Canadian Dane Rescues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Dane Rescues?

There is a year old male mantle in our shelter as the result of a cruelty case. He has food aggression. I was wondering if anyone has a list of reputable Canadian rescues that might be able to help? We're in Western Canada.
    The best things in life are rescued.

Sent you a PM
    Sawyer, Great Dane -Rescue - 07/2012 - 3 years young
    Shadie, Border Collie - Rescue -9 years young

Evy, Great Dane - 08/02/2003 - 04/30/2013 - RIP my sweet girl! I miss you every day...

Comment

I'm sorry! I never thought that it might not be allowed to post rescue names, sorry about that!

I went out to see the Dane. He's about a year old, seems very sweet but is somewhat lacking in manners. He came in as a stray and no one came to claim him. I touched him all over and he had no issues with any of that. The staff I talked to said he doesn't really act aggressively with his food, he just rushes the bowl. So it's not nearly as bad as I had pictured in my head.

I did debate taking him myself but 3 Danes under 3 years old might be over my limit, physically as well as financially. He did growl at a few other dogs while I was there but I didn't do an actual dog meeting so I'm not sure how he'd be with other dogs.

Comment

Contact Elaine at http://www.newhopefordanes.org/. If she can't help you, she'll refer you to someone who can. I'll PM you her email addy
        sigpic
        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

This site has info about Canadian rescues and shelters and might be helpful.
          http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/rescue.htm

Hugs for Homeless Animals has a 'shelter directory' that lists shelters and rescues and will take some time to look through.
          http://www.h4ha.org/shelter-directory/index.php

Both those sites could be a resource for you, but I don't have any personal references in the Canadian West. Wish I did.

Newt
          "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Comment

Do you have any photos? and yes Elaine at new hope is great. My boy is from sask (byb) and they are around the same age.... long shot but maybe hes a littermate.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded! Now I have what's probably a stupid question. Does this dog NEED to go to a rescue? He's not in danger of being euth'd, he doesn't seem to have any issues other than being untrained, and the shelter is being picky about who they will let adopt him. I kind of think of rescue as being for dogs who are in danger, should I just let the rescues know that he's there and let them decide? I'm just not sure what to do here.

I don't have any pictures of him, he wouldn't stand still while I was there! If you go to the Humane Society (location in bio thing) website, his name is "Buttercup" and they have a picture of him. He's a sweet boy!

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by OdinsMom View Post
                Thank you to everyone who responded! Now I have what's probably a stupid question. Does this dog NEED to go to a rescue? He's not in danger of being euth'd, he doesn't seem to have any issues other than being untrained, and the shelter is being picky about who they will let adopt him. I kind of think of rescue as being for dogs who are in danger, should I just let the rescues know that he's there and let them decide? I'm just not sure what to do here.

I don't have any pictures of him, he wouldn't stand still while I was there! If you go to the Humane Society (location in bio thing) website, his name is "Buttercup" and they have a picture of him. He's a sweet boy!

Kim
                YES, he needs to go to rescue! Being untrained is a HUGE issue w/a Great Dane. Please contact Elaine.
                sigpic
                www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

I agree! Rescue is the right place for this boy
                  Sawyer, Great Dane -Rescue - 07/2012 - 3 years young
                  Shadie, Border Collie - Rescue -9 years young

Evy, Great Dane - 08/02/2003 - 04/30/2013 - RIP my sweet girl! I miss you every day...

Comment

Rescue would be the best to evaluate him and make sure he goes to a good "Dane home" not just a good dog home. Plus Danes dont do well in shelters -any behavior issues he already has could become worse and he could also develop new behavior problems as a result of being in the shelter.
                    "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                    sigpic
                    Rocky & Emma
                    Follow our adventures at
                    www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I have sent e-mails and let them know that I would be able to transport if they can help. Thanks again, guys, I wasn't sure how this whole thing works.

Comment

One other issue I've often found, at least here in the US, if a dog has aggression issues or health issues, they only release to a rescue to be sure that the dog gets the training or vet care it needs.

Newt
                        "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X