Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neutering stunting growth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Neutering stunting growth?

    This might be a stupid question but I was wondering.
    I ran into a Dane owner at the dog park with my Shepard and commented on the size of his Great Dane. It was much bigger then most males I've seen and he said it was because he waited until it was full grown (almost 2 yrs) before he got him neutered. He told me that if you neuter a male before full growth it could stunt the growth due to lack of testosterone.

    Is this true? When I get my dane should I wait for him to grow fully before neutering him?

  • #2
    Early spaying or neutering in large and giant breeds results in long legs, but they never fill out. Sex hormones are needed to tell the growth plates when to close, so without them the long bones grow for a longer period of time. So you might end up with a tall, spindly Dane if you neuter early. Early spay/neuter in large/giant breeds also increases risk of osteosarcoma and acl tears. Best to wait at least until most of the rapid growth is complete. Asaah was spayed at 2 . Finn will be done after a year, and probably more like 18-24 months.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

    Comment


    • #3
      We had Sarge neutered just before he was a year. We were starting to creep into behaviors that concerned me, and I decided that him developing behavior that I may not be able to train out was more of a concern than possible growth issues. He is a nightmare conformationally, and I have no idea if that is just how he would have been anyway or if it is a result of his "early" neuter.
      sigpic
      Beth, with...
      Daisy the Chihuahua mix
      Ranger the Heeler mix
      Sarge the Great Dane
      Bravo the Mastiff mix

      And two cats, two ferrets, one husband, and four kids.

      Comment


      • #4
        Andross was neutered at 7 months. Law here is dogs must be spayed and neutered by 4 months ha. Sadly I took that seriously though no one else seems to have.

        Anyways compared to his brother who stayed intact till almost 2. Andross is taller and long legged. His bro lil shorter and thicker His head and body is much bigger than andross'
        sigpic Little boy!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lacey View Post
          Andross was neutered at 7 months. Law here is dogs must be spayed and neutered by 4 months ha. Sadly I took that seriously though no one else seems to have.

          Anyways compared to his brother who stayed intact till almost 2. Andross is taller and long legged. His bro lil shorter and thicker His head and body is much bigger than andross'
          It's a law? In which country, if you don't mind my asking? What about breeders?
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

          Comment


          • #6
            In our town the pet tax is much higher for a pet that's intact.
            sigpicParents to Tucker, male Harlequin born 1-8-15, and Elli, female Blue born 5-11-14

            Comment


            • #7
              Neutering early will produce a taller more lankly looking dog. It is most evident in dogs neutered really early.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                The key word is MAY. If you neuter too early, they MAY end up with spindly tall legs and never looked filled out. The person that told you they waited to neuter made their dog bigger is wrong. The tall, lanky dogs MAY be from too early of a neuter. Neutering early MAY prevent the hormones from telling the growth plates to close and they end up being all leg as adults.

                Phineas is a hair shy of 40" at the withers, NOT a spindly legged dog that didn't fill out and he was neutered the day he turned 9 months old. For us, we felt it was necessary and we don't regret that decision even one bit. Lanky isn't word I'd use to describe Phineas.. at all. Beast is more like it.. LOL

                When it comes to deciding when to spay and neuter, there are a LOT of things that come into play. There is no 'one size fits all' time line. I would not neuter / spay prior to 9 months at bare minimum and my personal opinion is that 12 months is most ideal. You need to consider a lot of things like overall health, temperament and situations your dog may be in. I'd much rather someone neuter earlier then end up with a litter of oops puppies. There are health benefits and health risks either way.

                You just need to make the decision on when to do it with your vet. Do a lot of research and make an informed decision.

                Good luck!
                Last edited by Angel7292; 01-04-2016, 09:58 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                  It's a law? In which country, if you don't mind my asking? What about breeders?
                  The country of Las Vegas. Jk. But really in Clark County they made a law here stating all dogs or cats must be spayed or neutered by 4 months old. Think it's been stretched to 6 months now. But still backyard breeding off the charts and nothing is done.

                  Breeders can get licenses but it's bs. They license is less than 100 bucks a year.
                  sigpic Little boy!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                    ...When it comes to deciding when to spay and neuter, there are a LOT of things that come into play. There is no 'one size fits all' time line....You need to consider a lot of things like overall health, temperament and situations your dog may be in...
                    You just need to make the decision on when to do it with your vet. Do a lot of research and make an informed decision.
                    !
                    Can I get an AMEN
                    Warren Briggs, DVM
                    www.ocvh.com
                    www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by briggsdvm View Post
                      Can I get an AMEN
                      Dr. Briggs - any new thoughts/info/research on vasectomies for dogs? I seem to remember you mentioning something about it a way back.
                      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Mouse was neutered at 14 months. He's stocky and rather short at 34".

                        Waiting until after 2 years in order to get a more beefy muscular dane isn't realistic. Either the dog has the DNA for beef and muscle, or he doesn't. Neutering before a year MAY make the dog taller and leaner, but waiting and waiting for a dane to beef up before the neuter if the genes aren't there simply won't work.
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Both our guys were neutered at 10 months - our Vet was inclined to a 6 month neutering, but we said no. I actually got the advise from a breeder here on DOL that I deeply respect, and so went with that.
                          This is what they look like - and here's hoping it doesn't come out sideways
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                            Early spaying or neutering in large and giant breeds results in long legs, but they never fill out. Sex hormones are needed to tell the growth plates when to close, so without them the long bones grow for a longer period of time. So you might end up with a tall, spindly Dane if you neuter early. Early spay/neuter in large/giant breeds also increases risk of osteosarcoma and acl tears. Best to wait at least until most of the rapid growth is complete. Asaah was spayed at 2 . Finn will be done after a year, and probably more like 18-24 months.
                            This exactly is what my research has shown me. Also, in my personal history with Danes the ones who were neutered/spayed later lived longer. I hold off as long as possible--with Olaf I'm not sure how much longer that will be--not so much because of his annoying behaviors (I'm a big believer that training trumps whatever hormonal stuff the dog is prone to, if you're consistent and willing to do the work), but because his surging testosterone has made him the target of aggression from other dogs.
                            So my personal method is wait as long as possible. With some dogs that's longer than others. But you have to do the research, reading, and talk to other Dane owners yourself and make your own decisions based on what's best for your pup and your family
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Erin B. View Post
                              This exactly is what my research has shown me. Also, in my personal history with Danes the ones who were neutered/spayed later lived longer. I hold off as long as possible--with Olaf I'm not sure how much longer that will be--not so much because of his annoying behaviors (I'm a big believer that training trumps whatever hormonal stuff the dog is prone to, if you're consistent and willing to do the work), but because his surging testosterone has made him the target of aggression from other dogs.
                              So my personal method is wait as long as possible. With some dogs that's longer than others. But you have to do the research, reading, and talk to other Dane owners yourself and make your own decisions based on what's best for your pup and your family
                              I agree. Health-wise, it's best to wait until growth plates are closed. But there are definitely other things to consider. We haven't had any issues so far, so Finn is still intact, and I'm just waiting to find out when I can get some vacation time to get his neuter/pexy done.
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey
                              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X