9 year old dane...needs a retirement home ASAP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 year old dane...needs a retirement home ASAP

So i have been contacted by our local Humane Society that there is a 9 YO male dane, that was just neutered last week and is in the middle stages of heartworm treatment that needs to be placed. They said he is absolutly misserable at the shleter and they need to send him somewhere ASAP. So I am working with my friend Kim to send him to a home for his final days. It is breaking myheart...I will probabally bring him to my house, but am hesitant because is filled with 4 kids and 2 puppies, but I do not have anyone else lined up to help with him, as I do not have carpet and it will be easier to clean up after him. They said that he has a couple short walk left in him. I am so scared to have to live through his final days and deal with his end. It will be so difficult. But we need to pick him up tomorrow, he will need to be taken to get heartworm treatment for a little while longer.

His story is that he was thrown from a car in one of the parks and a person witnessed it. The teen was not charged because he was honest when the police questioned him. (Crock of sh#$) Additionlly he has some sort of neuro thing going on from the toss, and he is unable to stand on his hind legs. Lastly his teeth are really worn down, making it difficult to eat hard foods. Please pray for Little Jon. If anyone has any advice, suggestions, ideas, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Nichole Monahan
    www.ohiogreatdanerescue.org
    www.meetup.com/greatdane-nwohio/

Awww...poor guy! I am glad they called you instead of keeping him there for his retirement when he doesn't feel comfortable there. Is he expected not to live too much longer?

You are amazing for taking him in. I hope it works for him. If it doesn't, do you have any back up ideas?
    sigpicSteeler and Kelly

He is your best friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    ~Anonymous

Comment

Oh, crap.
      I'm literally sitting at my desk with tears streaming down my face.

DO IT. Take him in and love him.

I will not lie to you and say it will be easy but this could be the most rewarding thing you ever get to do. I "specialize" for lack of a better word in hospice care animals - seniors with no place else to go. It is hard and wonderful all at the same time. What your home and love will mean to that old man is beyond words.

Thank you so, so much for giving this old man a place to live out his last days. No matter how long he is with your family, you will be lucky and he will warm your heart like you can't even imagine. Old dogs are the most grateful, loving creatures I've ever encountered.

Comment

Oh dear, we just dealt (are still dealing with) losing an older dog. Its so hard
        I know I'm a bit far, but if nothing else works out, keep us in mind. I would love to give him a happy home for the time he has left - you never know, it may be more than anyone guesses.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

I have Kim as a backup and we have another woman, but we are not sure if her male will tolerate another in the house, and she is not sure if she can commit to an unidentified time with him. So we are working out the details...I am not sure how long he has, the worker we spoke to was not very confident. They are open until 6 tonight, so I am going to try and get over there, otherwise I will have to go in the morning.
          sigpic
          Nichole Monahan

Comment

A lot of times, a dog can be on death's door at the shelter & make an amazing recovery when he is placed into a loving home. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. Whatever time he has whether it is a short time or a long time, he'll appreciate being in a loving home. No old dog should have to live out his days in a shelter. Good luck with the old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2FiveBIGDogs View Post
              A lot of times, a dog can be on death's door at the shelter & make an amazing recovery when he is placed into a loving home. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. Whatever time he has whether it is a short time or a long time, he'll appreciate being in a loving home. No old dog should have to live out his days in a shelter. Good luck with the old man.

Couldn't agree more. I have seen this myself MANY times. Bless you for taking him in. Don't think of it as "his end" or his "last days" because it really is his new begining. For however long it lasts, it is his NEW LIFE.

Good luck with him. A warm bed and some good food is going to show him that all humans aren't bad.
              sigpic

Comment

This is Gabe. There was a free to good home ad in the paper. I called and talked to the woman. She was going through a bad divorce and it was her husband's dane. He didn't want to place it, probably because she did. Long story short, someone dumped him in the county out by the fairgrounds. We went and got him. I think he lived about 6 more months with my partner in crime before the cancer finally killed him. Thankfully he spent his last 6 months in a warm, safe and loving home.
                It's never too late to show them love.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh my gosh its so sad what people do to dogs. I love old dogs, Gabe was sure a cutey.

Comment

Update..

Kim picked up Lil John from the shelter tonight and he has been placed in his foster home/retirement home...a home with one older dane, no kids, and no cats...somewhere quiet with a parent that works at home. We are going to see how he does tonight and make a final determination tomorrow if this can be permanent. We just had to get him out of the shelter. He was very happy to be around people, kids, cats, and other dogs. He was so excited that he even got his front two legs in the car, and the back two got some assistance from Kim. Pray that his new home works out. He has such a big heart!
                    sigpic
                    Nichole Monahan

Comment

Oh good! Please keep us posted. I have a tender spot in my heart for the old guys - and no, not a one deserves to live out their days in a shelter
                      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                      - Anatole France

Comment

Oh thank you for getting this baby!! I'm in tears reading about him. How can anyone be so cruel to such an innocent creature to just toss him out like that. I will never understand some of the human race. Bless all of you involved in helping him.
                        Linda and Rocky
                        sigpic
                        Jesse 1998-2007
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
                        Harley 1998-2002
                        Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

I am so happy you are helping this old man. How could anyone dump an old dog. I would go the the end of the earth to spend one more day with my Thor.

Comment

Originally posted by 13frajja View Post
                            I am so happy you are helping this old man. How could anyone dump an old dog. I would go the the end of the earth to spend one more day with my Thor.
                            Couldn't agree more.
                            sigpic

Comment

Update on Old Man Gus,

He is happy in his new home, and his heartworm is gone!! He gets all the luxuries of a queen size bed to special homeade food!

He is very loved, and I actually think, he has many months to even a year left in him!!!

I am so happy!

He even shares a blog with his new brother! http://www.bugendawg.blogspot.com/
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ilovekbanda; 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM. Reason: picture
                              sigpic
                              Nichole Monahan

Comment

Working...
                              X