Ear Cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Cleaning

Hi everyone. My Luna does not have cropped ears, and I was wondering what would be a good method for cleaning them? She seems to have a wax build up and they look like they are itchy, I just don't know what to use to clean them. Any and all advice is welcome.
    sigpic
    :: Luna AKA Lulu Belle ::
    :: 12/26/11 - 03/29/16 ::

Alcohol and cotton balls... get fairly deep down in the bell, and kinda like wiping after peeing (for females)... go deep and then out (although I guess it is sorta opposite of wiping after peeing), not the other way

Think about cleaning your own ears, and do some rubbing to be sure you get all the ridges.

Duke LOVES getting his ears cleaned, he groans and pushes into me... and when I am done... looks at me like "don't stop". I get the bag of cotton balls and he goes nuts
    sigpic
    Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Alcohol and cotton balls here too. I also use a q-tip to get in the nooks and crannies, just not in the ear canal.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
        Alcohol and cotton balls here too. I also use a q-tip to get in the nooks and crannies, just not in the ear canal.
        Thought about q tips, but I don't trust duke not to move his head. Or I don't trust myself...
        sigpic
        Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks I will buy the supplies in the morning and see how it goes.
          sigpic

Comment

Wax build up? Like a brownish gunky sludge? Plus itchy ears? Sounds like you have a yeast problem going on. Smell them. I think yeast ears have a dirty feet smell. Sounds crazy, but that's what it smells like to me. LOL
            sigpic

Comment

There doesn't appear to be an odor of any kind. There isn't much of a colour to the wax, it seems normal looking to me. I think the itching might be simply from all the chaff in the air right now (All the farmers around are harvesting the grain and barley right now, lots of fine debris in the air)
              sigpic

Comment

I would recommend not getting too aggressive with the wax removal. Keep your dogs' ears clean(ish) but they do not need to be spotless! Earwax serves a purpose, both in humans and people. It is a natural bug repellant, oddly enough.

In addition, it also serves to protect from debris, bacteria etc and helps to remove dead skin cells that naturally slough off. If these skin cells were not able to be removed naturally, they could result in ear infections or even benign growths. (I'm studying this right now in school.)

However, as Angel mentioned, anything foul-smelling could be a warning sign for something more serious - so definitely keep that in mind!
                -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I clean titans bells and leathers with alcohol wipes you know like then one the doc uses on your arm before administering the shots. I don't go to far down in the ear so I can leave some of that wax to protect (what it's supposed to do) I more less just wipe out the excess clumps, build up or the dusty layer.

Angel said it before - keep an eye on the smell could be ear mites and/or a yeast infection.
                  sigpic
                  Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                  Titan - GD
                  Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                  Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                  Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I guess it seems like I got deep because of dukes altered bells from the ear crop. U guys are correct you don't wanna go as far as trying to touch their brain.
                    sigpic
                    Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

while cleaning Titans after the crop my finger nearly disappeared in there so I could clean where the post were.... now that we are done with the posting i don't clean as deep and vigorous.
                      sigpic
                      Titan - GD
                      Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

How often should you clean their ears?

Comment

I like to wash my doggy's body once a week or so. I usually clean his ears everyother or if they get funky. Although now that we are taping it is before we tape so the tape sticks better.
                          Last edited by dukers; 09-25-2014, 05:10 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

We do ears, nails, and brushing once a week.
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey
                            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Sunday is a our grooming day... Ears, nails and Zoom Groom I bathe as needed I don't want to wash to much and dry out his skin and cause skin problems.
                              sigpic
                              Titan - GD
                              Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Working...
                              X