No announcement yet.

Ready for another rescue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know of a few rescues that network and have someone from a fellow organization do hoke checks. My mom has performed several in her town, and I'm pretty sure Shark's breeder does them around here since we are 5 hours from the nearest Dane rescue. I even have a friend from a doxie rescue that does them in our general area for several rescues. Seems like that is something a rescue group would WANT to do, or be able to do.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

When I was handling the "adoption flow" for the local rescue, the home check was ALWAYS what would hold up the adoption, and we were only two states. Sometimes the adopters would wait weeks while we put out calls for help to all our networking contacts.

Now, with Google maps, and Zillow, and face time and skype, there's no reason for an in-person home visit. I mean, people run huge companies using technology to "meet", I think pet rescue could probably adjust. Tell THAT to long-term, firmly entrenched (that how we've ALWAYS done it!) rescue people, though...
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Oh wow I did not even think of skype and Zillow. They could literally see everything in and around our home bc we just bought it and it's still listed on Zillow !

That's so awesome you guys went out of your way to do home checks, there are still good people in this world!!

Well we got some good news at 11:30 last night.

There is a rescue girl in AZ and if we go down there Saturday we can adopt her!!!!!!!!! I'll attach a pic, I'm already in love. She lives with 3-4 other dogs already which is perfect for us! They foster horn said she just needs a bit of help learning her strength and manners. I think we can tackle that!
        I'm so excited !!
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Rest in paradise, you will forever be missed
        Our angel Bonnie!! 2007-11/29/15
        Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

Aw, that's so great!!! Name? Age?
          sigpic
          Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
            Aha - yes I was going to recommend Indian Dane Rescue. Rene is great, we've met him twice and referred people to him.

And honestly, in this day and age, you would think maybe a copy of a utility bill and Zillow would do the trick, at least in part. You can see the size of the house, specs etc. Maybe not fencing, but a FaceTime call would remedy that. Plus a few good reference letters or something. There has to be an easier way. Or let's say you get "approved" by a more local rescue - couldn't they network with one another - so other rescues know the person passed the home check?

Back in "the very old days" when I first joined DOL, rescues would post online asking dedicated DOLers to sign up for helping with home checks too. I did a home check once about 30 minutes from me for a rescue that was a bit far out. Good luck to you - fingers crossed!!!

Oh yes LOVE LOVE LOVE Rene! That man helped us so much with Bonnie, if we needed help or advice he would always pick up the phone and give us advice!

Crazy how things have changed! It prob wouldn't be so strict if there weren't so many sh**y people.not treating them right or Giving their dogs away for such terrible reasons.....
            sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 21softballstar View Post
              Aw, that's so great!!! Name? Age?
              Do not know age other than "young" or much else for that matter....
              Her name is Shrimp lol. I asked if the fosters could call us to talk more about her and know a bit more so we'll see, if not we're still driving down Saturday to meet her anyways! The rescues is partnered with petsmart so that's where she'll be.
              sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

So the fosters spoke with the owners of the rescue and We are meeting the fosters at a vet with Shrimp on Saturday to get their opinion. She has a possible ulcer on her eyelid so we will get their recommendation on how to proceed. Of course we will take her to our vet here too. Omg I'm so excited.
                sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

Originally posted by Mnn89 View Post
                  Omg I'm so excited.
                  I would be too!
                  sigpic
                  Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by Mnn89 View Post
                    So the fosters spoke with the owners of the rescue and We are meeting the fosters at a vet with Shrimp on Saturday to get their opinion. She has a possible ulcer on her eyelid so we will get their recommendation on how to proceed. Of course we will take her to our vet here too. Omg I'm so excited.
                    This is very exciting! Keep us updated. She looks lovely.
                    sigpic
                    “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Fingers crossed for you! Good luck!
                      sigpicLisa
                      Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Thank you everyone I will definitely keep you updated!
                        The more my hubby and I talk about it the more sense it makes. She is already spayed but if the eye does need surgery it may be a blessing in disguise. No matter what Dane we adopt we will get their stomach tacked. After watching Bonnie go through GDV and going through recovery it is not an option. so if miss "shrimp" needs surgery we'll try and do both at the same time. I'm very excited to meet her, a bit anticipatory about her meeting the rest of our pack, but I know with time and proper introduction they will get along great!

Sorry for rambling, we are keeping this a secret from our friends and family until adoption is complete. Ekkkkkkk!!!
                        sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

And it's OFFICAL!!!!
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

So excited for you!! Do you bring her home now?
                            sigpic
                            Willow and Liv

Comment

What a cutie, congrats! Are you going to keep the name Shrimp? I hope you do
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey
                              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thank you!!!

Yes we are the 5 hour trip home :-)

Yes we keeping her name I think we might add a y so Shrimpy.

They said was found at sheets covered in mange and underweight. Mange is gone and we're going to transision her on some good puppyfood she's only 9 months. She had been eating purina dog chow :-/

We're so excited for this new baby!!
                                sigpic

Shrimp 2/6/2016

Comment

Working...
                                X