Newbie here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here.

My baby had her ears cropped on Sunday. When I brought her home (10 hours later) she seemed perfectly fine except the usual shaking and scratching...which I corrected.
    Okay, Monday morning, I removed the sock. The ears are taped to a styrofoam cup. The right ear is completely exposed along the crop. The left ear was exposed from the base and then it seemed to stop towards the tip. I noticed later on today the left ear also seemed a bit more swollen. The right side seemed to feel a bit more relaxed and thin compared to the left side.

Does this have something to do with the taping?

I peeled the tape on the left side upwards to expose the rest of the sutures going towards the tip of the ear. It just didn't make sense to me that one ear was exposed all the way to the tip and this one wasn't. When I got closer to the tip, it looks as though one side of the ear stuck on the tape and maybe ripped a bit? Or perforated from the other side?

I'm not sure if the tape is on too tight. I'm meeting with my breeder Wednesday and was instructed not to do anything, unless it gets worse.

There is also some crusty spots near the base, I think this is just dried blood though, there's a faint smell in both the ears so I'm guessing it's the metallic blood smell...

I put some neosporin on it tonight after I opened that bandage up a bit on the left ear...now that I think about it, I didn't even clean the ears before applying this,,.smh. I wasn't instructed to do any type of cleaning as well. Just want something or a technique so to speak to clean out the base and the little crusties that I believe are causing that bloody smell...

Hoping the air will help this left ear and wondering if I need to do anything further, I'm guessing that leaving it alone for now is best until I see my breeder, but welcoming any tips and suggestions from all you experienced owners I just don't want to do more harm than good...or not be doing something that can prevent future complications...

Right ear (normal looking one)

Left ear ( I think it seems a bit swollen compared to the right side) also wasn't exposed all the way to the tip like the right side

After I opened up the bandage a bit, see where it seems perforated near the tip? As soon as I saw this I stopped opening the tape. Pretty much exposed as much as I could to the tip. I didn't want to hurt or really pull the two flaps apart, since the inside flap is sticking pretty good to the tape.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by babe; 06-16-2014, 10:59 PM. Reason: more information

Newbie here.

Listen to your breeder and leave it alone. Things like neosporin can actually make it worse, IME. Don't try to peel tape or clean. Just leave it be, even though it's hard to.

*Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

Can all the shaking cause an ear hematoma?

Comment

Not likely when it's secured to the cup. If it was lose and flapping, maybe.

*Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you @oceanbluedanes!!!

Comment

Update--breeder checked out the ears. I'm neurotic lol...everything looks perfectly fine, except of course we get home and she ripped out two of the sutures closer to the base. It bled a little bit, not profusely or anything,and she cried for a good thirty seconds. I used a clean damp cloth and placed it over the part that bled. Leaving these ears alone until stitches come out!!!

Comment

Working...
            X