Zeus - 1st Foster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeus - 1st Foster

I'd like to introduce Zeus. A 2.5 yrs old black neutered purebred Great Dane. He's 36 inches tall, 165 lbs. He's overweight. I found a picture of him (taken 9 months ago) when he weighed 140 lbs and looked great.

We're a foster family for the Forever Friends Great Dane Rescue. Zeus is our first foster. We picked him up three days ago.

He is a gentleman, very calm dog. He will not climb onto furnitures without permission. He adores my 9 & 11 yrs old daughters. He knows the basic commands but, he does have a tendency not to want to sit for us. I highly suspect it is due to being overweight. He appears to be uncomfortable when he sits on command.

He appears to be a european Great Dane. He only drools during meal, heavy drinking and nervousness. He hasn't been nervous after the first day so, it's a nice surprise that we don't have to carry the wet cloth with us. Just a quick wipe after the meals.

When we picked him up, we received the Nutro dog food. After doing a quick research, I thought "BLEEEH!, I'm putting him on TOTW effective now!" Luckily, Zeus accepted this new food change. Although my pet (Gilligan) is on raw meat, the rescue does not want any foster dog to be on raw meat diet.

Scheduled for vet appt on January 2nd. I'm curious of what she'd might say about Zeus' paws. I'm concerned that his feet are splayed, not tight.

I keep getting strong impression that he'd be perfect for a family whose child has some type of physical/medical attention. Perhaps autism, cancer or disabled. Zeus is extremely calm and loves to be next to any of us. He's also perfectly content in being himself, as long as he can see his family and their activities.

He has a history of getting along with other dogs and is both tolerant and playful of my almost 8 months old Gilligan. Because of Gilligan's willing submissiveness, Zeus doesn't have much interest in being the Alpha. Yet, he's not a submissive dog either. Zeus is much like a middle child in the family. I have no idea if he likes cats or not. However, he does chase wild rabbits out of my backyard, which pleases me.

He has NOT done any damage to the house but, he loves his chews (i.e. bully stick, antler, etc). He likes to hold my children's stuffed animals, only with permission.

I tested Zeus in the kitchen. He doesn't come in without my permission. So far, he does not counter-surf however, he does sniff and occasionally puts his chin on the counter. That said, he'd back off when told to back away from the counter. He's "helpful" whenever I or my children searched for ingredients. With permission, he drinks water from the kitchen faucet. With command, he leaves the kitchen without any argument. In spite of his well-behaved manners in the kitchen, he can not be trusted with the stove on so he has to stay out of the kitchen.

I'm impressed that he walks along side me (w/o leash) in my big backyard. If he veers off when I zig/zags, he comes back to my side within a few seconds.

He will soon be available for adoption. I firmly believe he'd be a great dog for family with some type of disabled or sick child.

Debbie
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Debbie F; 12-31-2013, 01:25 PM.
    Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
    "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

What a great looking boy!! And Sounds like he has some good doggy manners. Hope he finds a wonderful home!!
    Linda and Rocky
    sigpic
    Jesse 1998-2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
    Harley 1998-2002
    Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Sounds like you are describing my Zeus who lives with my girls at their dads. Aww such a sweetie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
      sigpic
      Paula
      Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
      Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Zeus, I just love that name! Sounds like a great dog to be blessed with.
        sigpic
        Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

I hope his forever family turns up soon!

Do you know the circumstances that led to him being sent to rescue?
          sigpic
          Beth, with...
          Daisy the Chihuahua mix
          Ranger the Heeler mix
          Sarge the Great Dane
          Bravo the Mastiff mix

And two cats, two ferrets, one husband, and four kids.

Comment

Originally posted by themamabeth View Post
            Zeus was surrendered by a man who took him in to keep him from ending up at a shelter after his family gave him up.
            sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Originally posted by themamabeth View Post
              I hope his forever family turns up soon!

Originally posted by zoocrew View Post
              Zeus was surrendered by a man who took him in to keep him from ending up at a shelter after his family gave him up.
              ZooCrew's statement is accurate (thank you, Zoo). What she may or may not know is that we're at least Zeus' 5th family (2nd foster). With the exception of the last owner ZooCrew mentioned, it was very unfortunate for Zeus to have these irresponsible "forever" owners who dumped him for stupid reasons. Nothing to do with Zeus' doggy manners or personality.

I will say this---if I ever find out the next "forever" owner planning to dump Zeus, I will take him back and adopt him!

Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie F View Post
                ZooCrew's statement is accurate (thank you, Zoo). What she may or may not know is that we're at least Zeus' 5th family (2nd foster). With the exception of the last owner ZooCrew mentioned, it was very unfortunate for Zeus to have these irresponsible "forever" owners who dumped him for stupid reasons. Nothing to do with Zeus' doggy manners or personality.

I will say this---if I ever find out the next "forever" owner planning to dump Zeus, I will take him back and adopt him!

Debbie
                Poor guy. I just can't imagine.

I just found out that there is a rescue in Phoenix that adopts to families with kids. Obviously now is not the time, with a current puppy Dane and a new baby making her debut any day now, but I'm exited that we have the chance in the future to work with them. I've already made contact so I can get to know the people who run it and my husband is already on board with an eventual rescue. I've been reading every adoption/rescue/foster thread to soak up as much info as I can.
                sigpic
                Beth, with...
                Daisy the Chihuahua mix
                Ranger the Heeler mix
                Sarge the Great Dane
                Bravo the Mastiff mix

And two cats, two ferrets, one husband, and four kids.

Comment

Zeus is such a sweetheart. This dog is a nice and well behaved dog. He is not only calm and handsome, he is also a quiet dog. He is also quite silly, too. With all of this information I’ve gathered in such a short time, it’s so far beyond me why people have dumped him and surrendered him. He’s only 2.5 years old. Knowing all he went through, we are at least the fifth place he’s been to. When he was a stray, he wasn’t even neutered! If his new home dumps him, and word gets out, we are going to adopt him.

I still can’t wrap my mind around how much he’s been through. It’s heartbreaking.

Brianna
                  John 3:16
                  "For God so loved the world in this way, that He gave his One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

Holman Christian Standard Bible

I love Jesus, do you?

Comment

Today is day 11 and Zeus will be leaving us to his forever home in a couple of days.

He is such a gentleman. Never a problem to us. Great buddy to our Gilligan.

It will be a bittersweet day for us.....

Debbie

Comment

congratulations on your forever home Zeus!

Comment

Working...
                      X