5 week old with a broken leg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 week old with a broken leg

Just got my new foster dane. She is a 5 week old breeder surrender due to her having a broken leg. We took x-rays and it turns out it is a spiral fracture that may require surgery (we find out on Monday). If she does require the surgery, it is going to be rather expensive as an orthopedic surgeon will have to do it.

She is such a sweetheart!!

Anyways, on to the pictures!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=199104497
    sigpic
    -Sara-
    -Classic & Zuma-

5 weeks is so little! Poor baby. How are the boys doing w/their LITTLE sis? Hopefully, she won't need surgery.
    sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by DANEger View Post
      5 weeks is so little! Poor baby. How are the boys doing w/their LITTLE sis? Hopefully, she won't need surgery.
      They're pretty used to me bringing random animals home, so they don't seem to really mind. I think Classic knows that she is broken, he hasn't attempted to squish her yet, LOL.
      sigpic
      -Sara-
      -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Very cute. At her age I would think just setting it would be enough even tho it is a spiral fracture. You have to keep in mind the INSANE ammount of growing this pup will do. The bone will very much heal. The issue will come up if the break is left too long and starts to heal in an incorect alignment. Then an ortho surgen will be the only one that can fix it.
        sigpic
        "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
        ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
        Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Originally posted by 3XDaneMom View Post
          Very cute. At her age I would think just setting it would be enough even tho it is a spiral fracture. You have to keep in mind the INSANE ammount of growing this pup will do. The bone will very much heal. The issue will come up if the break is left too long and starts to heal in an incorect alignment. Then an ortho surgen will be the only one that can fix it.
          We are going to do what the orthopedic surgeon suggests. So far we have consulted with a radiologist who is saying that it will most likely require surgery. The only one who can fix is even now would be an ortho surgeon because of the type of break it is.

We know she is young and she has a lot of growing to do.
          sigpic
          -Sara-
          -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_87 View Post
            We are going to do what the orthopedic surgeon suggests. So far we have consulted with a radiologist who is saying that it will most likely require surgery. The only one who can fix is even now would be an ortho surgeon because of the type of break it is.

We know she is young and she has a lot of growing to do.
            I was not suggesting to ignore the knowledge of the surgeon. I was simply saying that given the dogs age and remaining growth (ALOT) that surgery may not happen because of those factors.

With Anubis's 10 week fracture of the femur I was told that had he seen the vet and been taken care of by his first owner properly he would not have needed the extenceive surgey on his leg. But because it was left untreated by that ignorant woman the bone had started to heal broken as the muscle pulled the two broken halves to overlap and start fuseing.

For the sake of the puppy and the pocket book of the rescue I hope surgery is not required.
            sigpic
            "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
            ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
            Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

What a sweetie!! She's in good hands now. Poor little munchkin!!
              Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
              - Anatole France

Comment

She is adorable! good luck with the ortho. Hope she doesn't need surgery, sending good vibes her way!
                sigpic
                My Crew
                The Danes:
                Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                The Cats:
                Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

i had a spiral fracture once, wore a cast for 9wks eww
                  i hope she doesnt need surgery, best of wishes for her!
                  http://4supra.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Glad to see that she made is safely to you! She is in good hands.
                    Bev
                    Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                    sigpic

Comment

OMG that picture is a killer. She is adorable. Her sweet little face could melt the ice off the coldest heart. I am so glad she is with you and has your love and support. Kiss her up for me... I think I just fell in love!

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
                      ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
                      <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Awww, what a sweet puppy. I'm really glad that you have her. Did you ever find out how she broke her leg?
                        sigpic
                        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

what a doll face.. i am so glad she is in good hands! best wishes for her..
                          sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

So glad you can take care of this one. One thing for sure, the pup will have a lot of socialization and experiences, good ones, during this recovery. And that bandage will be magnet for other dogs's curiosity to come over and help.

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                              Awww, what a sweet puppy. I'm really glad that you have her. Did you ever find out how she broke her leg?
                              Breeders claimed the dam was playing rough with her. Who knows what really happened.
                              sigpic
                              -Sara-
                              -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Working...
                              X