Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just adopted a VERY submissive Dane

I just adopted a VERY submissive Dane,

I've had her about 2 days, and I understand she will take time to get use to her new enviroment, but her previous owner said thats what she didn't like about her. When I went to pick her up at her home of two years she ran into the corner and put her face down.....: ( this was in place she should be comfortable in.... I would think....this behavior has continued like this at our home as well.
    Please if any one has any advice, I need it. She's so gentle and sweet but I need her to be comfortable enough to not shy away when I go to her. Will this change?

RE: I just adopted a VERY submissive Dane

For now, I would not go to her. I would more or less ignore her until she is ready to invesigate and approach you. Let her set the pace.

Comment

You sound like you are surprised at her behavior. Since she exhibited the exact behavior when you picked her up at her previous home where she has lived for 2yrs, do you think she would act any differently within 2 days at your home?

Obviously this is a challenged girl that is going to need lots of patience and time. Will she ever be a "normal" dane? Probably not, but hopefully with an understanding and patient owner she will be able, with their help, work thru some of her idiosyncrasies.

As for now, I would give her at least a week or two to settle in (maybe longer considering her issue) before I would try to expose her to anything new. Let her get to know you and your routine so she can start to feel secure in what is expected of her so in case she is faced with a situation she is unsure about she will look to you for reassurance and direction on acceptable behavior.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

When I'm babysitting or fostering a dog that is submissive I totally ignore them. When they make any attempts to come near me or even look in my direction I give a perky "YES" and toss them a treat and then go back to what I was doing.

I often will sit on the floor in the center of a room, eyes closed and hum or sing softly. Dogs appreciate the opportunity to check you out without pressure. Trying too hard often backfires and keeps them at bay.

Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
        http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/doofuses.jpg

Comment

Well, giving her space it shall be! Really I wasn't particularly surprised at her behavior at my home , as I was surprised at the behavior of the home she had been in since she was born, I got her from a vets assitant, who had had her since she was born. She said she's always acted like that,( which didn't sit right with me ) which would tell me something happened to her. But everyones advice is most appreciated , I would have probably done the exact opposite, trying to make her feel welcome...I'll let everyone know how she is later.
          Thanks!
          Brycie

Comment

>She said she's always acted like that,(
            >which didn't sit right with me ) which would tell me something
            >happened to her.

She's quite possibly being completely honest. There are some dogs whose temperaments are so solid that nothing life throws at them would make them any different. There are other dogs who would turn out to be wonderful dogs with good handling and training. There are still others that will always have their behavioral issues no matter how good the handling. Shy/timid temperament can be absolutely be inherited.

I know someone who has had dogs for over 30 years. Her current dog walks around head hanging low, jumping at every noise, acting like the sky's about to fall. Yet, I know for a fact that she's been treated with nothing but love and kindness fromt he time she was a little pup.

Suja

Comment

My El is timid and goofy, he was just born that way, I'd guarantee the breeder didn't abuse him.

Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
              http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/doofuses.jpg

Comment

Same here. My boy is nervous and shy, and has never had any particular trauma in his life. He was born this way. Certain circustances bring out his best and worst, and he has good and bad days, but this is it. It's who he is.

Comment

Working...
                X