Spaying and Aggression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaying and Aggression

Does spaying a dog help to curb aggression? I figured it wouldn't, as testosterone seems to be the hormone responsible. Obviously females make testosterone, but where is it made? What effects does it have on dominance issues? Any info is greatly appreciated as usual.

RE: Spaying and Aggression

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-01 AT 07:36PM (PST)[/font][p]Neutering helps curb dog-to-dog aggression in males as that is directly related to hign-levels of testosterone. It also helps curb micturation (marking) & roaming for the same reasons. But only in about 50% of cases where the behaviour is established & the dog (male) mature. Presumably because the behaviours get fixed and "hardwired" over time. Bitch aggression is a whole'nother topic. There are some very weird things going on on this subject anyway. Normal males will NOT attack bitches in the first place. They have a chemical inhibitor apparently against it (which makes total sense if you think about it, mating, the tie, etc.). So male to female fights just general don't happen. (And that's why BITCHES<G>I think has become an appelation for obnoxious human females. If you've ever seen the way bitches (females) treat dogs (males) and get away with it....but I digress.). Anyway, bitches have a canine-given right to harass males; anyone who's watched dogs for any time has noticed<G>that! ROFL! Male to male fighting is RAMPANT. And males often hope you'll break it up. They'll fight over d*mn near anything & they'll huff, and they'll puff...and hope you'll stop them often. Bitches...well bitch fights are all too often to the death. Thank goodness they are so seldom seen.

I have this personal theory about all this related to evolutionary pressures. Dogs (males) have gotta go out and defend the terrritory, young ones are expendable, they all have to fight for mates, to keep their place, etc. So they are "ready" for a fight & hope it will be symbolic (Growling and fur flying but not blood and gore.) Bitches save their energy to fight over core issues...the brood (litter), the survival of the pack, who gets to breed the next generation (by suppressing other females especially & also selecting likely males). So when they fight, it's really serious. Now I'm totally off topic, but the answer is still here;

You cannot affect the fighting traits of bitches by spaying. But you CAN affect the fighting traits of males by neutering. Maybe that helps. Hope so.

But there is also the situation of immature pack members, which is really *your* problem as you described it? You have a young male refusing to accept the discipline and guidance of an adult female. That's another whole horse of a different color to me.

Comment

Thanks jpy. I have the same understanding as you. I really do think we're having a "teenager problem", and our bitch is definitetly...a bitch. Boo has not hit puberty yet, so maybe when that kicks in he'll start having more respect for the female. Two days ago it got to the point where I thought "we're getting rid of this dog", but than I did something I've never thought I'd have to do. I bought a muzzle. We're buying another one this morning for Boo.

Comment

is there a reason you could not neuter the dog? The risk will be that at Puberty he might start to appreciate girls, but he'll also increase any dog aggressive tendencies. That he's already up for a fight now... with more hormones and size hard to say he will reform completely.

sandy
        http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Working...
        X