Questions after spay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions after spay

Ok I just have a few questions since neither of these two things ever has happened with my other females that I have had in my life.
    I went and got Day-z yesterday from the vet. Here goes... In an hour period of time she proceeded to urinate in the house 4 times which she has not had an accident in over a month, and then I let her outside probably 6-8 times each time she had to go. Which she did most of the night until she fell asleep for the night. Now my other question is when I called the vet to set the appt I asked if the put stitches in which they said they did which to me brings my next question.. Well when I went to show my 3 yr old son that she had been spayed I lifted her leg a little and there are absolutely no stitches that the eye can see. I am sure there are some inside but what is holding the layer of skin together that I can see?
    Marie & day-z

RE: Questions after spay

You should be able to see stitches. I have never heard of a Vet spaying a female vaginally but maybe he did. If so, it would account for her having to urinate all the time.

Comment

When you look at her belly area it is shaved and you can see the incision but it looks like they used something like super glue?? I have a call into the vet but I have not heard from them yet.
      Have you ever heard of them using something like that on animals? I mean some type of glue to close the incision. I think I can remember a horse vet doing that out at the farm for a cut on a leg, but I have never heard of it on a dog for a spay incision.
      Marie & day-z

Comment

None of my Vets have ever done it that way but I'm sure you are correct in that it's glued shut.

Comment

When EZ was spayed, the stitches were clearly visible, not very many, but they were there and she had to have them removed about 7-10 days later. Now just last year, my son fell in my daughters room and landed on one of her trophies. He had a tremendous gash under his arm(one of those, OMG! Keep it together Mommy, for the kids, types of injuries)The hospital used a skin bonding agent. Since the gash was deep and straight, they decided that stiches would probably leave a scar(and how much fun would they have, holding a screaming 3 year old down to stitch him), where this bonding agent didn't. It went on just like glue and dried in a few seconds.It eventually dissolved in about a week and there was no evidence of any damage, except a little indentation, that has now returned to normal.Maybe this is what your vet used with your girl? I tell ya, it was a godsend not having to have him stitched.

Comment

On the sheet that my husband brought home on Day-z it clearly stated that "this animal has no sutures (sp)" I was kind of shocked but if it heals well I am not going to complain. I am a little nervous about the whole peeing thing she is doing.
            Marie & day-z

Comment

RE: STOP WORRYING!!!!

When any surgery is done, the approach is made in layers dissecting through each layer of tissue. In a spay there's a skin incision, then dissection through the subcutaneous fat, then the incision through the body wall, the linea alba. The spay was absolutely not done vaginally. Each of these layers is closed, sutured, independantly. There are three layers of sutures, one in the body wall, one in the fat and one in the skin. Many Vets are using a subdermal patern of absorbable suture UNDER the skin, so suture removal is not necessary, and no sutures are visible. When this is done the surface of the incision is closed with a type of skin adhesive called Skin Bond or Nexaband, this will flake off in a few days to a week.

Comment

Thank you Dr Gus and everyone else. This Board has really helped me out a lot!
                Marie & day-z

Comment

Wow, that's interesting ... and a new one on me. So I'd also like to say 'thanks' for having learned something new.

Comment

Working...
                  X