Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One ear leans too far inward. Need help correcting. Thanks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One ear leans too far inward. Need help correcting. Thanks!

Zeus' ears are looking great so far but he's got a bit of a problem with one of them. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture but I used some of my amazing MS Paint skills to illustrate the problem. The left ear leans inward too far and I'm not sure how to correct. I've tried researching for a solution but have come up pretty much empty handed. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

How old is the puppy and how long have you been taping? What taping method are you using?

IME when one ear leans in like that it is because you are creating a pocket while taping that ear. Basically there is a pocket of air near the base when you tape and this creates a weakness which causes the ear to bend. Make sure you pull UP and OUT when you insert the post and secure the base with tape.

Other than a possible pocket issue, I would not worry too much. As the base strengthens, these little things tend to correct themselves with time and with use of the ear.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

Dukes did this at first too. Not sure how long you have been taping but it was better after a month or so. Also I don't know how I are taping, but we wrap straws in paper towel and put the post pretty far down. Google Dr bills ears that is the method we use. It is pretty noninvasive and we like that his ears can bump into things or he can lay on his back and do normal this ngs without interference.
      sigpic
      Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Finn had one that tipped in a little bit too, but now it's fine (almost 6 months). Once those muscles strengthen it should be fine. Do like Jen said and pull the ear up and out while inserting the post and tape as far down at the base as you can. If your pup is young, you can put a bridge in to help keep them stable. I used a solid foam bridge instead of a tape bridge for one week when Finn was about 10 or 11 weeks and that really helped. You just have to measure carefully so it's not to long and pushes them out or too short and tips them both in. We use th foam pipe insulation method and it's working well for us. Used a pool noodle earlier and it's basically the same, we just put the post down further in the ear and cut a hunk out of the noodle for a space for the bump in the ear.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Zeus is 13 weeks now. We have been taping for about 5 weeks. The problem started after the first week of posting. We are using the foam pipe insulation as posts. I was told not to put the post too far down into the ear and I think I may have been putting them a little too high. I'll try putting the post in a little deeper. Thank you for your input! I'll report back in a few weeks if I don't see any improvement.
          Has anyone used the breath right nasal strips before? It seems like a great idea for the 'break' in the cartilage about halfway up the ear and also not very invasive.

Comment

The breathe right strips are for older dogs whose bases are up firmly but need a little support at the tips of the ears. At 13 weeks, a puppy is probably nowhere near ready for breathe right strips unless the crop is really short. I have some for Finn that I'll be using soon, but even he isn't ready for them yet. They're really not very firm at all and I don't think they'd support anything heavier than the ear tip. I thought they were plastic but they're just a fabric strip.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

dukes crop was done at 13 weeks. Up and out while placing the post. And keep full taping at least through teething but prolly at least until a year or more old !!!
              Last edited by dukers; 11-09-2014, 08:15 PM.
              sigpic
              Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X