Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Needs Foster

Hi all,

So, a friend of mine has come upon a blind Dane female who is a year and a half, and was tossed into shelter because her owner said she was 'too much to handle.' She immediately asked me to foster since she knows I've always wanted to do it, but I am so, so nervous. On one hand, I know that I am fully capable of loving and caring for this girl, but on the other hand, I'm really concerned about a) how my boy will handle being around a possibly intact female, b) how my boy will be around a blind Dane, and c) all the implications that come with having a blind Dane.

I know that if I decided to pursue this further, Apollo would ultimately make the decision for me at the meet-up.. But I'm so nervous. I never imagined my first opportunity to foster would be a blind Dane!

I will have more details soon, but all I know now is that she's not in good shape; very far under weight, terrified, and dirty. It's breaking my heart know she's in this condition.. I'm so torn! What do you guys think? This was all so sudden!

I already have a second crate, plenty of room in my home and yard (although, I would need to adjust everything to be safe for this girl), and am financially ready for a new addition, but the possible medical bills scare me.. Sigh. I don't know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- Katelyn

sigpic
    Apollo

It sounds like you're in a fairly good position to welcome a foster into your home! Are you fostering for a Dane rescue group? If so, would any medical bills actually be on you or would the rescue group foot the bill? (I've never fostered an animal personally, but my sister fosters cats and that's the way that vet bills work with their organization.)
    sigpic
    “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

If you are just fostering her, then the group that she belongs to would cover her medical bills.

What happened to that dog that you found and were keeping?
      sigpic

Comment

That makes me feel much better.. I am looking into getting in contact with Indian Great Dane Rescue to see if they have a foster program that I can work with. I've done some research, and they seem to be a good reputable rescue.

Angel, after she succeeded in destroying my house, we ended up finding her owner. Unfortunately, she was being bred in a BYB program, so I contacted a local rescue group and asked them about the owners. Long story short, the owners turned out to be a big problem out here, and the rescue group recommended I return the dog to the owners (seeing as she actually had a litter waiting for her), and let them handle the situation further. I returned the poor girl (reluctantly, and after giving the owner a good piece of my mind), and ended up seeing the poor girl dead on the side of the road about a week or so later.. She had been hit by a car and from her shoulders back was completely crushed.. It seemed like it had just happened consideringthebcondition of her body.. I contacted the rescue group again and they said they are in the process of getting the 'breeder' shut down, but I've never felt so devastated.. I've been so heartbroken.. It's hard for me to even talk about, which is why I haven't posted a follow-up on the situation.. It's so horrible.. I wish I would've gone with my gut and never returned her. I'd have her rip up my carpet ten times over if she could just still be here.
        -- Katelyn

sigpic
        Apollo

Comment

How awful. I'm so sorry you had to go though that.
          sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by KatieRae View Post
            That makes me feel much better.. I am looking into getting in contact with Indian Great Dane Rescue to see if they have a foster program that I can work with. I've done some research, and they seem to be a good reputable rescue.

Angel, after she succeeded in destroying my house, we ended up finding her owner. Unfortunately, she was being bred in a BYB program, so I contacted a local rescue group and asked them about the owners. Long story short, the owners turned out to be a big problem out here, and the rescue group recommended I return the dog to the owners (seeing as she actually had a litter waiting for her), and let them handle the situation further. I returned the poor girl (reluctantly, and after giving the owner a good piece of my mind), and ended up seeing the poor girl dead on the side of the road about a week or so later.. She had been hit by a car and from her shoulders back was completely crushed.. It seemed like it had just happened consideringthebcondition of her body.. I contacted the rescue group again and they said they are in the process of getting the 'breeder' shut down, but I've never felt so devastated.. I've been so heartbroken.. It's hard for me to even talk about, which is why I haven't posted a follow-up on the situation.. It's so horrible.. I wish I would've gone with my gut and never returned her. I'd have her rip up my carpet ten times over if she could just still be here.
            I'm so sorry! That is heartbreaking.
            sigpic
            “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Working...
            X