This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendetta 5 months old crop update-Euro great dane

My little girl is now at the 5 month mark. She has a really long show crop. Haven't had to deal with one this long before. But I think the vet did a good cut and shape, ear leather is pretty thin. They are standing ok, but the one tip has to have breathe right strips in them still. Since taking her posts down 2 days ago and snapping these pics, I have put both ears up in full brace. When she runs they flop every which direction. I will re asses when she hits the 6-7 month mark. I hope I don't run into any problems, as the ears are really showing signs of hardening up and wanting to stand. Thought I would post some pics.

Very nice

Curious, are you still breeding Danes?

Comment

thanks
      Last edited by krista; 06-13-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krista View Post
        How do you know I bred and showed danes in the past? Do I know you?
        It's the internet - if you know where to look, you can usually find what you're looking for.

Comment

I thought you had a litter in 2009? (emergency c-section) Unless I am remembering a different Krista - I remember the story stuck with me bcz the OP never wrote if the two survivor pups made it...
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
            I thought you had a litter in 2009? (emergency c-section) Unless I am remembering a different Krista - I remember the story stuck with me bcz the OP never wrote if the two survivor pups made it...
            You're right...

http://dolforum.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=krista
            Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

It worries me that you edited your post above Krista, as it is dishonest and misleading. You stated that you had not bred in the last ten years or so - which is untrue, based on your emergency c-section litter in 2009. Not sure if you can now edit out that thread as well.

Regardless - we all make mistakes. We are all human. Maybe you were afraid of a backlash from DOL members when finding out that you previously bred Danes using standards that the majority of the long-time DOLers and certainly the majority of reputable breeders would disagree with. Not because we are out to get anyone, but because we truly care about the breed.

I know I felt very bad when I realized I had purchased our first Dane Kahuna from a BYB. And I felt nervous when I first admitted it on DOL - but my only prior experience was with our mutt puppy from the pound, so what did I know? I learned from my experience, and will not make the same mistake twice. Which is one of the many reasons we rescued this time around.

It is very clear that you love your Dane and Pit family deeply - your pictures speak a thousand words. And it is very encouraging to hear that you are planning on neutering your boy - hopefully you are planning on spaying your females as well. Or at the very least are not planning to breed them without finishing them in the ring and giving much thought to it, preferably w/ a fantastic breeder mentor guiding you along.

Best of luck to you,
              -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                It worries me that you edited your post above Krista, as it is dishonest and misleading. You stated that you had not bred in the last ten years or so - which is untrue, based on your emergency c-section litter in 2009. Not sure if you can now edit out that thread as well.
                She did edit that thread, too, but she left this post:

Originally posted by krista View Post
                The puppies and mom are at my friends who doesnt work all day and can look after them and she does have a litter of 2 week old havanese and this was an option we thought of..I just didnt want to take my dane's babies away from her cuz the pups are still trying to nurse her and my friend is suplimenting them with the puppy replacer forumala. Justice my dane mom has been licking them and stimulating them and doing a fabulous job with them. I am just beside myself over this!

Krista

The date of this post is 1-14-2009.

Krista, you should have just owned it. Instead you tried to covered it up. Didn't work...
                Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Back on topic (cropping) and because I am also a nosey busy body and went through most of your old posts, it appears that you have very consistently cropped your Danes and then proceeded to ask a ton of questions about those crops too. I'm assuming it's because every Dane is different, but the general rule everyone should follow if they are paranoid, patient, and a perfectionist is to tape ears fully until after teething (at least to 7 months) and THEN start leaving them down to see how they do. I do not understand (and it's not just you) this urgent need to get them out of their tapes so darn early. What a waste of a nice crop to have it flop because of impatience on the owner's part.

1. Keep ears in tapes for at least 7 days at a time (if you can)
                  2. Take tape off for an hour or two.
                  3. Retape for another 7 days.
                  4. Rinse and repeat until 7 months old.
                  5. Start experimenting with leaving them out of tapes longer.
                  6. Slightest loose or floppiness, retape entire ear.

I know there are those who have taken them out sooner but why chance it? And I believe those crops were shorter or wider or both. If you want a nice crop you gotta put in the work.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

^^^What Sparrow said. Ferg is my first Dane, and he has natural ears, but even I understand you're not done taping at 4-5 months. Do folks just decide they like the look but not at all look into the amount of time and effort involved in nice looking crops?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
                    X