Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutering

hi everyone,
    its me again, i already wrote one post regarding what my veterinarian said. well here is another one! ! ! the vet said she would not neuter until 4 mmonths old, and it would cost me 100 is that normal?
    sarah

RE: neutering

Fairly average, and that's still early. The size of a dane even at that age will put them in the higher price range for surgeries.

sandy
    http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Hi,
      Not sure about the price, but dogs and cats can be spay/neutered as early as 8 weeks. The link below is for more reading if you'd like.

Paul

http://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htm

Comment

hello,
        well you see thats why im asking, becasue i had read that article, and it totally conflicts with what the vets had said. they said they dont "fell comfortable" with neutering that early. becsue i wanted him neutered at ten weeks. becaus ei figured with my paychecques, and all the finances, that when i would most likely be able to afford it, i can save it till four months, so i guess its not that big of a deal, money wise that is. that why i was wondering though, and i have read other posts stating that it is okay to neuter early, and its best to do it before sexual maturity. well thanks for hte posts
        sarah
        ps. paul, im sorry about the french translation, my teacher said that she could not put it into words that would realy be cultrally correct, im really really sorry, i feel awful about that ! ! ! im really really sorry once again
        sarah

Comment

You could check with any local spay/neuter clinics, since it's their specialty they might be more amenable to doing it. If the puppy is being cropped, ask the vet that is cropping their opinion, some *might* consider doing both at once.

Alot of private practice vets follow the old belief of spay/neuters at 6 mos or older. Unless he is already being cropped and that vet does it, by doing him at 10 wks you are adding an or another operation to a little baby. Not much point to that when you can wait til he has a stronger immune system, all his vaccinations and bonded to you?

JMO
          sandy

Comment

hello,
            no, we arent getting his ears cropped. i talked to my breeder about it, and since i knew nuthing about cropping, she explained to that it was a big responsability becasue for about 3 months you have to be a constantly watching the little guy so his taping thing does not fall down. and i would just rather have his ears down.

so he is only going to have one operation, it just depends on when! ! !
            sarah

Comment

Spay/neuter surgeries are priced by weight. Because more materials are used on larger dogs, they are more expensive.
              $75-150 is a typical range for a dane neuter
              $100-250 is a typical range for a dane spay.
              naturally it's more at 8 mo. then than 4 mo.; more at 4 mo. than at 2 mo. but many vets *do* feel that around 1/2 the adult projected weight is as early as they want to spay/neuter--that's usually between 4-5 mo. for a Dane. so maybe that's where they came up with that minimum age?

just FYI almost all things "vet" cost more with a dane due to their enormous size. a good rule of thumb for everything from heartworm to antibiotics is to double the average costs (for a med-large dog). hope that helps.

Comment

hi jpy,

yeah it does help. but if vets dont do it till they are half the adult weight, than why will spay/neuter clinics neuter as early as 8 weeks, for males/females, for only ten dollars. the reason i ask is becuase i got on the net, and went auburn spay/neuter on google, and it came up to some animal coalition that suggested them for spaying/neutering.

i thought that sounded great, because i want my dog spayed at 9-10 weeks. and from the articles i have read from experiements done in colleges/research facilities where they took something like 11 pairs or kittens, and 11 pairs of pups, and for each pair, one pup was neutered at 9 weeks, and at 6 months for the other. there was no signifigant difference. the risk was the same for both situations, and in fac6t, it said that the younger neutering that took place, the dog recovered faster, pain wise, and it did not hurt as bad.

plus, the one at the clinic is only ten dollars, whereas the vet is $100. i mean does the clinic provide less quality care? or is the vet just charging a heck of a lot more! ! !
                thanks
                sarah

Comment

I brought up that issue of spaying at 8 weeks with my vet, who said that he doesn't feel that's a good idea. Guess it could also be the issue of how they react to general anesthesia? One nice thing about neutering young - some never learn to lift their legs!:7
                  My best boy, Trooper.
                  sigpic

Comment

> yeah it does help. but if vets dont do it till they are
                    >half the adult weight, than why will spay/neuter clinics
                    >neuter as early as 8 weeks, for males/females, for only ten
                    >dollars.

spay clinics provide the service at an early age to help prevent pet overpopulation. they run at cost or lower to try and help the community. They are generally set up as a bare bones operation - no frills - no unusual cases/situations. They are a marvelous resource for pet owners and help prevent alot of unwanted animals.

>i thought that sounded great, because i want my dog spayed
                    >at 9-10 weeks.

I still don't understand why other than to avoid cost you want the dog neutered at 10wks, but I would double check with the clinic because that price might only be offered to certain people that qualify for it.

and from the articles i have read from
                    >experiements done in colleges/research facilities where they
                    >took something like 11 pairs or kittens, and 11 pairs of
                    >pups, and for each pair, one pup was neutered at 9 weeks,
                    >and at 6 months for the other. there was no signifigant
                    >difference.

no significant difference between one set of study animals does not mean that it is the same quality of procedure or same risk factors for the dogs - especially as you did not mention what sort of dogs these were and if they were great danes?

>
                    >plus, the one at the clinic is only ten dollars, whereas the
                    >vet is $100. i mean does the clinic provide less quality
                    >care? or is the vet just charging a heck of a lot more! ! !

Why don't you ask the vet to explain their cost structure, IMO you get what you pay for.

sandy

Comment

We had our male rescue neutered when we got him at 3 years. Our regular vet wanted over $200 - for a neuter!!! (Well the dog was about 175 pounds) I couldn't afford that quick enough, so we had him fixed at the local humane society. Total cost including the e-collar - $105 + $16 for all his vaccintions! (Our vet charges $56 for a full set of shots) When his sack area stitches started bleeding, they said bring him in if necessary - no charge. We choose to wait and it stopped. Ten days later it was back for the stiches removal - no charge. The humane society does eary spay neuters on adopted pets, so I assume they would do it with others. Many of the vets are volunteering their time, so please give a little extra, whether it's dog-food or cash. I know how hard vets work for their money. One of my best friends is in her first year out of vet school. She has debts and more debts.

Comment

hello sandy,

ohhh, okay, so a lot of the people that go to the apsy neuter clinics are refered to them? i know i was. i called the vet and asked again why it costs so much, and she said that was literally how much it costs for the surgery/wages for the concerned vet. my parents would like my dog neutered young. i dont know their reasoning, but my reason is that i want it over and done with. i would rather have it done when he is young, than have him do it older, because when they are older, quite a few sites i have read, and magazine articles all say that the dogs recover faster when they are young, and it does not hurt as bad. my parents just want the dog neutered. i dont want to wait until sexual maturity, like one vet said, because i dont want what comes with maturity, the roaming, the dog on dog aggression, and the other stuff that accompanies it. anyway, we could wait until he is older, but i dont see why it is bad to do it young either. we just might wait until he is older ! ! ! ehehehe ! ! we just have to figure it out real soon about what we are going to do ! ! anyway thanks for your replies, and everything! ! !

Comment

4 - 6 months is certainly considered a young dog. 4 mo = 12 wks - a baby. Danes are a slow breed to mature and IMO there is no harm in waiting until the dog is fully vaccinated and settled in it's new environment before going to a full service vet clinic and getting it done. It is a simple procedure, he'll probably go home that day and likely won't recognize it was done the day after.

sandy

Comment

Working...
                          X