X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan3151
    started a topic Dang nabbit!!! First bad wrapping:-/

Dang nabbit!!! First bad wrapping:-/

So Titan wet in for his weekly wrapping and I should have known.
    Chris took him in for me and I met them atthe house a little later for lunch...
    Anyhow they looked REALLY thin (thinner than usual)
    Anyhow I fussed over them and felt them and really couldn't feel heat...
    Anyhow he seemed a little more fussy with them and messing with them yesterday so I pulled the tape back just a little to expose the tip (still not positive about taping) and they felt fine no heat smelled them and really couldn't smell much.... Well today I got home from work he was really sensitive and whinny.... So I pulled the tape off and I'm so upset I can hardly wait untill the office opens tomorrow cause I'm calling and chewing some butt!

Pulled the tape off the ears that seemed to be bothering him the most and upon pulking the tape it noticed the ear was cold... Not cooler than his body I mean COLD. Pulling more tape I see that they have him wrapped so tight the the edges are practically touching. The inside of the leathers are pale and white. All the while Titan is yelping and hollering. I immediately finish that ear and get to work on the other ear. Same thing but when I got to the base I was about knocked out with the smell.... My poor boy smells so bad. There's a green goopy mess. As soon as I can upload a pic I'll attach one.

Please tell me they didn't screw up my little mans ears

The color is back as well as warmth. It's been about 10 minutes since I pulled them down but his ears are super droopy

• krista
    replied
    About breathe rite strips

Your boy looks magnificent. So glad you got everything figured out and the vet is listening to you, and offering to retrain that vet that could have caused dead ears, which would have fallen off in the end.

I am not sure about the method you are using, but I have been cropping and posting for 15 years. The absolute very best posting material I have used is pipe foam insulation. Buy some ostobond skin bond by smith and nephew, and slather that on the pipe foam. After you have cut it to size of course. Then insert into the canal of the ear once the ostobond is tacky and sticky. Stretch the ear up from the tip to elongate the ears and place firmly against the tacky pipe foam. Then wrap from base to tip with zonas tape.

Now with the breathe rite strips, these are not good at this age. I have only used them on an older dane that had half way up issues or tip issues. I know you said that the bases are up, but I don't think your dog is old enough to be out of full posts from canal to tip. They really need that base support until they are about 6 months old at least, as they start teething and what not, have growing spurts etc, and the ears will fall. Best to post fully for now. When he is older and needs upper ear support, then it would be a good idea. Hope this helps give you a bit more advice and helps you make a more informed decision.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    Update,

Took the foam in today and expressed I complete irritation. They understood my concerns and they will definitely find out which one did it, and the vet that performed the crop will work with her to re-train. However they told me that the only one that will post his ears is the girl that's been doing them the last 2 times. Elvira is her name.

On that note the goop is gone, and ears look normal so I tried to post with the paper towel method someone mentioned on one of my other post. One is excellent and the other flipped out when he shook his head... Lol anyhow I ran out of tape. But I got to looking at his ears and wonder could we use breath right strips. His base is standing beautifully and only the tips droop. It's been 3 weeks and his ears don't start dropping until the 2nd day out if the tapes. Remember the vet had him on a 5 days up and 2 days rested. Just curious (paranoia might be playing a factor too) I know taping is easy but it is a bit daunghting at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
    The first few times I taped I was sticking it down into the ear. Rupert hated it, it bugged him so much, so I started placing it just above the "bump" and he was much better about it. The ears stayed cleaner that way too, less irritation in the canal. As for tightness of the tape, the best bet is to rip off sections of the tape, like 4 inches or so and wrap each piece around. The problem is when you are using the roll of tape to tape. If someone puts the end of the tape on the ear and then just starts wrapping around the ear without tearing the tape off it is going to end up very tight, because you are using the ear itself to get the tape off the roll. Is that understandable? Not sure I'm explaining it well. Anyhoo, rip sections off before you tape, I used to put Rupert on the table after I ripped a bunch of sections of tape and stuck them to the lip of the table in preparation. Obviously he got to big for it, but you get the drift.

nope fully understood what you were saying and yes... everything I read and watched says to cut sections and get everything prepared before calling the pooch!. his ears are pretty erect and stay erect for almost two days then the tips tend to droop but his ear stands (as far as I can tell) really good for 3 weeks post surgery and 2 full tapings.

Leave a comment:

• Sparrow
    replied
    The first few times I taped I was sticking it down into the ear. Rupert hated it, it bugged him so much, so I started placing it just above the "bump" and he was much better about it. The ears stayed cleaner that way too, less irritation in the canal. As for tightness of the tape, the best bet is to rip off sections of the tape, like 4 inches or so and wrap each piece around. The problem is when you are using the roll of tape to tape. If someone puts the end of the tape on the ear and then just starts wrapping around the ear without tearing the tape off it is going to end up very tight, because you are using the ear itself to get the tape off the roll. Is that understandable? Not sure I'm explaining it well. Anyhoo, rip sections off before you tape, I used to put Rupert on the table after I ripped a bunch of sections of tape and stuck them to the lip of the table in preparation. Obviously he got to big for it, but you get the drift.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
    Thank God you followed your gut and took those off. He would have no ears left. I think he'll be ok. I have had the goopiness before, just sprinkle some gold bond on the areas where the goop was (I usually put it in the flap). Good luck with him!

thanks Sparrow....

sometimes it pays to be paranoid. I am still massaging those ears and tips... this morning he looked pretty good and was not shaking or sensitive with them. He doesn't seem traumatized. but I will definitely be wrapping myself. I bagged up the foam and I'm taking it to the Vet and showing Dr. Palmer what happened so that she can take action with this tech. Whether it be to stop having her tape or re-educate her on the proper way to tape.

one more question about taping (okay maybe)-
    I've seen two different ways of "stuffing" the ear... some say to push the foam, backer rod etc. about and inch down into the ear.... and the others say to just set it on the button and leave a "breathing space"

ha of course I'm so confused and of course nervous. one thing I noticed is that ALL the videos said to just lay the tap on the ear and not pull it once it is wrapped "smash it all down"

Leave a comment:

• Sparrow
    replied
    Thank God you followed your gut and took those off. He would have no ears left. I think he'll be ok. I have had the goopiness before, just sprinkle some gold bond on the areas where the goop was (I usually put it in the flap). Good luck with him!

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    All the sores are gone there is only one small scab on the tip.
    this foam are WHITE but after a little over a day and a half up this is what I pulled out. as I said in the original post they usually stay up for 5 days and the foam come out pretty clean. So this tells me they didn't clean them before putting them back up

the pic of his ear shows the green goop I found.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Leave a comment:

• HarlequinHorror
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your boys ears Definitely find out which vet tech, they should not be allowed to do taping.. Hope his ears recover okay.

Leave a comment:

• Titan3151
    replied
    I bought all the stuff to do it and I plan to do taping myself but I still plan on finding out which tech did this so they can either STOP tapping or the vet can educate them on this....

I've been running and massaging his ears all night, wiped them out with alcohol on a cotton ball. Put the foam they used in a baggy and I'm going up there in person to show them.... The foam is horrific for 2 days past postings have been for 5 days and they always come out remarkably clean.... This was just a mess this time.

Leave a comment:

• saharadane
    replied
    Very lucky that you checked his ears. The tissue could have died.

Sounds like you need to start taping the ears yourself. I hope he isn't now sensitive to having his ears touched. It isn't that hard to tape. There are videos online. Some of the members here have the links to the instructions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X