5 year old returned to our shelter for aggression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 year old returned to our shelter for aggression

This Dane was adopted out in '08 and returned to us yesterday. I wasn't there when they brought him back so all of my info is secondhand. Apparently the dog has been aggressive with a few people over the last month but actually bit a kid (not sure how old) unprovoked, while the kid was sitting on the floor playing xbox. It was a friend of one of the family's kids, so not immediate family to the dog. He seems to be fine with the immediate family. I took him out and walked him and he seems VERY unsure of himself, although that could just be being at the shelter for a day. He continually looked to me for reassurance while we walked around the lawn and a slew of dogs were barking at us from their runs. I wish I could walk him somewhere quieter but it just isn't feasible at the moment. He did relax enough to pee a gallon though. I don't think he's had diddly squat for socialization. His nails are horrendously long, and he has a slightly "off" look to his hips. We probably won't do much health testing on this dog to see if that's what's causing his crankiness. We aren't really that kind of shelter. We don't have a behavourist on staff or anything so he won't really have an evaluation either. I already emailed MAGDRL - NY. We'll see what they say. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. We have to hold this pup for 10 days and then? We are technically a kill shelter so that IS a possibility, unfortunately. Ugh, I just don't know what to do. Here's a couple pics. He's a true Blue Merle by the way, and very pretty.

~ Lisa & Rupert

Poor guy...he must be so freaked out. Maybe you can post a video of his gait to see if someone on DOL can help you get an idea of what might be going on with his hips. Hopefully MAGDRL gets in touch soon!!!
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

Someone emailed me back already and wants the owner's number. I'm going to have to give MAGDRL's number to the owner though because my co-worker said she would feel more comfortable that way. Hopefully they will touch base tonight and I'll know more tomorrow. I will try to get video of his hips too.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I hope someone can help to poor baby.

Comment

He gets 10days then.....rainbow bridge?! How horrible! I mean 10 days is nothing!

If I had a dog who was aggressive the first thing i would try would be training...if that wasn't an option I DEFINITLY wouldn't bring it to a kill shelter!I'd do my research and find a rescue...but that's just me!
          sigpic
          "My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Well, like I said, they adopted it from us a few years ago, maybe they felt it was best to return him to us. Some people just don't have the knowledge or resources to deal with an aggressive dog. Not that I'm making excuses for them but I'm not really looking to blame these people, just help this dog.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Poor boy! I hope you hear from MAGDRL soon and they can help. Keep us posted.
              sigpic
              Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

Do you know if he was aggressive when they first adopted him, or does this seem like more of an owner error? Dogs don't forget, so it makes me wonder if the kid did something to him in the past. Maybe not intentional, but accidently startled him or something. I hope someone with Dane experience can rescue him and gain his trust! He's such a pretty Dane!
                ~ Erin ~
                "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
                sigpic

Comment

I walk him all the time. He is very sweet but very nervous. Has never made a move against me. I took his blood today and he was a complete angel about it. And great news! He tested positive for Lyme. We started him on Doxycycline. I would love to make sure we are giving the correct dosage though because I think you can give different doses depending on what you're treating? Anyone know? And MAGDRL called the shelter today and I spoke with them, they will call the owner tonight and find out more info and then hopefully get back to me. Hell, if all else fails I'll bring him home myself. I'm falling in love.

PS I think what I was seeing as a weird gait is actually his conformation. He has a very high rear and it just looks different. Go figure.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Isn't it Lyme that can cause aggression? I think I read some where that Lyme cause aggression. I do hope they check that before they deside what to do with him.

Comment

Please don't forget that this dog has bitten a child. Until any rescue can get a full understanding of what happened, it is quite possible that no one will be able to help him. A bite is a serious thing that cannot be overlooked in an effort to save every Dane.
                      Kathie Shea
                      GDCA Rescue Chair

Comment

Lyme does affect the joints so that's probably why he walks funny. It's very painful! I'm not sure what the correct dosage is but we get quite a few cases at my shelter.

So many rescues won't take animals that have a bite history and to often it's a death sentence. Not saying that's right or wrong but I hope this guy gets what is best for him. He's very pretty.

Comment

I would like to put this question out there...how do we know for a fact that this dog bit anyone? I wouldn't just take the owners word. Maybe they didn't want to admit they didn't want him anymore, or couldn't afford him. Did they know there was a medical issue and didn't or couldn't put out the $$$ to treat him? People are weird and will lie very easily. Was there a police report? Insurance claim? I would ask the owners those questions too. And i find it hard to believe that the kid was just sitting playing xbox And the dog walked up and bit him...there is more to the story if it's true. Poor baby... My prayers are With him.

Comment

I think MaryJane has asked a very valid question. Ike -- the IWH we have adopted -- had been turned into the facility for 'biting'. After pushing for details, the story transmogrified to "well, he put his mouth on her wrist". Then the story was that she became afraid of him.

Comment

Very true regarding if the full story is given or embellished. Either way, even if a bite didn't occur or had extenuating circumstances that led to it, the perception and liability is still there -- and a serious concern for any shelter or rescue that proceeds with placing any dog with a real or perceived bite history.

Some rescues will give an honest effort to determine if dogs like that are worth the risk, rehab and have even stricter placement requirements. OTOH, it is difficult to fault a shelter/rescue for opting to not go out on that limb (esp if they did in the past and ended poorly). Poll even a group like DOLers who love danes and pets in general, and there will be many who just won't consider a potential or known biter or other behavioral issues.

Sending positive thoughts for this guy.

PS - in the pix, his eye rims and nose look dark, are they black or darker grey ? I see his coat markings are diluted, but just wodered about the other.
                              Mrs Emery
                              AKC Canine Ambassador
                              Member GDCA - resource/referral
                              GOPDC - Public Education Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X