This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet 8 1/2-year-old in rescue

I transported this senior lady last week. She is so sweet! She just wants a soft place to sleep and humans to love. A little arthritis that is treated with Rimadyl is all the vet found with her. Her nails were 2 inches long! Poor thing probably walks better with them trimmed. She had a long ride (for an old arthritic dog) so she was a little uncomfortable by the time she got to my leg. She saw the dog beds in the back of my car and got excited. It was so cute. You could see her perk up as soon as she say them. Her owners had to move into an apartment and couldn't keep her there.

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Gre...ebred-21347371
    Julie
    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
    sigpic

This is the rescue I am thinking about getting another dane from. Its too bad I will not be ready to add another until next summer or fall. Poor old girl. Did her family have her since puppyhood?
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Yep, they'd had her for her whole life.
      Julie
      Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
      RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
      sigpic

Comment

oh, that's too bad. I feel bad for them. Im glad they brought her to a rescue though, shows they really cared about her a lot. I hope she gets a nice new home to live out the rest of her life.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
        Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

They had her on Craigslist but one of our volunteers contacted them and they surrendered her instead.
          Julie
          sigpic

Comment

I am awaitng approval and

I will certainly consider her. She is so sweet and just what we need.

I went to the UMWGDR Fund Raiser at Chanhassen today. Met the very nice woman who is fosters Dutchess.

I hope I get approved soon. I need a Dane that belongs here! We need a senior!
            Last edited by merrymeadow; 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I am awaitng approval and

I went to the UMWGDR Fund Raiser at Chanhassen today. Met the woan who is foster Dutchess.

I hope I get approved soon. I need a Dane that belongs here!

Comment

Originally posted by merrymeadow View Post

I went to the UMWGDR Fund Raiser at Chanhassen today. Met the woan who is foster Dutchess.

coming from someone whose first dane was a senior girl, i can tell you that you would 100% fall head over heals in love with this girl!!!!! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

I hope you or someone on the board adopts her. The description of her temperament reminds me so much of my Logan that it brings tears to my eyes.
                  "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                  sigpic
                  Rocky & Emma
                  Follow our adventures at
                  www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I was there! I know the lady who is fostering Duchess and have met her at events. She's a sweet girl too.
                    Julie
                    sigpic

Comment

my next rescue will definitely be a senior. there is just something SO lovable about them!
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Charizma was the "victim" of foster failure and has been adopted.
                        Julie
                        sigpic

Comment

For the best!

If foster fail means the foster fell in love with the dog and decided to adopt this dog I think it is wonderful. I worried so much about how deeply she seemed to have bonded with her foster and at her age was afraid it was not kind to rehome her. So if this is the case i am very happy for this very sweet girl. The foster family really seemed to care for her.

But, my heart is broken, because she was just the dog we wanted to love too.

Oh well, I am watching the older dogs disappear off the list and have sort of given up hope that one will come my way. I have heard nothing about the home visit so perhaps they don't think I am suitable. It seems the dogs in this rescue sit in the foster homes a long time. I have been looking at them for over a month and none of them have moved to a home. Then the lists of possible adoptees were sent out and two dogs are gone. I understand there are differnt people who go through assigned lists and if one is proactive then all the dogs can be gone and if another is less timely then whoever is on that list is out of the picture. I don't really know if this true. But I am getting sort of down about anything happening. My husband says to buck up and wait it out. He is right. But I am getting pretty discouraged. There just isn't any communication re aceptance or anything. Excuse typos, I am tired tonight.
                          Last edited by merrymeadow; 12-24-2013, 11:16 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

If foster fail means the foster fell in love with the dog and decided to adopt this dog I think it is wonderful. I worried so much about how deeply she seemed to have bonded with her foster and at her age was afraid it was not kind to rehome her. So if this is the case i am very happy for this very sweet girl. The foster family really seemed to care for her.

But, my heart is broken, because she was just the dog we wanted to love too.

Oh well, I am watching the older dogs disappear off the list and have sort of given up hope that one will come my way. I have heard nothing about the home visit so perhaps they don't think I am suitable. It seems the dogs in this rescue sit in the foster homes a long time. I have been looking at them for over a month and none of them have moved to a home. Then the lists of possible adoptees were sent out and two dogs are gone. I understand there are differnt people who go through assigned lists and if one is proactive then all the dogs can be gone and if another is less timely then whoever is on that list is out of the picture. I don't really know if this true. But I am getting sort of down about anything happening. My husband says to buck up and wait it out. He is right. But I am getting pretty discouraged. There just isn't any communication re aceptance or anything. Excuse typos, I am tired tonight.
                            The first time I adopted from rescue it took two months for me to get approved, and another month before we found a match with Logan. This was in the spring, Not during the busy holiday season. Please be patient, and follow-up after the holidays. The rescues are run entirely by volunteers, and I do know that many of them discontinue adoptions during the holiday season as it is not the optimal time to add a new dog to a family (too chaotic & stressful).
                            I got very frustrated and a little bit depressed as well. I saw Dane after Dane that I was just sure was perfect for my family and instead they were selected for another family. In the end you just have to trust that the rescue knows what's right for each individual dog. And truly in the end I ended up with the most perfect dog for my family - when we met for the first time it was like magic!
                            If you are on Instagram, you might check there also is there are quite a few rescues listed there and a few that will transport across state lines.
                            Last edited by thisiscyndi; 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM.
                            "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                            sigpic
                            Rocky & Emma
                            Follow our adventures at
                            www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

instagram

LOL. I don't have an android phone, i pad or any of that stuff. Just a laptop, so it would appear I can't get the app. I am sooo behind the times. But my lifestyle just doesn't require it.

Comment

Working...
                              X