This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Senior Moments" Contest and discussion

Are you an owner of a senior dane? Or have you owned a dane that lived into their twilight years and is now at the rainbow bridge? If so, we want to hear your stories of your older companion. We invite you to participate in the DOL "Senior Moments" contest.

For the Senior Moments contest, participants will share their senior's photo along with a story about their dane on this thread. Story must be at least 250 words. The subject of your story must be 9 years of age or older. Please make sure to note the dane's age somewhere in your story.

The contest submissions will run from February 1 till February 14 at 11:59 PM EST. Voting will start February 15th with the winner being announced on February 21. Winners will be chosen by voting poll by the DOL membership.

The winner of the contest will receive one of Louise Peterson's marble statues "Senior Moment" in your choice of natural or cropped ears.

As with the 52 project, there will be no self promotion permitted on the forums or on the DOL Facebook page. Please make sure to turn off all signatures on submissions.

Let's hear your stories!
    Last edited by dolmod; 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM.
    sigpic
    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

I wish we could participate but Kaiser is only 8. I can't wait to read all these stories. I have a huge soft spot for seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Zagari View Post
      I wish we could participate but Kaiser is only 8. I can't wait to read all these stories. I have a huge soft spot for seniors.
      Ditto! I'm so excited to read all about the seniors, and I'd love to participate, but we honestly don't know how old Lunar is. Though the shelter guessed 10, neither my vet nor I believe he is that old, and his teeth are just too damaged to get a more accurate guess.

Maybe we can just post stories, but not be included in the voting?
      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
      - Anatole France

Comment

Charlene...

that was beautiful...
        Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Maybe we can just post stories, but not be included in the voting?
          You're more than welcome to post your stories, I can make another thread, but the submission thread should be exclusive to contest entries.
          sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.
          Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Gaahh! You guys have got me crying like a little baby over here reading your stories.

Comment

There needs to be a disclaimer in the first post of that submission thread to have some tissue near by - sheesh! Such beautiful and touching submissions already!
              My family:
              4 Dogs: Lola (Dane), Delilah (Dane), Howie (Beagle), and Scout (Beagle)
              2 Ferrets: Saleen and Harley
              2 Chinchillas: Keeta and Max
              3 Cats: Otis, Oscar, and Murray
              1 Husband

Comment

OMG...How in the h*ll are we supposed to vote on those submissions?!? They're all so beautiful and so full of love, how to choose?

I just don't know if I'll be able to vote...
                Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

i have been waiting for thor's and freja's story. i often tell ashley about thor and freja and what a long, happy life they both had and she should strive to live just as long!
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

I was not going to write it. It was just so hard. If only people could loves each other likes those two did. Their was a pure love. I cried the whole time I was writing it. I just hope all can lived as long of a life that they did.

Comment

All I have to say is I was reduced to tearful mess reading all those stories...Charlene, I cried my eyes out reading your story.I also got in a few laughs, in particular about knowing Gary and why the heart is on Ashley's butt! I dread the day I will have to experience losing one of my own,and because of this try to celebrate each year they are here with me that much more. People often ask why I would want to have a dog that lives such a short life...I explain to them they would have to be loved by one to understand..it is not something that can be explained in words. Beautiful and touching stories...every one of them.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                      Milly-Harl GD,
                      Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                      www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

I love everyone's stories....totally bawled my eyes out for Freja and Thor though, I miss them and I never met them!
                        sigpic

*bethany*
                        Nova - 3 yr old Great Dane
                        Pepper - 9 yr old Chihuahua
                        Mable - 4 yr old Great Dane Rescue

Comment

There is still time left to enter the "Senior Moments" contest. Don't forget to read the touching stories on the submission thread, and bring a tissue.
                          sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

one tissue just will not cut it! so touching, and had to be so difficult to write... thanks to everyone for sharing such beautiful moments.. my husband is now looking at me like i have lost it, as i sit here with tears streaming down my face..
                            sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Today is the last day to enter the "Senior Moments" contest.
                              sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

Working...
                              X