10 months tomorrow!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 months tomorrow!!!!

Rome turns 10 months tomorrow, so far he has been awesome still being in tact but i feel it is about time to neuter him. i had originally planned to wait as long as possible but after reading and seeing others opinions i have decided that anytime now is the best option. but i have a dilema.

i just started a new job BUT, romeo cant come to work with me until he is neutered so i need to do that soon. it is a daycare/pet resort and they dont allow intact dogs over 8 months old.

the only issue is that i want him to have a pexy at the same time but since i am just starting a new job and dont have a consistent income, i really cant afford both right now. (i know, im horrible but emergencies came up that i needed to use my savings on)

so here is my question, should i get rome neutered in the next couple of weeks, and then pexy him in the next few months-ish once i have the money readily available? or should i wait and do both, or any suggestions on getting money quick would be nice! lol. i dont wanna risk him possibly developing any weird behavior issues from not being neutered either...

ahhh. help! opinons appreciated
    sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

For a boy a neuter and a pexy are two separate surgeries--they can of course be done at the same time, but they are two different locations . Females are already opened up doing the spay. So I see no reason you can't wait unless there is some issue that putting him under is risky.
    Meg
    AeroDanes

Comment

hahah im aware they are two separate locations im more concerned about him being put under twice, not for a specific reason but just because i know going under at all is a risk in and of itself. i didnt know if that would be a bad thing to do or not. ive never had a dog need more than a neuter, lol.

but you think it would be alright to do the neuter now and then the pexy this summer?
      sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

Comment

Absolutely--like I said provided there aren't issue with going under it won't matter.
        Meg
        AeroDanes

Comment

okay heres another question, Romeo is seen by one of the 3 vets that work at the clinic i used to work at. The one that sees him has been awesome and i love her to death. The vet that owns the clinic has been a vet the longest and shes the one that has done every pexy in the past, so of course i was planning on her being the one to do his pexy eventhough he usually sees dr kara. kara has assisted and seen many pexies but she hasnt performed one completly. she offered to do Romes pexy for free becuase it would be her first time doing it. dr pam (who has done several pexies) would be right there to help her out should she need it. i trust kara, but thought i would get opinions. if i let her do it for free he would be able to get his pexy and neuter done at the same time. if i want pam to do it then i will have to wait a while.

would you allow a vet to do their first pexy on your dog? like i said, she has seen and helped but never done one on her own.

oh and they do them laproscopically.

Comment

I believe that I would jump at the chance. Just because she has never done this particular surgery with her own hands does not mean she isn't familiar with it. The surgical principles are the same for all the abdominal surgeries and if she has assisted then she really knows what to do. Especially if the senior vet will be on hand to help with anything tricky. Like I said, would jump at the chance!

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
            One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

Originally posted by samantha63 View Post
              ...like i said, she has seen and helped but never done one on her own. .
              Everyone has to start somewhere. And as the other poster said, surgical principles apply across a wide variety of procedures. It's very generous of them...go for it!
              Warren Briggs, DVM
              www.ocvh.com
              www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

I had Reich neutered at 10.5 months. It was about 2 weeks on the far side of what was needed. He is a good boy but his hormones were starting to get the better of him. I feel it was the perfect time. Reading your post about the furball... OMG, an intact 10 month old male... I think he did a good job, in retrospect.

I saw great improvements in Reich's attitude almost right away. Personally, I strongly suggest this is a good time to neuter.

Oh, I would wait to pexi.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
                ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
                <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

I agree with briggsdvm, we all have to start somewhere! Since the more experienced vet will be there to assist, I think you should go for it! Sounds like a winning deal for all!
                  sigpic
                  Crystal
                  Owned by:
                  Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                  CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                  Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                  Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

I would go for it.
                    When someone is doing a procedure for the first time, they are usually so careful about doing it that Rome will be in great care. I agree with briggsdvm, it's a win/win situation.
                    sigpic
                    My Crew
                    The Danes:
                    Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                    The Cats:
                    Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                    At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                    ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Wait, your not thinking of doing the pexy at 10 months of age though, right? He still has alot of growing to do. From everything i read its not really a good idea to do the pexy till around 2yrs or so. I may be wrong so maybe the more experienced will chime in here-please.
                      sigpic
                      Steeler

Comment

i was planning on doing his pexy this year if not at the same time as his neuter. i havent been told that i should wait until he is around 2 by anyone, my vet wants it done sooner than later.

Edit: i took him in to the clinic today and his neuter/(possible) pexy are scheduled for the 21st of this month. if Kara can for sure do the pexy at no charge he will have it done then, if not, we will have it done this summer.
                        Last edited by samantha63; 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM. Reason: forgot half my post!

Comment

I'm no expert but when I was asking questions to others on this site they said to wait because if the dog grows more than a couple inches after the pexy then it can possibly tear away from where it has been done. I only mention it cause I would hate for that to happen and I know Heidi has grown more than 2 inches easy since she was 10 months. Thats my sole purpose for waiting on getting Heidi fixed is because I also want her pexied at the same time.
                          sigpic
                          Steeler

Comment

OK I went back and found my old post it was under thread "Thoughts on Gastroplexy". In there Mrgretsch was saying if they grow more than about 4 inch there could be problems. Boy my memory sucks. Lol . Wasn't trying to give you false info-sorry. Just trying to keep everyone safe, My Bad
                            sigpic
                            Steeler

Comment

i called my vet to ask her about waiting due to the chance of it coming undone if he gets bigger. she said that yes that can happen, but not with the way they place the sutures. Romes pexy will be done laproscopically, and when they do the sutures they place them higher on the body wall, and also have two staples to be able to xray to make sure it is still intact.

Comment

Working...
                              X