This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAGDRL is in desperate need of foster homes

Have you ever considered fostering? If so, please consider becoming a foster home volunteer for MAGDRL.

Details on becoming a foster family can be found here.

Contact your local MAGDRL Coordinator on submitting an application to volunteer and foster.

They really need homes for incoming dogs.
    sigpic
    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

bump to top.

sigh.. i wish i could foster. the only reason i can not is the fact that i do not have a fenced yard. i am trying to find a feasible resolution to this, but fenced yards are not the norm in my area unless you have livestock (which i do not) boundary training to me is highly important and fences are too often used as an excuse to not have to watch dogs while they are outside, or to leave them outside for extended amounts of time with no supervision. i like fences for many reasons, but feel that they are an abused convenience. if anyone has information about this that could help me, please PM me.

meanwhile, for those of you that can foster, please help! these are desperate times for many people, and the pets are always the first to suffer
    sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Same situation here- I would absolutely volunteer, but I do not have a fenced yard.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceTW22 View Post
        Same situation here- I would absolutely volunteer, but I do not have a fenced yard.
        Exactly. I understand that fences are important to the Great Dane rescue, but they are missing big time on having great families who would love to foster or adapt a dane, but ...there is no fence.
        When my previous dane Sky died, I really thought about adapting, rescuing some poor dane and giving him/her probably the best years of his life. I was not allowed to do that because I don't have a fence around my house. It didn't matter how much love I could bring into this dane in need life.
        So, I ended up getting a puppy. Lexi is with me ALL the time. At home, in the car, at work (yes, she can come with me) This is what I could offer to any dane in need. But nope, no fence.
        And I still visit their website about every two weeks, just to look at the pictures of the danes and feel sorry for them.
        sigpic Lexi girl

Comment

are you saying they won't let you foster because you have no fence? this seems to be the norm with most rescues, not just danes. i have no fence but i live on 20 acres in the middle of nowhere. my rescue (in missouri) brought ashley out here when they did my home visit and she ended up staying. they were satisfied that, even though i didn't have a fence, i would still give her a good home.

i have since gotten 2 more danes from them. i have also had underground fence installed all the way across the front of my end of the farm. it's been too hot to work with bentley but neither of the girls will go anywhere near the flags that are still out there and he doesn't much care to leave the girls and wander.

have you considered underground fencing and would the rescue people be inclined to let you adopt/foster with that sort of a containment system?
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

If you don't live in MAGDRL's area, contact any Dane rescue in your area. Foster homes are always needed.
            Julie
            Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
            RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
            Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
            sigpic

Comment

MAGDRL does not allow underground fencing. However, I believe that if you are willing to take one of the older dogs, you may not need a fence. Check with your local coordinator. If I did not have a full house, I would foster. There are other things you can do to help out, if you can not foster. Meet and greets bring in the money needed to take care of the dogs medical needs, home visits, dog evaluations, even sewing tablecloths for the tables at the M&G's is helpful. I am sure that all of the rescues are in the same boat, and there is always something you can do. It is great fun, too.
              Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
              Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
              RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I'd definitely check with the area coordinator about the fence issue as I know there are some exceptions.

I'd love to foster but the house is full

Comment

i surrendered a dane once because i took him in but my boyfriend and i were not on the same page and his previous owner had in in terrible condition so of course i didnt want to give him back. does that mean i cannot foster?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwinezzie View Post
                    i surrendered a dane once because i took him in but my boyfriend and i were not on the same page and his previous owner had in in terrible condition so of course i didnt want to give him back. does that mean i cannot foster?
                    I guess that depends on what your situation is now?

Comment

What is the major position on fostering with a child(just turned 5) in the home? Would I be completely denied(by this particular) Rescue to foster ALL danes? Obviously I know a giant, testy male would not be a good idea, but what about an older senior that has been around children? Or a younger pup that is still more impressionable? I tried reaching out to the only local rescue in my area several times and the Woman has yet to get back to me..I actually think she is not even trying anymore. We really do not have a "local" rescue...of course we don't have a lot of Danes either in this area.Sadly that will change soon as there is a new BYB(dane) in town, but I have made it my personal mission to shut her down. I have plenty of land/room...I eventually want to build a Rescue on my property(when funds allow it).

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                      Milly-Harl GD,
                      Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                      www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by MillyVanilly View Post
                        What is the major position on fostering with a child(just turned 5) in the home? Would I be completely denied(by this particular) Rescue to foster ALL danes?
                        No - you wouldn't be denied just based on having a kid. MAGDRL adopts to and places foster dogs with families with kids - provided they've previously lived well with kids or have been kid tested. They just need to feel confident that you'll set approriate boundries for both the dog AND the kid

Cindy

Comment

Fences & Rescues

I have to pipe in on the fence issue...I too do not have a completely fenced in yard...What do I do with Milly? I put her on a lead each time I take her out. I have an alarm system that beeps when doors are opened, I have taught her one hell of a recall(except when there are wild deers, LOL). For exercise I take her to dog park every single am at the crack of dawn before everyone else goes. In the afternoon before dinner, we jog about a mile....every day.Is it an inconvience to do these things? No...not really. Would it be easier to have the yard fenced...probably..But at the same time, I wouldn't want to let her out in the yard alone...Wild animals (we live in Dunes) come by(that could/would jump a fence), there are rocks to eat, sticks, etc...To me it is safer to have her on lead outside. I am just as careful with her as I am my 5 yr old daughter...If not more careful, as I have put the Fear of God in my daughter...LOL..she knows she doesn't cross that invisable line. I understand the rescues point in that some people are idiots and would not take the necessary steps in keeping the Dane safe w/o a fence,but it would be my hope that the counselors could differentiate between idiot and smart person when adopting a Dane out. With that being said, I would think that most rescues would make "exceptions" to the fence rule.
                          Currently we are working on a fence. With having 2 acres that wound need fencing, it comes at quite a cost($11,000). Since we have a zero credit card use policy(except for true emergencies)we have opened a goal-setter savings account. The fence will be nice when we have it, but IMO, not so much will change in regards to how Milly is exercised.

Now....accidents can happen. They can happen with any aspect of dog ownership though.You just have to be vigilant with your safety practices to combat these things.

Milly-Harl GD,

Comment

MillyVanilly,

I am not sure exactly where you are located but I am in NWI on the Chicago border and on Lake Michigan. FWIW, a few years back when I looked at MAGDRL site and saw over a hundred dogs available, I tried to adopt, actually made an inquiry and was told I was not in their adoption region and they only serviced up and down the eastern seaboard.

Also, having a conversation with Joyce, a member and officer at MAGDRL, we kind of laughed in that prior to becoming President, Obama living in Chicago was not eligible to adopt but once he moved to D.C. he became eligible.

In my area, Great Danes are very well taken care and there are quite of few here. The 3 major rescue groups of Chicago always are the first to pull if one ends up in a shelter. My rescue is way down on the call list and I always try to have room for the one that everyone rejects.

If you can let me know if MAGDRL has become open to the Chicago area, I would definitely apply as a fosterer.

Comment

From what I can tell(website) MAGDRL is not in the Chicago area.

Milly-Harl GD,

Comment

Working...
                              X