3 Yr Old in Tact Question - Need Advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Yr Old in Tact Question - Need Advise

Hello - I am usually a board watcher and do not post very often. My daughters friend has a 3 yr old in tact male. They want to give him away and have offered him to us. We have a 4 yr old neutered male. Any suggestions on adding another to our family, neutering help, etc. thanks!!
    sigpic
    Coltrain AKA "The Crazy Train"
    4 months old

I wouldn't take in another male. The better choice is a male and female. Fights can occur between two of the same sex.

Comment

how about asking to have him over to visit and see how they do together? i wouldn't automatically assume they won't get together and dismiss the option, although Carol B certainly would have more experience in such matters than I.
      sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

We have discussed bringing him over to see how they do together. I wanted to get some feedback on that as well
        sigpic
        Coltrain AKA "The Crazy Train"
        4 months old

Comment

I have a neutered 4.5 year old male and an intact 2.5 year old male and as long as I keep an eye on them around high value items they're perfectly fine together. Although, they grew up together so it's not quite the same, but Riddle, the intact one, tries to play with other intact boys at shows all the time.
          Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
          Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I had a very bad experience with 2 males, one intact, one not.
            Obviously each and every dog is different, but my story ended VERY BADLY.
            I would be extra cautious...
            sigpic

Comment

I would have them meet in neutral grounds and see how they interact.

Comment

I think it definitely depends on the individual dogs. Some of my best show friends have households with 4+ males only in them. Our two males don't get on (Dane and terrier) but I could have expected that from the terrier as he can be funny around males.
                sigpic

Comment

I have two intacted males living together. Dane and Lab they get along perfectly. Toys no problem, food no problem. But they grew up together. Would be different if bringing them in later. Depends on temperament!

Comment

I have had 2 intact males living together for 8 years (3 years difference) (not danes), they where "good" for the most part, BUT, when my oldest dog became fragile with age, I had more issues with the aggression and jealousy form the younger one. The younger one became territorial over me. And at night I actually had to kennel the younger one, or baby gate him out of the room, where Senior and I was sleeping so he would not attack the Senior dog.
                    But for 7 years I did not have an issue. And my boys did not mind other boys at all!
                    Every pup is different, with attitude, aggression and temperament, just meet on UNCOMMON ground first, and when you introduce him to your house pick up all toys and stuff so everything is “equal”.
                    Positive thoughts heading your way on this adventure!
                    Last edited by jadeababy; 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM. Reason: clariffication

Comment

Working...
                    X