Feeling nervous!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling nervous!

We have Rosie, who is 12.5 months old, scheduled for ovary only spay and pexi for tomorrow
    She has not had a heat yet and the timing seems right but I still feel anxious; should I do the pexi? Should I wait for the 1st heat?
    Our first dane who was spayed and pexied at 6 months died of osteosarcoma at age 7, so i wanted to wait longer this time.

Any words of advice or encouragement?? Thanks

We've already spoken on the phone about this but I will relay my position here for others who may be reading.

If she were my personal dog, I would wait for a heat cycle and then do the spay/pexi removing both the ovaries and the uterus.

I do not think you would be wrong to spay/pexy now at 12.5 months.

I would be forever paranoid about pyometra if I left the uterus. Granted, the risk "may" be less if the ovaries are not present to initiate the hormonal process of heat cycles which soften and open the cervix to prepare for breeding. Regardless, it's not a risk I'd want to take.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

What's the benefit of leaving the uterus?

My girl had her ovaries and did not have a uterus and she died from osteosarcoma at age seven.
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
        What's the benefit of leaving the uterus?

My girl had her ovaries and did not have a uterus and she died from osteosarcoma at age seven.
        From what I've gathered from people electing to do the ovaries-only spay... it is supposed to be less invasive and quicker recovery. But if you're in there doing a traditional (vs laparoscopic) gastropexy anyways... then there's not much point. IMO
        *Jennifer*
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ngoldhabermd View Post
          We have Rosie, who is 12.5 months old, scheduled for ovary only spay and pexi for tomorrow
          She has not had a heat yet and the timing seems right but I still feel anxious; should I do the pexi? Should I wait for the 1st heat?
          Our first dane who was spayed and pexied at 6 months died of osteosarcoma at age 7, so i wanted to wait longer this time.

Any words of advice or encouragement?? Thanks
          She may have indeed already had her first heat which may have been unapparent to you (aka 'silent' heat). The vet will know once inside her if she's been in heat or not based on the vascular & fatty changes that a heat cycle brings. Not sure if it will be done with a scope or not but I would make the same choices for my own dog (ovariectomy and gastropexy).
          She'll do fine!-
          Warren Briggs, DVM
          www.ocvh.com
          www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

So as I wait for a female pup to come along I've got to ask, Dr. Briggs, why would you opt for just the ovary removal and not the uterus along with it at the time of spay? I realize that I won't be spaying anything for roughly 2 years (it is looking like the pup will come home in a year, then wait for her to mature to spay).

Are there any health benefits of leaving the uterus vs taking it out?
            sigpic

Comment

FWIW it's not likely that Rosie has had a heat yet because she comes from a breeder (not me) whose lines get their firsts at 13-14 months. I know of some lines that don't come in until 2 years... Wish I could be so luckily. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              *Jennifer*
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X