Female Spaying Suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hdpartsman0032 View Post
    That's my biggest fear (after the fear of putting her under) ... post surgery spay and plexy . I'm worried about her trying to stand up after resting and pulling stiches. I'm worried about what to feed her and how much after the plexy. I'm planning on taking 2 weeks vacation to stay with her .... because I'm worried about leaving her alone. I guess you could say .... I'm worried!!
    She's not going to pull any stitches just standing up. Just follow all the vet's recommendations - you can keep her leashed or crated after surgery to keep her quiet. Search through the the spay/neuter forum for tips on feeding after pexy.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Chloe's recovery was essentially 1 day after laparoscopic surgery. She was sleepy for about 24 hours, then back to her normal self. The surgeon did not out out her on any diet restrictions, essentially day after survey she was back to her usual kibble. In terms of activity, the surgeon advised no dog parks for couple of weeks, this is in case other dogs injure the surgery sites, otherwise no restrictions. We are very happy with the experience. The key is to find a vet surgeon specifically trained and experienced in laparoscopy.

Comment

Asaah's was laparoscopic too, and she only had restrictions for a few days too. I didn't let her go run around with Finn for a while though because they play pretty rough. She didn't want to eat the first day, but ate a small meal the next day and as fine after that.
        sigpic
        Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
          She's not going to pull any stitches just standing up. Just follow all the vet's recommendations - you can keep her leashed or crated after surgery to keep her quiet. Search through the the spay/neuter forum for tips on feeding after pexy.
          Thanks ... it's really beginning to get me nervous though. I've read so much on line about anesthesia and support of the neck and back while they are under, and then horror stories about keeping them warm after surgery or they'll bleed out ... it just goes on and on. I'm thinking that I should not be the one to hand her over because she will read my fear ... just don't know. And then I'm nervous about her retching from an empty stomach and tearing the stomach tack. (she will bring up the yellow/green foam if her belly is empty) so how is she going to go for more than 24 hours on an empty stomach. I'm just so worried about the whole ordeal
          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Thanks ... it's really beginning to get me nervous though. I've read so much on line about anesthesia and support of the neck and back while they are under, and then horror stories about keeping them warm after surgery or they'll bleed out ... it just goes on and on. I'm thinking that I should not be the one to hand her over because she will read my fear ... just don't know. And then I'm nervous about her retching from an empty stomach and tearing the stomach tack. (she will bring up the yellow/green foam if her belly is empty) so how is she going to go for more than 24 hours on an empty stomach. I'm just so worried about the whole ordeal
            Just make sure you go to an experienced vet. You can print out the Dane anesthesia recommendations from the GDCA website and take them along. And it helps to talk to the vet beforehand so you can discuss all these things. I took Asaah to Finn's breeder's vet, and he took the time to call me back in the evening and we talked for about an hour. That really helped put my mind at ease.
            sigpic
            Chaucey

Comment

Thanks. She has had such a healthy year that we haven't had any issues and had not been back to the Vet since puppy shots. So I scheduled a "wellness" appointment for him to look her over, and while doing so told him of my reservations. This is my Vet hospital of 35 years. I admitted that I was a nervous mom and we were able to talk about my concerns. I didn't think to bring any printouts with me, but did mention how Danes were sensitive to anesthesia, etc. I will take her up shortly for a full blood work up and will specify the clotting factor test as well. I THINK I'm taking all the right steps, but I won't settle down until she's back home safely and on the mend.

Comment

My pup was just spayed and pexied at 11 months 2 weeks ago. Everything went really well. She was pretty much back to her old self the day after. We had her wear one of my DH's t-shirts to prevent her from licking her incision. The vet did pre-op bloodwork to ensure everything looked good.
                sigpic
                6 year old brindle male GD
                3 year old black female GD

Comment

Thank you for sharing ... I certainly hope she will be up and around the next day. I had visions of her being in pain for days and feeling horrible for a week or so. Good idea about the T-shirt. I was about to purchase a neck donut.

Comment

Thank you for sharing ... I certainly hope she will be up and around the next day. I had visions of her being in pain for days and feeling horrible for a week or so. Good idea about the T-shirt. I was about to purchase a neck donut.
                    Asaah was a little doped up on the way home, and slept the rest of the day, but the next day she was all ready to chase squirrels. You'll have a hard time keeping her down if anything. Plus they'll send pain meds home with you. If you do it laparoscopically, you'll only have a very small incision. We didn't need anything, Asaah left hers alone.
                    sigpic
                    Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by maggies View Post
                      My pup was just spayed and pexied at 11 months 2 weeks ago. Everything went really well..
                      Glad to hear - curious if she had gone into heat yet (visibly at home) or if the vet could tell at the time of surgery? I think the 10-11mo window is perfect for females...
                      Warren Briggs, DVM
                      www.ocvh.com
                      www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Working...
                      X