about giants, it wouldn't be an issue anyway. I would make sure you check out the vet thoroughly before having the spay/pexy surgery done there. Make sure the vet is experienced with the procedure. Otherwise, find somebody else for the surgery.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I agree with the above - it isn't the vets choice especially if you have a contract. The breeder could legally remove the dog if it's violated. But even without one - it's always best to wait until at least a year.

Comment

We did Lola's spay and pexy at 9-10 months. We wanted her closer to adult height so pexy had a better chance of holding. It was also early enough so we avoided a heat cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
              We did Lola's spay and pexy at 9-10 months. We wanted her closer to adult height so pexy had a better chance of holding. It was also early enough so we avoided a heat cycle.
              Yea, I think we are going to listen to our breeder. She is awesome, and we trust her. Around 10 months is the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by merkaba View Post
                Yea, I think we are going to listen to our breeder. She is awesome, and we trust her. Around 10 months is the plan.

Sounds like a plan

Comment

I find that 9 months (earliest) to 12 months (max) is about ideal. It's old enough to have done the bulk of the growth but early enough for full on hormones and usually before the first heat. It is an ideal time to do both the spay and the pexy together.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                    I would go with the breeder's advice over the vet. The vet may not be happy about it, but it's not his or her decision, so tough cookies. If he or she knows diddly about giants, it wouldn't be an issue anyway. I would make sure you check out the vet thoroughly before having the spay/pexy surgery done there. Make sure the vet is experienced with the procedure. Otherwise, find somebody else for the surgery.
                    All the different ages to spay is confusing. I was wondering about the age and like people saying they have leaking problems if done to early and the growth problems. Lucy will be 5 months the 27th and I don't like the whole heat thing but want to do the best thing for her. I didn't get her from breeder so not sure what's best?

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy hall View Post
                      All the different ages to spay is confusing. I was wondering about the age and like people saying they have leaking problems if done to early and the growth problems. Lucy will be 5 months the 27th and I don't like the whole heat thing but want to do the best thing for her. I didn't get her from breeder so not sure what's best?
                      Absolute minimum to spay a dane is 9 months. Please don't spay prior to that. If you don't want her to come into heat, which is fine, just make sure you spay between 9-12 months. There is still a chance she may come into heat prior to 12 months, but usually it's after 12 months. Danes tend to be slow to sexually mature.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                        Absolute minimum to spay a dane is 9 months. Please don't spay prior to that. If you don't want her to come into heat, which is fine, just make sure you spay between 9-12 months. There is still a chance she may come into heat prior to 12 months, but usually it's after 12 months. Danes tend to be slow to sexually mature.
                        OK thanks I will wait till 12 months. I can handle her coming into heat for whatever is best for her. I had always did my standard poodles at 6 months and glad I found this forum for lucy cause I had no clue on danes. But I tell ya if I had known how danes are I would have just had them from the start lucy is so awesome! So loveable fun to watch and just a joy.

Comment

I spayed my first girl at 6 months, not knowing any better, and dealt with spay incontinence for the next 10 years. I'm going to spay 3 months after my new girl's first heat and pray everything goes Ok.
                          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

We spayed at 8 months. It was combined spay and gastropexy, all laparoscopic. Surgery and recovery went fine, home next day and no problems. Our surgeon said for GD spay 7-9 months is fine and laparoscopic gastropexy success at that age has same success as older. Overall we were very happy with how it went and recovery, it was quick and easy on he dig and us.

Comment

That's my biggest fear (after the fear of putting her under) ... post surgery spay and plexy . I'm worried about her trying to stand up after resting and pulling stiches. I'm worried about what to feed her and how much after the plexy. I'm planning on taking 2 weeks vacation to stay with her .... because I'm worried about leaving her alone. I guess you could say .... I'm worried!!
                              sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                              Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                              Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Working...
                              X