Is anyone seeing less vets cropping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone seeing less vets cropping?

Turns out my vet who did my first Danes ears (9yrs) isn't cropping anymore I'm so disappointed he was the best. Got a good referral to now the only clinic that crops in my region (anchorage/matsu). I was shocked how with in 9 years 3 clinics stopped cropping in my area. Is anyone else running into this? Are lots of vets moving away from cropping?

Note: she is a show pup that's why I'm cropping and my breeder does not crop she shows natural ears she lives in NY offered to find someone there but since i'd have to ship her back it was done there I opted to have it done here which she was ok with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree less and less vets are cropping and even fewer are good. Both my dogs were done by their breeders vet in Florida but I do know here in Massachusetts there are only a couple that crop

Comment

Yes, I was shocked when I called my vet and he no longer does them, called our large breed vet he doesn't do them... called one that recommended here locally and they wanted $765.00 that seemed excessively high to me. and then I called a breeder recommended cropper they wanted $575.00. I called my Vet again and asked her (long time family vet and I trust her) if she recommended one and she said the one that was 575.0 so needless to say we have an appointment this coming Tuesday. I'm both excited and nervous! My dad is happy that "Diane" was able to help me out a little...
      sigpic
      Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
      Titan - GD
      Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
      Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
      Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I've also noticed this. I live in WV so I figured they would be far & wide anyway but geez. After several days of phone calls I ended up with most of the vets not cropping at all, then the few that did were outrageous. By outrageous I don't just mean the cost, one gave me a $850 estimate with no referrals or pics of dogs they had done in the past...no, she said, "most vets have quit cropping since it's no longer a breed standard so we don't perform them often." Yea like I'm going to pay that much for an amateur vet...ha!
        You can't really put a price on a nicely done crop but I want references! I ended up driving 6 hours round trip to Timber's cropping vet & they didn't do too bad of a job, could've been worse & the price wasn't bad either at $380. Like previously mentioned, finding GOOD cropping vets is 3x as difficult...it's a shame really. I love the cropped look...
        sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

I think cropping is slowly on its way out. More and more are showing natural ears and fewer and fewer vets are choosing to crop. I don't think it will vanish in my generation, but it is moving in that direction.

*Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

I wonder if its like ocenbluedanes said, cropping is on the way out. I thought I read that in parts of Europe cropping has been outlawed. That makes me wonder about breeds where they dock tails..would that follow the same path?

I love natural ears so no problem for me!
            sigpic
            Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
            Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
            In Memory of our beloved Jake
            forever in our hearts

Comment

Originally posted by mom4jazzie View Post
              I wonder if its like ocenbluedanes said, cropping is on the way out. I thought I read that in parts of Europe cropping has been outlawed. That makes me wonder about breeds where they dock tails..would that follow the same path?

Cropping is illegal here (Ireland) and since this year now is docking also. This is also the case in the UK. At Crufts you can no longer show a docked dog (unless it was docked before the ban), and cropping has been banned for many years. Some other parts of Europe have it banned too but some countries still have it legal. Seeing dobies and other breeds that are cropped and docked in the US natural here is becoming the norm.
              sigpic

Comment

So I know I am going to get alot of flack for this one lol. Alot of people are starting to see cropping as inhumane. To do a good job, you have to do them often, and most vets aren't. Puppies aren't the best anesthetic candidtes either I know alot of people will tell you there is no pain after the first day, but I call bull on that one. 1) if there was no pain, why do they go home on pain meds?! 2) Try cutting off your ear then tell me there is no pain after 1 day Anyway, since most people don't do it anymore, neither do most vets.

Comment

Is anyone seeing less vets cropping?

Originally posted by ematlock View Post
                  So I know I am going to get alot of flack for this one lol. Alot of people are starting to see cropping as inhumane. To do a good job, you have to do them often, and most vets aren't. Puppies aren't the best anesthetic candidtes either I know alot of people will tell you there is no pain after the first day, but I call bull on that one. 1) if there was no pain, why do they go home on pain meds?! 2) Try cutting off your ear then tell me there is no pain after 1 day Anyway, since most people don't do it anymore, neither do most vets.

Have you ever picked a puppy up from being cropped? Zephyr didn't come home with pain meds and ran head first into the wall right when he got home when he had a zoomie outburst and didn't even notice. He screamed getting microchipped and that was way worse than post crop, neuter or pexi.
                  And for what it's worth, I know people in the body mod scene who have split their tongues and altered their ears under local anesthetic and weren't in severe pain afterwards.
                  Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                  Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Well I'm not here to argue. Its just my opinion No I have never had a dog cropped, but I am a Veterinary Technician, and I don't think I will ever be convinced it is not painful. Its a personal decision though. To me, it seems like a big thing to do just for cosmetics. But I know I am fighting a loosing battle with the huge population of show people on here

Comment

Originally posted by ematlock View Post

I don't think you'll get a lot of flack. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Any and every surgical procedure is not without some risk and/or pain (elective or not).

I know many vets (actually most IME) who do not send home on pain meds. I do request them, not because I really think the pups are in pain but because I'm a wimp and want to be sure they aren't uncomfortable. And actually, though I am not a vet, I have been told by many that puppies have a very high pain threshold.

I have both cropped and uncropped Danes in my home. I like both but do personally prefer the look of a good crop. That said, nothing is worse than a botched crop job and that goes for both the vet and the aftercare.

I grew up in Danes and have taped many, many puppies in my life. Never once had a crop flop. We did however have a natural eared male whose ears were the scorn of his life. He was always injuring them, they were always bleeding and infected and horribly scarred. He also had yeast issues off and on. So I've personally seen it go both ways.

I do not think the government should have the right to tell dog owners if they can or cannot crop. I do not consider cropping any more or less inhumane than spaying/neutering. That said, I do think the day is coming that cropping will be banned. Not in the immediate future though.

*Jennifer*
                      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                      sigpic

Comment

Once this Dr. Retires Alaskans might be out of luck completely. (There is one more I know of but have heard can't do a show crop at all!) Alaskans feel free to correct me if there are others out there. I like a good crop but am wary to make a 10hr drive through the mountains during icy/breakup season. Think we are leaning towards leaving them as they are maybe she won't be alone in the ring with her ears.

Comment

I can't know my dogs pain but, when Diesel came home the day after his cropping and was jumping all over the place wanting to play. He acted like it didn't happen and that helped me not to dot over him so much lol. I also believe that the government shouldn't choose if we can do ear cropping or not too. Spaying and neutering is much more painful for a dog and can be harmful since the dog isn't getting the hormones from the parts they were born with. It certainly feels like cropping is going out and not by law here but, by vets just not learning the art anymore.
                          I love my Great Danes to be cropped. A Great Dane with a beautiful crop just makes them that more regal in my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by mom4jazzie View Post

In many if not all parts of Europe and I am pretty sure Australia tail docking and ear cropping is illegal!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
                              Have you ever picked a puppy up from being cropped? Zephyr didn't come home with pain meds and ran head first into the wall right when he got home when he had a zoomie outburst and didn't even notice. He screamed getting microchipped and that was way worse than post crop, neuter or pexi.
                              And for what it's worth, I know people in the body mod scene who have split their tongues and altered their ears under local anesthetic and weren't in severe pain afterwards.
                              body mod scene here! my eats ate stretched to 1 inch and I have had several implants. I will tell you that it DOES hurt for a few days after. it isn't unbearable "omg kill pain" but it is certainly painful.

Imo puppies are in some pain for a while after a crop but that is maybe just me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X