X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babe
    started a topic Answer this please!

Answer this please!

I work at a veterinary clinic. When my co-workers ask if I'm doing ears and I reply with a yes. I get all these sad faces and questions asking why....it's a personal preference to me but they make me feel horrible for my decision. How do you guys handle this? This is my first dane btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• krista
    replied
    Originally posted by babe View Post
    I work at a veterinary clinic. When my co-workers ask if I'm doing ears and I reply with a yes. I get all these sad faces and questions asking why....it's a personal preference to me but they make me feel horrible for my decision. How do you guys handle this? This is my first dane btw.

Ear cropping is more rare where I am, in Canada. When they see my dogs in tapes they ask about it..yes I get alot of crap from people. I simply hold my ground and tell them it's my choice my decision. Then I explain the procedure, let them know they are on painkillers and running around like nothing happened just hours after surgery. Then I say, look at my dog, does he look in pain to you? As my dogs trying to get on them for pets and snuggles. LOL. I also explain some mothers and fathers let their teenagers get tongue piercings and tattoos under age all the time. No different.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    I have to say while we had both my boys at the Camaro fest we got a lot of questions about why Titans were pointy and stood up and why Thor's were floppy. I explained to them that I got Titan as a puppy and Thor was 4 months when I brought him home so it was too late...

it was a 50/50 on which profile they liked more than the other... I didn't receive any negative remarks but I had several people tell me that Titan just looked brighter and "peppy" and some admitted they like the floppy ears but quickly added that both were handsome...

once it's done the comments tend to go away.... I have always been fond of the cropped look (this is what I grew up with) never saw a natural ear Dane until I got mine... actually I didn't see many Great Danes until I got Titan and now I see them more frequently!

Leave a comment:

• Angel7292
    replied
    Or... "Thanks for your input.". Leave it at that. People can be rude, just don't join them.

As to the OP, people can't make you feel anything you don't want to feel. It's your dog and your decision. Why allow someone to make you feel horrible? If you'll feel horrible about the procedure, just don't do it. I'm partial to a natural eared dane. However, it matters not to me if you crop your danes ears or not.

Leave a comment:

• Greenmagick
    replied
    I honestly dont get the circumcision part....the rate has dropped to almost 50% in many areas of the US and has been on a steady decline so you are just as likely to get a "no" as you are a "yes".

Basically, yes, cropping is a cosmetic surgery that is a personal decision. People will likely not all be warm and excited about it but try to take a breath and just give a simple "I have done the research and am satisfied that this will be a safe procedure" or something along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• Brindle4days
    replied
    You will receive criticism, that's a fact. You have to toughen your skin and not let it bother you. It's your dog, not there's.

Leave a comment:

• Maximus' Mom
    replied
    Both my boys have natural ears, but I didn't adopt them until they were 4 and 6 months old...so a bit late to be done. I would have left them natural anyway, I just like the look.

I think the cropped ears look beautiful as well, its the parent preference - (like circumcision and piercing a new born's ears).

Unfortunately you just can please everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    I had the same thing...

I typically just tell them it's my dog and my choice... however like you it really started to bother me... I did finally have enough and asked if they circumcised their son...

Leave a comment:

• Zeus&Lauren
    replied
    When I worked at a vet clinic and when my co-workers found out I was getting my Danes ears cropped they did the same thing to me. I just assured them that my breeder has a great vet and has been cropping all of her dogs ears with great success and little pain. After all, it is your dog and like you said its your personal preference. It can be a touchy subject and there are some very different opinions on it. There is always going to be someone who will tell you not to do it, so don't feel bad about your decision to crop. Good luck and congrats on your new fur baby!

Leave a comment:

• KatieRae
    replied
    Originally posted by shighland View Post
    There was a really good thread on this awhile back.
    http://dolforum.com/forum/showthread...highlight=crop

I just saw CarolB's comments and busted up laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

"Ask them if they circumcised their son."

THANK YOU CAROLB FOR MAKING MY DAY!

Leave a comment:

• shighland
    replied
    There was a really good thread on this awhile back.
    http://dolforum.com/forum/showthread...highlight=crop

Leave a comment:

Working...
X