Please - need advice new crop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please - need advice new crop

I have an 8 week pup that I just brought home (less than 24 hours ago). His ears were cropped 8 days ago. The cup was apparently taken off yesterday before I got him. The right ear looks pretty good, left does not. See attached photos. These are this morning. I cleaned him yesterday - there was debris (grass and small plant debris) in the scabby incision. I have taped ears on 2 prior Danes, the first over ten years ago, and the second was a while ago also, and already healed when I got her.

Any advice on cleaning, whether to put a cup on prior to taping while it heals (and how to do it) will be greatly appreciated. I'm worried because the left ear is pretty inflamed (especially compared to the other ear). I also worry about scarring into a curled tip. Once they are healed and ready to tape, i know what to do. Thank you for any help you can give!
    Attached Files

This is the right ear.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would get that pup on some antibiotics right away. The one ear is clearly infected. 8 days post crop should be looking much, much better than that.

I personally would not have let a pup of mine go in that condition. Breeder should have gotten that cleared up before sending the pup home IMO. No it may not be the most convenient thing to do, I get that. I've cancelled a pup's flight and rescheduled several days later because the ears were slightly infected (and nothing as bad as this).
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

Agree with antibiotics quickly. I cringed when I enlarged that pic. Poor puppy. The ears can just flop around loose at this point, I wouldn't be taping them to anything until the one is healed.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Thanks you all. I got him some meds today. I feel horrible for the little guy. Hopefully keeping it clean along with the meds will resolve it quickly. I agree with no cups or taping until we get this fixed.

Comment

poor pup.. that looks really infected! i've read good things about gold bond powder.. do a search on it to see if that might be something you want to get
            sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

yikes.... Titans were scabbed and they were falling off at 8 days...

glad you got him to the vet and some meds... that looked pretty bad. let us know how the pup recovers....
              sigpic
              Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
              Titan - GD
              Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
              Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
              Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Some improvement after 2 days on Clavamox, cleaning with saline and applying silver sulfadiazine cream. He was also prescribed anti-inflammatory (deramaxx). Thanks for everyone's input. I'm still holding off doing any taping, focusing on getting the ear healthy. I appreciate any input as before.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the curl I'm also concerned about. I would really hate to have him go through all this and not have good, standing ears. Do you all think I'll be able to get it up and uncurled?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can you massage the edge, or is it painful for him. Maybe that will help?
                    sigpic
                    Chaucey
                    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Honestly, it looks a lot better to me. And I wouldn't worry about the curl. My Rupert's ears were taped together on top of his head when his stitches were in, so when I started posting his ears they had started curling over top of his head. It looked terrible, after one week in posts they were up and straight.
                      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Please - need advice new crop

Titan did the same his ears were taped together on top of his head when I got him and had to wait 7 days for the first posting ....

Excuse typos!!!
                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Titan3151; 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM. Reason: content
                        sigpic
                        Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                        Titan - GD
                        Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                        Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                        Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I'm sorry, but I would be furious if a breeder sent a puppy to me like this.

Did you contact the breeder? If so, what was his/her response? I would hope he/she would pick up the vet bill to get those ears healthy.

as for the curling tip, would breathe right strips be of any use at this stage of the game? I've never cropped before, but that seems like it might be a less intrusive way to help the tip heal properly. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
                          sigpic
                          Debbie & Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by DebinSD View Post
                            I'm sorry, but I would be furious if a breeder sent a puppy to me like this.

Did you contact the breeder? If so, what was his/her response? I would hope he/she would pick up the vet bill to get those ears healthy.
                            ^Agree. My Finn's ears were taped on the top of his head after the crop. The tape was removed and they are just hanging (bases are pretty perky already). All scabs are off and he will be posted for the first time tomorrow. My breeder has not had any problems with this method. She had me massage his ears daily...not sure if that would be tolerable or helpful to your pup's ear tip with the infection though.
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey
                            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                            X