Need help cleaning ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help cleaning ears

Hello Our Mongo has an ear infection. The problem is Mongo wants NO parts of the drops or bottle squerting or dripping in his ear. LOL It's like wrestling a bull to clean and medicate his ears. Any suggestions? He will let us play with his ears and doesn't mind us rubbing inside with a cotton ball. The doctor told us we had to squert it in there so it gets down in the ear canal but he HATES it.

Oh and treats don't work. He looks at it and says your not fooling me. I know what your up to. Lol

Thanks you for any help
    sigpic

We spray the stuff on the cotton ball and wipe what we can safely. Then we squirt and hold down while rubbing the ears, wipe what they will allow after. We team up so it's dual action and faster.

Now-- if only this worked so well when translated for nail clipping! With that said what we use for Dakota when clipping may help. Our trainer suggested getting a soft muzzle for her to keep her more in control. It's funny we place it on her randomly bc we worry about association of muzzle to nails. When we put it on she has less ability to talkback...she can drink water etc. But since she can't get all talky she just decides to submit, it's awesome! Now-- it's not like oh ok please go ahead I love this. But, she doesn't try to squirm out like we are the devil. We, probably like you, did the whole touch tug etc since we got her but she's never liked it...now it's not torture though and that's enough!

I have the soft one from petco, had to go big for her big ol nose to fit comfortably....at least with them you can return if it doesn't help.
    sigpic
    Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
    Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
    In Memory of our beloved Jake
    forever in our hearts

Comment

Lol silly dogs. Don't they understand Eglish that we are trying to help them. Thank you for your post. Will have to try the muzzle with him and see how he reacts.

Originally posted by mom4jazzie View Post
      We spray the stuff on the cotton ball and wipe what we can safely. Then we squirt and hold down while rubbing the ears, wipe what they will allow after. We team up so it's dual action and faster.

Now-- if only this worked so well when translated for nail clipping! With that said what we use for Dakota when clipping may help. Our trainer suggested getting a soft muzzle for her to keep her more in control. It's funny we place it on her randomly bc we worry about association of muzzle to nails. When we put it on she has less ability to talkback...she can drink water etc. But since she can't get all talky she just decides to submit, it's awesome! Now-- it's not like oh ok please go ahead I love this. But, she doesn't try to squirm out like we are the devil. We, probably like you, did the whole touch tug etc since we got her but she's never liked it...now it's not torture though and that's enough!

I have the soft one from petco, had to go big for her big ol nose to fit comfortably....at least with them you can return if it doesn't help.
      sigpic

Comment

It can also take a while to get a dog associated with a muzzle without negative feelings towards it. And he needs the meds in his ears sooner rather than later. Unfortunately you need to find a way to just do it, with the least trauma to his ego as possible. Maybe bring him in the bathroom with you, hide the meds behind him and sneak it in from the back of his head while someone feeds him something EXTRA yummy. Canned food, cooked chicken. Start the feeding before you touch his ears though, so maybe he's paying more attention to that. Good luck!
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

It helps if you warm up the stuff beforehand. Carry the bottle around in your pocket awhile before ear cleaning time.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          Fergus
          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
          Eisen Shark
          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
          X