Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cropped ear will not stand after neuter surgery!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropped ear will not stand after neuter surgery!

Hi everyone
    My boy is 18 months old and went for neuter surgery 2 weeks ago. Since his surgery his right ear is flopped over and will not stand. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do you think it will come back? Should I try to support it and hope whatever affected it will rectify itself? He had perfect ears prior to surgery :/

Originally posted by Tryst View Post
    Hi everyone
    My boy is 18 months old and went for neuter surgery 2 weeks ago. Since his surgery his right ear is flopped over and will not stand. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do you think it will come back? Should I try to support it and hope whatever affected it will rectify itself? He had perfect ears prior to surgery :/
    So sorry - I hope someone with cropping experience will chime in. But I would recommend going back to taping for now - hopefully it is temporary.
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I don't have any experience with tha either, but I would also start taping that ear up.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies. I spent 3 days googling trying to find someone who has had a similar experience but couldn't find anything. It must have been a fluke. I will tape him tonight. He is a pet and I will love him no matter what but he looks so silly!

Comment

Originally posted by Tryst View Post
          Thank you so much for the replies. I spent 3 days googling trying to find someone who has had a similar experience but couldn't find anything. It must have been a fluke. I will tape him tonight. He is a pet and I will love him no matter what but he looks so silly!
          This is different and I even feel silly posting it, but it reminds me of what happened to me when I was twelve. I had oral surgery to have my wisdom teeth pulled, and afterwards the dimple on my right cheek disappeared. So strange, but I'm guessing they may have gotten close to a related nerve or muscle group or something. In your dog's case, maybe he was lying on the ear folded over or something?
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I was kind of thinking he may have been laying on his ear or maybe it is a very strange reaction to the anesthetic. If he damaged the ear laying on it do you think it will correct itself?
            And I'm sorry but im really curious, did your dimple ever come back???

Comment

Only when I do a forced cheesy grin lol - it used to just be there all the time. I just checked in the mirror, ha ha. I still have the left one though! I googled just now and found a lot of people talking about losing dimples after extractions, root canals etc so I guess I'm not alone.

Was your dog under for a long time? I wouldn't think a traditional neuter would take so long that there would be permanent nerve damage. At least he's still young so hopefully the taping will work.
              -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Im glad you are not alone

Im not sure how long he was under, he is new to me and was neutered by the breeder's vet before I picked him up

With a bit of tape he can make his ear stand up maybe there is hope?

Comment

Always good to have hope and give it a try.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to my friend's doberman. When the staff at the vet clinic laid her on the surgery table her ear was folded under her head and it broke the cartilage. It never stood again

Hopefully that is not what happened to yours! Good luck!
                  sigpic
                  Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                  Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                  Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

Thank you for the reply tmedic. Im sorry that happened to your friend as well. I believe this is what happened to my guy. I taped him up and it will stand with the support of the tape, as soon as the tape is off it falls again. Im going to keep trying for a while (as long as the tape isn't bothering his ear). The vet ownes Danes, I am a little disappointed that this happened :/ But in the big picture he came through surgery well and healed up quickly so I guess a bent ear is nothing to be upset about.
                    I've read different things help with cartridge, vitamin c was a common one, do you believe in that?

Comment

Working...
                    X