Frankie's ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie's ears

I took Frankie in yesterday to get his ears posted. He has not stopped shaking his head. It looks to me like the post is to far in the ear. I bought the stuff to tape it myself but I'm not sure which way his natural ear flap needs to be tapped. Any info on tapping would be greatly appreciated. [emoji4]

Get on you tube, there are a lot of good videos on taping.
    sigpicPatiently waiting for our new crew member

Comment

Quick answer: flaps go backwards.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Flap goes backwards - so you would be wrapping the tape from the outside of the head toward the middle. I thought the Summit View ear taping videos on YouTube were helpful.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to attempt to post his ears tonight. I will post pictures. I think I'm going to try the pipe foam method. I like the fact that you can tape the ear at just three points. He hates having his whole ear taped.

Comment

Here is Frankie's ears so far. His tips are touching. [emoji53] What are some of the taping methods that you used? Just wondering if I need to be doing something different.

Comment

Make sure you are pulling the ear up and out when you put the post in. Are you using a bridge? If not, use one. If so, maybe try using a solid bridge to keep the ears from tipping in toward each other. I had to do that once. They should be in a slight V shape when they're taped, not tipping in or straight up and down.

When I was using only 3 pieces of tape, I was also gluing the post in or else it would pop out at the bottom and the ear would tip in. I actually prefer taping the whole ear once the edges are completely healed.
              sigpic
              Chaucey

Comment

I haven't been using a bridge when I do it. I may not be pulling up enough. Guess I will be putting a bridge back on. What kind of glue do you use?

Comment

I don't use the glue anymore, but when I did I used Torbot skin glue. I got it on Amazon. If you use it you also have to get some Unisolve or something to clean it off the ear. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I prefer using either foam pipe insulation or part of a flower shaped pool noodle and back wrapping it with tape, then taping all around it - it's the Summitview method on YouTube. It has been working well for us so far. Finn's ears stood really well after the first taping. My breeder sent me to a well known Dane handler to show us how to tape and it was really helpful.
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

I think I need to find a handler to help me. I just don't think I'm taping his ears right. The last time the vet did it I had to take it down after two days because it was taped so tight it cut into part of his ear on each side.

Comment

You could always email or call your local Great Dane club to see if they can refer you to someone. In the meantime, watch the taping videos on YouTube. Search for summit view ear taping. There are 3 videos and they're very helpful. That's basically the method I'm using now.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey

Comment

This is what I've used:

http://www.sunstrike-great-danes.com/education/ears.pdf
                        Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Here is what we do, although we have recently been replacing gauze with paper towel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wx-FuRn5M
                          sigpic
                          Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Okay, I took the posts down today and this is how they look so far. They definitely look better than last week.

Comment

Looking good! I bet they'll stand quickly.
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey

Comment

Working...
                              X